Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 09:13   #31

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Hawaii next America's Cup venue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I guess if high speed on the water using corporate funds to obtain it is the goal then AC is ok.
The AC has always been this way. From the very first race that gave it its name.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:22   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Hawaii next America's Cup venue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I agree. The current AC boats are cool, but not in keeping with the traditions of the sport. I'm not saying don't race them, but in my mind an AC race should be monohulls with traditional sails.

The wing sail cats are fun to watch, I'll admit, but - they aren't AC race boats.
What are the "traditions"? Clipper ships? Long distance open ocean racing? Canvas sails and manila line? Spinnakers are not very "traditional".

The AC boats have always pushed technological innovations and have always been different than normal recreational boats.

Likewise, every time the designs change, there are a lot of people who have your complaints about it. It seems like many people view the AC boats and races that occurred during a certain period in time when they had interest in them as "normal" for AC, and anything that changes after this time as an aberration to tradition.

The AC race has never had a "traditional" boat or type of racing. It has had relatively short periods where the boats and racing didn't change too much, but also periods where the boats and racing changed dramatically.

That is what makes and defines the America's Cup. It has always been about who has the most money to invent and push boat technology as far as they can.

You can love or hate it, but you can't say it isn't "traditional".

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii