Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 08:13   #1

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Heavenly Twins "Cat" vs Telstar 8M "tri"

I own a Heavenly Twins catamaran that i have been working on for the last year.

I have always liked Trimarans and a Telstar 8M has come up for sale i like.
The Telstar has had a mast extension and heavy duty rigging and stays on it.It needs a bit of work mainly cosmetic.

I like the fact that the Telstar has folding Ama's and can be put on a Trailer and moved around by road. I am researching driving it through Europe and down through China, to the South China Sea and sailing down to Thailand in it, leaving it there, then spending 6 months in the Uk and 6 months in Asia.

I know that the Heavenly Twins has a good pedigree and is a safe offshore Catamaran. Many have Circumnavigated and crossed the Atlantic from UK.

Im wondering what your thoughts are to the Telstar 8 Meter? I know some have crossed the Atlantic.
I am interested to what your thoughts would be to having this as my craft in South East Asia, do you think it is capable off shore Journeys in these waters?

I do like the Heavenly Twins but to get it there would mean a lot off sailing and my Red Sea option looks a bit unstable at the moment to say the least. Hence the idea of driving the Telstar there.

Looking forward to thoughts.
philipmclaren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:57   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Heavenly Twins "Cat" vs Telstar 8M "tri"

I owned a Telstar 8M. I bought it for the same basic trailering ability reasons you mention.

I loved it in protected waters, but was very disappointed with it in any sea state. Trying to sail into 3 foot chop on the Bahamas bank was nearly impossible. Even though it's heavier displacement than many small tri's, it's still fairly weight sensitive. I had a composting head and other weight and space saving ideas, yet I still feel it was overloaded. My 26 foot Westerly Centaur handled seas much, much better. (but was of course much slower in light air)

I know at least one Telstar has crossed the Atlantic, but in my experience, it's not a good ocean cruiser. I wonder if any of those who crossed the Atlantic in one crossed back. I sold mine after just one year of ownership.

if you get one, be very careful with those Amas when raising them and going under to pin them in place. They could kill you.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:27   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

I agree with Nautical, our Telstar was great, crossed English Channel/ La Manche several times, generally fast but stopped dead in some chop particularly motoring. Not a good load carrier. Quite how well she would stand up to such a trail would be problematical, not to mention the cost.
Could be done, but surely buying a boat locally would be favourite. There are a few listed in the area.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 18:31   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

To be a bit more specific, the solid bridge deck between the amas and other hull features caused so much under deck slamming when trying to sail or motor upwind in even moderate seas to make upwind progress in anything but ideal conditions nearly impossible.

I also had problems taking on water through the centerboard trunk, but there may have been a fix for that. Obviously interior space is very limited.

While I found it much easier to trailer than my monohull of the same length, getting it rigged and ready to launch was quite the project, nothing like a trailer sailor. It also takes a very wide launch area go launch it off the trailer.

The idea behind the Telstar is great. I give them kudos for giving it a try. The reality, not quite so great in my opinion.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:28   #5

I owned and lived on a HT27 in the 80's in Gulf of Mexico. I have never sailed a Telstar but think your trip would be safer in the HT. It does bang in a chop and doesn't point to well but if you are in no hurry, it's no problem. It's a sound ocean going boat.
Make sure you got a good diesel as you will be motoring as much as sailing.
I think you best bet would be to sail there directly.

I think your biggest concern/problem would be pulling it down through China. That might be a nightmare in itself. I'm sure you would have to get some Chinese transport company to do that for you. They are not to keen on letting foreigners drive into and through their country.

Good luck and enjoy.