Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-09-2014, 02:27   #16

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox
Re: Hawaii next America's Cup venue?

I bought a couple of hats...pretty cheesy, you are correct.

Old 07-09-2014, 19:04   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1999 Leopard 45, 45 foot cat, 1980 Hunter 33, 33 foot monohull

I am always perplexed at the insularity of the SF Bay area crowd when it comes to San Diego. For what it is worth, I have lived aboard, sailed, charter skippered and taught sailing extensively in both places. San Diego doesn't have the howling afternoon winds of an SF Bay summer, it is certainly true, and it doesn't have the current, but there is lots of good sailing there, and it's where lots of great sailors grew up. It's not like the areas that are in the lee of Catalina like Newport Beach. And, I believe I am correct in saying that when the America's Cup was sailed in SD, not one race was ever cancelled for insufficient wind, which is pretty unique in the annals of the A Cup. Oh, and I am not planning on responding to the predictable outrage from SF sailors unless you have spent considerable time living and sailing in SD, too!

Old 08-09-2014, 16:09   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
It would never have been Honolulu anyway. Larry owns a big slab of Lanai so if anywhere in Hawaii it would be there. You can expect the place to host an AC 45 regatta.

My money says San Diego.
Lanai is much too uncommercial with only a couple of high end hotels and a couple of low end places to stay. It has two harbors that could hold maybe 60 boats max if they were monos. The commercial harbor doesn't allow recreational boats or at least didn't a couple years ago. There are no repair facilities and everything needs to be flown in or shipped in via barge from Honolulu.

Just don't think it'll be Lanai. Honolulu would be good but since the state government doesn't like boaters I'd say that is out too.
Old 10-09-2014, 16:05   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Brooks View Post
Actually the ideal location is Lake Havasua, Arizona. Plenty of gin and tonic bars in nearby resorts for all the AC owners, crewman, captains and sponsors to recover from their strenuous and tiring work on the water. And a steady 5-8 kt of wind, perfectly suited conditions for America Cup's eminently unseaworthy boats to sail in. Nice sunsets, golf courses, easy drive to Vegas, perfect sea state' and what about those temps rising off the desert! What's not to like?

Plus, no risk of canceling open day ceremonies or race series on the water because the boats couldn't go sailing in 20 knots of wind with two foot seas. ( I was there when this actually happened in SF last summer) poor little rich kids couldn't go out and show off because the weather was more than their pricy little toy yachts could manage. Didn't stop anybody else however, including the replica 130' schooner America, inch for inch a reproduction of the first winner of the Americas Cup, 100 years ago, deck loaded with 45 spectators, sailing to and fro across the Bay all afternoon - with nary a reef tied in to foresail or main!

So Lake Havasua - Bring It On!!! ITS AMERICAS CUP TIME AGAIN!!!!!
The boats were built to race in 30 knots of wind, and could have done so.
Old 10-09-2014, 17:22   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Brooks View Post
Plus, no risk of canceling open day ceremonies or race series on the water because the boats couldn't go sailing in 20 knots of wind with two foot seas. ( I was there when this actually happened in SF last summer) poor little rich kids couldn't go out and show off because the weather was more than their pricy little toy yachts could manage. Didn't stop anybody else however, including the replica 130' schooner America, inch for inch a reproduction of the first winner of the Americas Cup, 100 years ago, deck loaded with 45 spectators, sailing to and fro across the Bay all afternoon - with nary a reef tied in to foresail or main!
Thats of course totally understandable if you have any grasp of apparent wind. The AC boats were generating apparent wind speeds which would see 12 Metre AC boats being totally out of control.
Old 10-09-2014, 18:09   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I might stir up a hornet's nest by making a statement about what I believe but America's Cup sailing is to a real sailor as the Grand Prix is to a daily cummute driver. It just doesn't compute to being the same recreational pursuit and has nothing to do with an average sailor. It just plain does not interest me and I've been a sailor since the 60s.
Old 10-09-2014, 19:06   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Can't see why anyone should get upset about what may or may not interest you. To me it was an entertaining spectacle.

I like F1 too, but realize that not everybody does. NASCAR doesn't really do anything for me, but they get huge crowds.

I do think that like F1 and road cars, there will be some trickle down of technology, which will eventually make it's way into some cruising boats.
Old 10-09-2014, 20:20   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Can't see why anyone should get upset about what may or may not interest you. To me it was an entertaining spectacle.

I like F1 too, but realize that not everybody does. NASCAR doesn't really do anything for me, but they get huge crowds.

I do think that like F1 and road cars, there will be some trickle down of technology, which will eventually make it's way into some cruising boats.
Nope, not upset. Just making a statement.
Old 10-09-2014, 22:15   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Never said you were upset. (Do they teach English comprehension in American schools?)

But you seemed to think you would "stir up a hornet's nest" (presumably you mean upset other people) by your statement.

But why should it upset anyone? If you don't like AC racing, then that's your loss - it's just one source of possible entertainment you don't enjoy. Like me and NASCAR.

No big deal, and probably of no interest to anyone else at all.
Old 11-09-2014, 17:34   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Never said you were upset. (Do they teach English comprehension in American schools?)

But you seemed to think you would "stir up a hornet's nest" (presumably you mean upset other people) by your statement.

But why should it upset anyone? If you don't like AC racing, then that's your loss - it's just one source of possible entertainment you don't enjoy. Like me and NASCAR.

No big deal, and probably of no interest to anyone else at all.
Yes, I guess I did take your response as a response to my message. I've got no problem understanding the English language if it's spoken or written correctly. Other people liking what they like does not bother me nor upset me. You were the one that used the word upset. I guess the hornet's nest was poked and you responded.
Old 11-09-2014, 21:27   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So if the AC doesn't interest you, why post in a thread about it?
Old 11-09-2014, 21:43   #27

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I might stir up a hornet's nest by making a statement about what I believe but America's Cup sailing is to a real sailor as the Grand Prix is to a daily cummute driver. It just doesn't compute to being the same recreational pursuit and has nothing to do with an average sailor. It just plain does not interest me and I've been a sailor since the 60s.
I agree. The current AC boats are cool, but not in keeping with the traditions of the sport. I'm not saying don't race them, but in my mind an AC race should be monohulls with traditional sails.

The wing sail cats are fun to watch, I'll admit, but - they aren't AC race boats.
Old 11-09-2014, 22:17   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So if the AC doesn't interest you, why post in a thread about it?
Because I had something to say about it. Why are posting to my post?
Old 11-09-2014, 22:20   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I agree. The current AC boats are cool, but not in keeping with the traditions of the sport. I'm not saying don't race them, but in my mind an AC race should be monohulls with traditional sails.

The wing sail cats are fun to watch, I'll admit, but - they aren't AC race boats.
I guess if high speed on the water using corporate funds to obtain it is the goal then AC is ok. As was said, I don't need to be interested and watch so I won't.
Old 11-09-2014, 23:48   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Well actually, they are.

Tags
hawaii

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: