Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 15:57   #1

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Help, New Cat, need sailing lessons in Florida

New to Sailing Catamaran, Never sailed one before. I'm looking for a couple hours lessons by someone who knows more than me, which is probably everyone.

I've driven motorboats for years, and sailed a few small monohulls, and one Hobiecat.

Seller was going to give a couple lessons at purchase, but bugged out on me, something about visiting family at Christmas.

I can do Tampa to Miami, anytime between now, and delivery Dec 20th, ...or later if needed.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 20:24   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Help, New Cat, need sailing lessons in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Snip

I can do Tampa to Miami, anytime between now, and delivery Dec 20th, ...or later if needed.
Depending on your route planning you may wind up doing more motoring than sailing. The ICW runs from Tampa to Ft. Myers, then the waterway to Stuart which most likely is all motoring, and then the ICW down to Miami. It is possible you might go under the Seven Mile Bridge and back up to Miami but that is significantly longer.

It is not clear to me if you are asking for lessons on your boat or on another boat. In any case you may want to consider motoring to your destination if you feel uncomfortable sailing.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 21:14   #3

I can’t do the delivery but I’d be happy to meet with you and teach you the basics once in Miami. In a past life I ran a cat for a private owner. Lived on it, on and off for 3 years.

If your feeling real lost then you might want to bite the bullet and hire a delivery captain.

As for the route, if you can get through the 7 mile bridge then it would be a fun trip. The section between Tampa and the keys can get a bit choppy but nothing beats sailing up the coast with an offshore breeze.

Seriously, Shoot me a PM if you want sailing lessons.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:31   #4

Contact Sailing Florida in St. Pete. You could hire one of their Captains - I recommend Captain Roy - or take lessons from them on your boat.

https://sailingflorida.com/st-peters...sa-curriculum/
Go Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:48   #5

Boat: Beneteau 43

Jeff Grossman and Jean Levine are near Burnt Store Marina, Charlotte Harbor.
Their company name is Two Can Sail. Both are excellent and very, very, experienced. Have first hand experience and recommend them highly.
sailorbobdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 20:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Depending on your route planning you may wind up doing more motoring than sailing. The ICW runs from Tampa to Ft. Myers, then the waterway to Stuart which most likely is all motoring, and then the ICW down to Miami. It is possible you might go under the Seven Mile Bridge and back up to Miami but that is significantly longer.

It is not clear to me if you are asking for lessons on your boat or on another boat. In any case you may want to consider motoring to your destination if you feel uncomfortable sailing.

That may be my best bet, motor home then take sailing lessons in St Pete.

Starting in Fort Lauderdale, and ending in Tampa. The boats in Fort Lauderdale now.
Old 07-12-2019, 23:05   #7

Quote:
New to Sailing Catamaran, Never sailed one before. I'm looking for a couple hours lessons by someone who knows more than me, which is probably everyone.

I've driven motorboats for years, and sailed a few small monohulls, and one Hobiecat.

Seller was going to give a couple lessons at purchase, but bugged out on me, something about visiting family at Christmas.

Define "small monohull". If it's a 30-35' monohull, you should have the basic knowledge already. If in doubt sail conservatively keeping an extra reef in even moderate conditions (so what if people think you odd). Motor if needed. Most cats make excellent trawlers under power.

Then once you get settled, take some training or experiment in moderate conditions until you have a good feel for her.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 15:03   #8

26ft was the biggest i owned it just a couple years, maybe a dozen trips, and two offshore off of Panama City, one in a big thunderstorm.
Old 08-12-2019, 16:10   #9

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
26ft was the biggest i owned it just a couple years, maybe a dozen trips, and two offshore off of Panama City, one in a big thunderstorm.
Truth be told a lot depends on the boat and how it is set up. I have a Seawind I modified so the jib is self tacking with furling along with a screecher on a bow sprit with furling; all the lines lead to one of the two steering stations and the visibility is super good. Result is that I can, and have, singled handed the boat with ease. On the other hand I have been on some boats where the steering station is not accessed easily and lines are poorly placed so it is necessary to leave the steering station(s) to trim sales or adjust the traveler.

Getting lessons on a boat that is very different than yours might not help you out a lot in terms getting you up to speed on how to sail your boat. Another thing you need to consider is that which ever route you take you will be doing a lot of heading North. This time of year cold fronts can last up to a week with 20+ knots directly on the nose; not to mention sometimes confused seas on the outside. This could mean a lot of motoring. Not sure what your schedule is but I would consider heading South to Marathon/BKH and spending a while there based on weather and if you were having fun. That should be an easy trip and if you have a furling head sail an easy way to break into sailing the boat. Then under the Seven Mile Bridge and up the coast with multiple stops anchoring/mooring at night and moving during the day. Once you get to Ft. Myers the ICW is all on the inside if you want it. Knowing which cat you are getting and how it is set up; this means do the lines lead to the steering station(s) would help advise you as to just how much help you would need to get your boat to St. Pete.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 18:22   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:

sending PM. Just got back from a Ft Laud to USVI delivery of Saba 50. Being based in St Pete, I have done the trip several times.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 15:57   #11

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I will motor to Cape Coral, and get lessons in St Pete. Plenty of sailing schools, and captains there, and no rush.

Tags
florida, sail, sailing, sailing lessons