Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 15:03   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Help Ranking These Cats

Life long monohull sailor and coastal cruiser looking for larger boat for growing family. Experienced offshore in monohulls to bermuda and windwards several times. Interested in exploring the dark side. Plan to do some chartering in the windwards to get an idea of how we like the way cruising cats (sorry for genearalization) behave in a seaway and if its for us. Not knowing much about build quality and seakeeping attributes of cats Im looking for "Opinions" on the following makes. I know im probably painting with too broad of a brush and what is a plus for you might be a minus for me but I have to start somewhere. Of these makes I would like to know your thoughts on ranking in quality of build and suitability for blue water cruising. Or tell me which ones to run like hell from. Also intersted in bridge deck clearance as I hear thats important to avoid pounding in a seaway.

Dean
Crowther
Fountaine Pajot Antigua 37, Athena 38, Tobago 35
Gemini
Lagoon probably 380 or similar
Manta
PDQ
Prout

Others I should be looking at?

Budget is 100-150k

Thanks!
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 15:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Catana, Gunboat, Chris White and Privilege....these all cost above your budget, but since we are ranking boats, why not throw them in?

Here is a whole list of them... http://www.cruisingworld.com/boats-a...ers-42719.html

YachtWorld also has most all of them listed.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 15:39   #3

Boat: Manta 40
I would recommend reading:

"Catamarans: The Complete Guide for Cruising Sailors" by Gregor Tarjan
Old 11-12-2009, 15:44   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I would add Chris White's book.....The Cruising Multihull....between these 2 books I made the decision to buy my cat, and I am happy about going over to the DARKSIDE..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 16:06   #5

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
With your budget the only one from your list that is a proven blue water cat is probably an old Prouts... Snowgoose, things like that. Stretch the budget a bit further and go for an early Privilege and you'll be very happy.

I've just been aboard my first Manta and that is a great boat. That though was a 42 and you'll be looking at nearer 300k for one of those.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:35   #6

Boat: Simpson Cloud Nine
If better than average workmanship on boats is on your priority list you might want to check out the Lagoon.
viajaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:35   #7

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
First -- what defines a "blue water" cat? That's a tough one worthy of its own long thread, as you will get all kinds of opinions and people have successfully crossed the pond in some questionable craft of all types.

I think of "blue water" as being more than 3 days from the nearest harbor of refuge, on the assumption that any forecast longer than 3 days in the future is basically unreliable and you need to be able to deal with whatever nature throws your way. Of course, local squalls and wind-against-current situations can still kick the @#$% out of you --even coastal.

Anything "blue water" in a cat is likely to break your $150k budget, unless it is an older model crying out for refurb work that will still break your budget. IMHO -- unless willing to go up con$iderably for boat and prep, you will likely be getting a cruising cat more suitable for coastal use and island hopping (but "questionable craft" for true offshore).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:49   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I wouldn't pass up looking at one off, and custom cats also. You will find both shoddy work, and better than factory work in these cats. BEST WISHES in finding a cat to serve you well...........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:33   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Crowther was a designer not a manufacturer/seller so you can find Crowther boats at various levels of build quality. The other boats listed are "off the rack" production boats so their build quality will probably be more consistent whether good or bad.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:25   #10

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajaero View Post
If better than average workmanship on boats is on your priority list you might want to check out the Lagoon.
Sorry, but no.

Lagoons, like the FP I own, are decent enough but I'd never class them as better than average. Hence the price.

You get what you pay for.

The best cats I've looked at are Privilege and Outremers. Good sailing boats which are built solid. The Outremer is built more towards the performance end of the scale whilst the Privilege is an absolutely wonderful cruising yacht.

I love my boat but she is what she is - a very budget oriented boat. And she is a quick sailor and fun.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:05   #11

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 400
A PDQ36, made in Canada is a very good choice. Great boat for the Caribbean Isl.
Check out Just Catamarans - Catamaran Listings: Kopykat
I love this boat, but upgraded because we are planing to circumnavigate.
KatKokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:15   #12

Boat: prout event 34
Prouts have been around the world numerous times and they claim that a conventionally rigged one has never been upsidedown. We love our Prout Event 34 and it will go anywhere. We are always comforted by another Event owner of 15 years that said "the boat will survive anything but, will you?" By the by our boat is for sale for reasons completly separate from crusing. PM us for details.
bobelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:51   #13

Boat: Admiral 38 Catamaran - afLOAT
We are the new owners of an Admiral 38, manufactured in South Africa. It was sailed over to Florida and the original owners were liveaboard cruisers for 1 1/2 years throughout the Caribbean. They loved this catamaran and as the second owners of this Admiral 38, we have assumed the love affair. We've sailed from Panama through the San Blas Islands, and this winter will be snowbird cruisers for 5+ months in the Bahamas, Cuba and wherever else the adventure takes us. The Admiral is a beautifully appointed catamaran, fully equipped and sails very well. Future plans in this dependable cat include punching through the Panama Canal and doing the South Pacific. While the Admiral is beyond your budget of $100-150K, I wanted to chime in with a solid endorsement of the Admiral catamaran brand that is oftentimes not included in comparison lists.
teej
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 13:16   #14

Boat: Taswell 49
The PDQ looks like a nice boat. Are they not suitable for offshore work? How bad is it on theh wallet to have a 37-40 cat hauled for bottom work etc? I would imagine finding a yard that can accomodate the beam would be challenging. None of the yards in Annapolis seem to have any cats.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 14:12   #15

Boat: Manta 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
The PDQ looks like a nice boat. Are they not suitable for offshore work? How bad is it on theh wallet to have a 37-40 cat hauled for bottom work etc? I would imagine finding a yard that can accomodate the beam would be challenging. None of the yards in Annapolis seem to have any cats.
If you stay approx 21' or under you won't have a problem finding a lift and with the lift trailers becoming more popular it will get easier.

It will usually cost extra for storage of the extra beam if it actually takes up two spaces. Sometimes we have been charged extra sometimes not.

We haven't have the experience of what seems like alot of people in the dockage costing more. We have never had a long term slip, only overnight spots and have actually gotten some cheap spots by coming in late and them just saying "tie up at the fuel dock and be gone early".

We had spent anywhere from 250-600$ for a haulout/hi-pressure wash/blockup then refloat. Bottom paint and everything else will be extra.