Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2013, 21:13   #1

Boat: 36 cross tri
Has anyone seen this cat design before? ENDLESS SUMMER

Always the optimistic dreamer, I've been looking around at build ideas that fit certain criteria, and this idea meets some of them in a really unique package. So I ask you, what are your thoughts?
pros and cons to this? it's drawn up as an eighty footer, but I would probably downsize it to around 55 and simplify it in order to lighten it up.

Now, I'm not asking "I'm a left handed dentist from Des Moines, what's the best cat for me." I'm actually looking for feedback on things I may not see or think about when I look at this build.

bridge deck clearance is my first concern, weight being another. fenders against windows has been a thought . air flow in tropical climates is yet another.

[copyrighted material deleted]
Nick Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 21:31   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Has anyone seen this cat design before? ENDLESS SUMMER

When you shrink it 25 feet it will change everything and most likely will not be that boat when you're done. If you want a 55' cat why don't you just buy plans for a 55' cat. The other issue is do you have a cool mill in cash laying around cuz you are gonna spend it.
Old 26-12-2013, 21:39   #3

It's big.

And I'm not sure the interior layout is the best.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 21:43   #4

I'm in contact with the designer regarding the resize. it's something that could be done, but you are right, it would be a different boat. and I dont think it would take a mil to build. barring the large round windows and the rear garage mechanism it should be roughly the same as any other 50-60 ft cat
Old 26-12-2013, 21:47   #5

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Stephens View Post
I'm in contact with the designer regarding the resize. it's something that could be done, but you are right, it would be a different boat. and I dont think it would take a mil to build. barring the large round windows and the rear garage mechanism it should be roughly the same as any other 50-60 ft cat
Is he an experienced cat designer/builder with a track recod of designs or more of an interior designer I think from memory??
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 22:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Is he an experienced cat designer/builder with a track recod of designs or more of an interior designer I think from memory??
your memory serves you correctly. You also have to remember, in most fields, the designers and engineers are separate entities that will work hand in hand, yet are not always the same person. I actually have more detailed plans of the boat that tell me he is very competent and thorough, but I don't expect him to actually engineer the build.
Old 26-12-2013, 22:14   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Nick,

I have seen this all over, but I haven't heard of anyone actually interested in it except you. The rendering is poor quality, and there are no details about the boat except for very general it picture stuff.

Frankly it looks like pretty vapor wear to me that desperately needs a NA to do some calculations on it. And I have some concerns about the layout even being possible.

All in all it looks like a poor competitor to a gunboat, with some interesting detail (what little can be seen from the renderings) but not an actual boat.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 22:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Nick,

I have seen this all over, but I haven't heard of anyone actually interested in it except you. The rendering is poor quality, and there are no details about the boat except for very general it picture stuff.

Frankly it looks like pretty vapor wear to me that desperately needs a NA to do some calculations on it. And I have some concerns about the layout even being possible.

All in all it looks like a poor competitor to a gunboat, with some interesting detail (what little can be seen from the renderings) but not an actual boat.
it is of course just that, a model. An idea. and that is kind of what I'm asking about. I fail to see how it can be considered a true competitor to a gunboat unless you consider all cats gunboat competitors. the fact that it has a rear garage alone should take it out of that category. The large living space and lack of forward cockpit are two other features that draw a distinct line between the two, not to mention the two aft wheel locations. If you are talking price, then it might be considered a competitor, but i see the target being of a more high end cruising nature, whereas all the gunboats i see are geared towards a racing pedigree.

This is not something I would attempt to build based on a rendering or idea alone, yet it is the idea I am asking about. the full beam salon, the locations of the wheels, the garage vs davits are some of the features that appeal to me, yet I'm wondering if these features might have pros or cons that I'm not aware of. I've sailed quite a bit on mid ranged to small tri's, cats and monos, yet never on something so big. my cat experience is limited to hobies, stilettos and macgregors, never a full cruiser.
Old 26-12-2013, 23:09   #9

Boat: Traditional 30

The elongated sugar scoops would need to be Much much shorter compared to LOA- As on a smaller craft you would lose too much volume.

At say 55 ft it wouldnt need to be cutter rigged. Nice but not imperative

But in all reality, there is probably no reason to go through the cost and "drama" of basically designing a brand new boat (which you would be doing) when there are plenty of really good production boats on the market.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 05:45   #10

If you scale it down you wind up with a warham type design where the only interior space is in the hulls (maybe a crawl way between them)

Or if you keep the bridge deck interior with full standing headroom, it looks clumsy, has a ton of windage and is top heavy.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 08:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you scale it down you wind up with a warham type design where the only interior space is in the hulls (maybe a crawl way between them)

Or if you keep the bridge deck interior with full standing headroom, it looks clumsy, has a ton of windage and is top heavy.
vallhala, look at the sig60. not clumsy nor topheavy, theirs has a step at the deck and a more rounded cabin to deal with windage, but it i still a fullsized cabin. it can be done.

the rezizing is, at this point, also not my main concern.

windage is and has been though, and i do wonder how bad it would be

[copyrighted material deleted]
Old 24-06-2014, 01:27   #12

Boat: Under Construction

There is a Cat recently sold in Florida called Endless Summer if this is the vessel you are talking about it was built on the Gold coast Australia is a Farrier F-50 Built by Steve Iken.
Zindab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 03:30   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Norseman 400 40 feet long

Agree with many buy something that is already out there that meets your requirements. If you change the length you change everything. I looked for a Norseman cat for a long time it had all I wanted, layout, bridge clearance and great blue water boat. Inexpensive as older and some go on the market every once in a while. My point is think about what you want that is already made then look for that one. Good luck
Capt RJC is offline   Reply With Quote