Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2015, 20:25   #1

Heading for FL and the Islands this weekend

After two years of looking at boats we've finally settled back in on a cat. We're looking at a 40 Manta which is my choice but we will also look at two Catanas, a Dolphin and a Schionning. Again we are generally going to be just the two of us and neither are very experienced with sailboats.

I have a few questions. The Dolphin is a 460, the Catana in the 40s not sure which ones yet and the Schionning is a 44. I'm thinking some are too big for us although the Schionning is probably ok. I think the Catana's are a 43 and a 48. So the smaller is likely ok. I think a sea trial will help be get a small feel for how they sail but not enough time to know how well we can single hand them. I know we can handle a 40 that's set up right.

I can probably buy the Schionning right and I'm fairly certain I'll like the way she sails. I'm not crazy about the staterooms and my wife isn't. The Dolphin has been a dream for a long time but dreams can be expensive. What's not to like otherwise.

Am I thinking straight here and give me a straight answer if that's possible here.

I'd like to know about the depreciation of them all. The Schionning is a 2003. The Manta is a 1996. I don't know the Catana's but they aren't too old I think. All are in good shape I'm told although the Schionning needs a known amount of work figured into the price. The Dolphin needs nothing and is a 2006.

If this doesn't work out then I'm going to buy the 40' Stevens and get my feet wet! Tired of looking.
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 03:26   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Heading for FL and the Islands this weekend

I have worked on a few mantas, they are solid well built and cruiser friendly. A well renowned cat surveyor recently told me catanas always seem to be "painful" for buyers ,,,, I didnt ask deeper questions, but I am sure he has surveyed more than a few of both

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 05:33   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We own a Manta and the build quality and cruising friendliness is exceptional. We love this boat and find nothing wrong with it.

However, putting the Manta in the same bowl as those other boats is like putting an orange in a bowl of apples.

The sailing quality of the Manta is good, but not in the league of those others. Sea-kindliness is all about waterline and load carrying ability, so the Manta is going to fall short there in comparison. The Manta has incredible use of space, but there will simply be far more space on most of those other boats listed.

The Manta will be less expensive, though.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 10:07   #4

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
After two years of looking at boats we've finally settled back in on a cat. We're looking at a 40 Manta which is my choice but we will also look at two Catanas, a Dolphin and a Schionning. Again we are generally going to be just the two of us and neither are very experienced with sailboats.
Well, the Catanas, the Dolphin, and (I'm pretty sure) the Schionning are dagger board boats and are a bit more sophisticated sailing machines than many cats. In that neither of you "are very experienced with sailboats" perhaps you don't need one of these. Not that you couldn't grow into them. Do you want to pay a premium for performance you may not be able to exploit? Performance oriented boats do not sail themselves. But you would have more room to "grow" and perhaps this appeals to you.

Quote:
I think a sea trial will help be get a small feel for how they sail but not enough time to know how well we can single hand them. I know we can handle a 40 that's set up right.
As you gain experience you will be able to double hand these boats comfortably. You'll find that most of the time you're "no handing" them. Once you're away from the dock or anchorage single handing will be manageable.

Bigger cats really benefit from an electric winch to handle the mainsail. Mine is 47 feet and the Admiral and I weigh a combined 245 pounds (111 kg). We do fine.

Bigger is more of a chore when it comes to care and feeding, IMHO. I cuss every time we remove and re-install the mainsail. It is huge and hard to handle. Any smaller boat would have a smaller sail and I probably wouldn't cuss as much. Slinging a buffer on the fiberglass of two 40 foot hulls has to be easier than on everything bigger.

Quote:
I'd like to know about the depreciation of them all.
Compare resale prices on Yachtworld. My boat has maintained its value, neglecting the money I put into it to keep it the way I want it.

If you have specific Catana questions, I'll try to answer them.

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 10:21   #5

Quote:
Bigger is more of a chore when it comes to care and feeding, IMHO. I cuss every time we remove and re-install the mainsail. It is huge and hard to handle. Any smaller boat would have a smaller sail and I probably wouldn't cuss as much. Slinging a buffer on the fiberglass of two 40 foot hulls has to be easier than on everything bigger.
I'm glad you brought this up Dave. I know there are multi owners that have downsized and are planning to downsize. One guy wants to sell his Helia because he and his admiral don't use the port hull.

For me, it's not how much boat I can afford, rather how much boat is reasonable in terms of comfort and work.

Jerry
Old 17-01-2015, 21:10   #6

We've sailed what I thought were sluggish cats and I've wanted something more. But I'm ok with them as I grow as a sailor. Corolla or Porsche.....such a tough choice....until you see the sticker.
Old 17-01-2015, 21:13   #7

BTW flight two hours delayed so just getting to room in Pompano. Going shopping Monday.

Tags
head