Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 15:07   #1

Help in Getting Started

Hi, new here, though I have read many of your interesting posts. I have no input to contribute, just a question for now. I am very interested in learning as much as I can about cat sailboats. My wife and I took a week long sailing course a few years back, and I have been around boats all my life, and have owned from 12 ft to 35 ft power. We will be in the position sometime in the near future to purchase a very nice cat, but, until then, I would appreciate some pointers as far as reading material such as books or mags on bluewater cruising, cat sailboats, etc. I do subscribe to Att. and Lat. and pick up Sailing mags when I find them, but, now I really want to start studying. When the time comes, who would be recommended for schooling in either Fla or Bahamas, etc. Thanks so much for any info...Fred
daystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:53   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: help in getting started

Hello Fred,
What I would suggest you do is go to the multi-hull section of this forum and start paging backwards. You can read the threads that are of interest to you.

Another suggestion is to do the Cruisers Forum Google Search. It is under the "search" tab and the second option down. Try searching "catamaran sailing school florida". Reading materials, try "catamaran book magazine".

Good Luck.
Old 11-03-2012, 18:15   #3

I just subscribed to Multihulls-World. It's a great magazine with tons of information. Occasionally slightly off translations because the parent mag is French, but it's got a wealth of information about Cats. People write in from different places. They have reviews of different models. Really a great magazine.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 23:59   #4

Boat: First cat Lock Crowther # 150 47' cat, next cat, still looking ..............

Hi Fred,

Try reading all of Gavin LeSueur's books, (Australian) He has great incite and thousands of miles of hands-on real-time experience, on serious multihull cruising, racing, and on many different types of multihulls.

Try to get out sailing on as many different types of designs as possible.
Also determine, the actual real intended use of the boat, this will help quickly weed out the designs that wont fill your personal intended use.
whatsupdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:53   #5

Thanks so much. I will look on line and order suggested material. Got one more question. I have quite a bit of bluewater, and inshore fishing. Now, sail boats, all kinds, but, especially the cats interest me. But, before this fuel problem began to raise it's head again, I was seriously considering a sportfisher, like a spencer, etc. Well, that is out. Save the money and charter. But, how many of you fish from your cats? I know they are not set up like a sportsfisherman, but, I sure would like the ability to bottom fish, and of course set out the lures while underway. Thanks again
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52   #6

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Where will you be sailing or better where is your home port to be ? Our Gemini cat was setup with 4 pole holders and I carry 2 hand line setups. The previous owner did a lot of trolling off San Diago and did good. On our first cruse from San Diago to Catalina island we did some trolling and got a nice sized tuna using a fishing pole. Keeping the boat going slow enough is the problem.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:21   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by daystar View Post
...But, how many of you fish from your cats? I know they are not set up like a sportsfisherman, but, I sure would like the ability to bottom fish, and of course set out the lures while underway. Thanks again
I fish a lot from my cat and, due to the wide beam, they can in fact be set-up a lot like a sportfisher -- except you don't need outriggers! Underway, I normally run two tuna sticks on either side of the stern and rig a drop-back-loop/flat-line with a rubber band. I have run a spread of up to 5 rods off the back of a cat -- and we landed all 5 fish!

I've even hooked up on a White Marlin (Bahamas) and a Long Billed Swordfish (Guatemala) off the back of my cat. Played them both for about 30 minutes before bringing along side and releasing. Lots of decks space for playing fish.

I also used to have a down-rigger off the stern but found I did not use it enough to justify it being there. Now, I bottom fish with a handline or appropriately rigged rod.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 13:14   #8

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

You can buy this book off the shelf at Barnes and Noble.
REFERENCE BOOK: “CATAMARANS, The Complete Guide for Cruising Sailors” - Aeroyacht This book rocks.
They also carry the french mag Multihulls World in english.
The american mag Multihulls which is not to be confused with the french mag is only available online now. You can get a free older issue if you register with the Catamaran Company.
Both The Catamaran Company and The Multihull Company have really good resources sections. These 2 companies are the biggest multi brokers worldwide. I particularly like their new listing/price reduced section.
Good luck
Old 12-03-2012, 14:28   #9

Great, thanks. We plan to move back to Fla. Wife would like a condo in the keys, not sure about that. Flyfished the area out of a Hewes for many years before moving to Mt. Def. want to sail the islands. I have been to Belize looking for permit, but, I would love to sail there, etc. The white must have been fun. I don't think I would have released the broadbill, unless it was undersized, or I had not checked in with the Bahamian gov. first. Keep the downrigger, works great for slow trolling for wahoo and grouper in the shallower reefs. Again, thanks so much for the responses
Old 14-03-2012, 07:00   #10

Quote:
Great, thanks. We plan to move back to Fla. Wife would like a condo in the keys, not sure about that. Flyfished the area out of a Hewes for many years before moving to Mt. Def. want to sail the islands. I have been to Belize looking for permit, but, I would love to sail there, etc. The white must have been fun. I don't think I would have released the broadbill, unless it was undersized, or I had not checked in with the Bahamian gov. first. Keep the downrigger, works great for slow trolling for wahoo and grouper in the shallower reefs. Again, thanks so much for the responses
Although...good time to buy real estate in FL...prices are certainly right !

Just learning to fly-fish. I've even thrown a few casts off the deck of the cat.

Belize is a great sailing venue (ran charters there from 2005-2010), but the waters are quite complex -- makes it great for fishing and snorkeling, but also creates lots of opportunities to go aground. See discussions here on CF about Belize.

Yes, the White and the Longbill were both fun. The Longbill in particular was quite a surprise, they are very uncommon here in Guate (and prohibited to take), I thought I had a big Cudda or trash...pumped the rod a couple of times and he stood up and tail walked about 10 yards across the stern....Holy F, what a surprise!

The downrigger can be handy, but I didn't use it as much as I thought and it was often in the way.
Old 14-03-2012, 14:31   #11

Thanks, Belizesailor,

That is interesting about the sword. I wonder why they are not allowed for harvest. Got to tell you, I really enjoy reading all of the posts here. Already ordered Cat the com. Guide... and subscribed multihull. I like cats, and if we ever decide to do a cc, I would really consider the Freeman. Ok, going to read more of your posts...
Old 14-03-2012, 16:45   #12

Quote:
Thanks, Belizesailor,

That is interesting about the sword. I wonder why they are not allowed for harvest. Got to tell you, I really enjoy reading all of the posts here. Already ordered Cat the com. Guide... and subscribed multihull. I like cats, and if we ever decide to do a cc, I would really consider the Freeman. Ok, going to read more of your posts...
You're welcome.

I assume the prohibition here on the Carib coast of Guate is because there are not many of them. The West coast of Guate is a Marlin and Sailfish hotspot, but I think most boat practice catch-and-release anyway (not sure of the regs on that side).