Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2018, 16:19   #1

Boat: Berkstresser 60
Hello Cat people

Hello Cruisers,

I have been on the darkside building some powercats the last few years, but had a chance to get out on our 60' sailing cat the last few weekends and it has been fantastic ! We used to live on the cat and do charters primarily in the Virgins . Hope to see you out on the water !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (166).jpg
Views:	244
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	171831  
Berky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 18:29   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Hello Cat people

Is that the one for sale? Very cool. I grew up in St. Pete btw.
Old 15-06-2018, 19:02   #3

Yes, we are considering keeping Bossanova , had her up to 22 mph two weeks ago sailing with a couple of racers without breaking a sweat in 14 to 16 mph of breeze but that was not loaded for multi month cruising and no tender . She may go back into charter service in the Virgins .
Old 15-06-2018, 21:56   #4

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Berry, beautiful cat. Never even heard of this designer. Where was she given birth at? Can the listing be found on YW?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 03:43   #5

I designed and built her in Tarpon Springs Florida as a performance cruiser in vacuum bagged epoxy with honeycomb core , she was launched in 1999 and was one of the fastest term charter boats in the Carribean from 2000 to 2005. The 14.5 : 1 WL length to beam ratio makes her fast and have a fantastic ride . I think it's sad so many new cats have turned into floating condos vs a vessel that can exceed the wind speed . The Gun boats looks cool but are big $ . We were into cruising off the beaten path when not on charter and had the boat setup for being away from the fuel dock or marina for months at a time . PM me if you want to talk about her more, I sound like a dam commercial ha ha.
Old 16-06-2018, 10:26   #6

Yesterdays sail The wind picked up a bit later .
Old 16-06-2018, 11:47   #7

Nice, except you need to tighten up the stays on your bowsprit so that you don’t have to have someone sitting on it all the time.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 12:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berky View Post
I think it's sad so many new cats have turned into floating condos vs a vessel that can exceed the wind speed .
Why? Just don't buy one. You prioritize speed, but real world conditions say we're on the hook the vast majority of the time and floaties, scuba, bikes and all the rest make cruising super fun. Not to mention washing/drying clothes and all the practical things modern cruising cats can do so we spend less time on chores and more time with our toys and blender.

Pro-tip... when telling us how real sailing should happen, use sailing lingo. For example, sailors don't usually brag about speed in mph. We travel in knots.

Just giving you a hard time. Looks like a fun boat!
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 13:34   #9

Aye aye captain 20.2 k.

I was single when I started to build this cat and was considering going with a open rocketship type boat with blisters for the berth area (a friend is putting a cabin on his open boat now that he has a family), but then thought about the charter business to substain the dream and glad that I did . I have been out of the loop with sail stuff for a while and was suprised to see route it has gone yet I did the same thing in a sense with Bossanova .There's a certain point when you have so much weight and windage in a given length that sailing up wind becomes difficult and a trawler type cat makes sense. This is just my own ramblings take it all with a large gain of salt .
Old 17-06-2018, 09:08   #10

Your perspective is common enough, though mostly, I suspect, with armchair sailors (not implying that you are one). Look at the ARC rally for a real world conditions of “fast” vs “condo.” Yeah, the Outremer beats the Lagoon by a day and used its motor less, but extrapolate that to the much shorter sails of real world life and the results are negligible. Sailing Bahamas to PR, the outremer may arrive a few hours early, but they might lose that extra time heading to shore to resupply since their food storage is so much less (meaning less efficient use of time and beholds to the whims of whatever food is locally available).

If I was circumnavigating, I would prioritize a boat that could easily cover 200+ miles per day. For the Caribbean/Med axis, give me an Astrea or Saona any day.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 16:05   #11

Yes It is all about different strokes , I grew up racing sailboards professionally and am a bit of a speed junkie but as I get older I'm not as apt to push the limit as hard . There's a certain point in my mind that a sailing house boat doesn't make as much sense as a powered (either electrons or fossil fuel) house boat . I think the 100-260k that it takes to make a 60' cat sail could be used for a eboat with solar panels and a kite .
Old 17-06-2018, 17:17   #12

Boat: 50' Ligure power cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berky View Post
Yes It is all about different strokes , I grew up racing sailboards professionally and am a bit of a speed junkie but as I get older I'm not as apt to push the limit as hard . There's a certain point in my mind that a sailing house boat doesn't make as much sense as a powered (either electrons or fossil fuel) house boat . I think the 100-260k that it takes to make a 60' cat sail could be used for a eboat with solar panels and a kite .
Yep. We've enjoyed our smaller sailboats. In fact, one of the best is a simple Hobie Tandem Island!
We're also in process of buying a 49' ocean-able power cat for the same reasons you said. It's cheaper than usual as both engines are old, which suits us as we're looking to increase the electrons substantially, at least in one hull. Finding the kite is harder, but there's an option we're looking into.
bluenomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 09:10   #13

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
Your perspective is common enough, though mostly, I suspect, with armchair sailors (not implying that you are one). Look at the ARC rally for a real world conditions of “fast” vs “condo.” Yeah, the Outremer beats the Lagoon by a day and used its motor less, but extrapolate that to the much shorter sails of real world life and the results are negligible. Sailing Bahamas to PR, the outremer may arrive a few hours early, but they might lose that extra time heading to shore to resupply since their food storage is so much less (meaning less efficient use of time and beholds to the whims of whatever food is locally available).

If I was circumnavigating, I would prioritize a boat that could easily cover 200+ miles per day. For the Caribbean/Med axis, give me an Astrea or Saona any day.
I was down in Biscayne Bay a week ago buddy boating with an Outremer. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the condomaran did. The Outremer was faster, but not a lot faster. Maybe a couple tenths of a knot. I could work my way up to 40 degrees apparent, but he could do about 36 with less effort and the same speed. We were reaching and pointing (sort of. It is a condo after all) but I'm sure if the spinnakers came out I would have received a proper spanking.

In all, I would much rather have the vast expanses of my FP vs the Outremer. My galley is twice the size, and I have a generator, and air conditioning, and a dive compressor, and a much bigger owners cabin, and a storage room..... You get the point.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 11:32   #14

Boat: longing for a trimaran

Welcome to CF Berky!
That is one beautiful cat. Also love the idea of a solar and kite powered catamaran -- no mast?
tatomaceda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 04:33   #15

I think it's fantastic that a vessel that has lots of room and things doesn't have much of a performance penalty . With the better weather forcasting nowadays it will help the condo movement as well .

It would be cool to have a small mast for launching the kite or incorporate a high aspect wing type micro fly bridge but she may be restless at anchor if the wing is to large.