Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-05-2008, 16:04   #16
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Glad you're enjoying the cat! Not that your Gulfstar was anything to sneeze at, it was a very nice boat, for a monohull. But, now you're seeing some of those advantages of cats -- well designed ones (and Catalacs were certainly great, and muchly underappreciated, cats) are simply much tougher and more comfortable than many folks know.

I do have to agree with RickM, though, reef that baby when the first thought of it even crosses your mind. What we've seen in our St. Francis is that we usually don't lose much, if any, speed with one reef in, but the boat sure feels more comfortable and there's got to be much less stress on the rig.

Enjoy!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 18:19   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Glad you're enjoying the cat! Not that your Gulfstar was anything to sneeze at, it was a very nice boat, for a monohull. But, now you're seeing some of those advantages of cats -- well designed ones (and Catalacs were certainly great, and muchly underappreciated, cats) are simply much tougher and more comfortable than many folks know.

I do have to agree with RickM, though, reef that baby when the first thought of it even crosses your mind. What we've seen in our St. Francis is that we usually don't lose much, if any, speed with one reef in, but the boat sure feels more comfortable and there's got to be much less stress on the rig.

Enjoy!

ID
Thanks, ID!

I will take everyone's advice and reef early. I got "caught with my pants down" in this little story. I won't let it happen again.

Old 24-05-2008, 20:06   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
I have to question why a moderator would come into a thread, call the original poster's honesty into question, then call his prudence and condition of his former vessel into question.

Were these post written by any member of the forum other than Gord, it would have been deleted due to its unprovoked agressive nature.

A post calling someone a liar and questioning their prudence and vessel is still a post calling someone a liar and questioning their prudence and vessel, no matter how eloquently written.
When I first read your original post I was kinda surprised about the comments on your previous boat, but simply put it down as enthusiasm (and artistic licence ) as the impression I had built up was that she was a seaworthy boat in good condition and therefore at 45 foot she should not have been anywhere near "sail shredding" territory.

But obviously you are in the best position to know what she could / could not handle.

So I stand corrected (on internet no one can hear you go .....doh )......and IMO quite understandable that you did not want to fess up on that one whilst you still owned it!....and no doubt made the decision to sell easier...if not essential!!

Anyway, looking forward to hearing more adventures on the Sullivan Saga
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 21:55   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Sean
Wait until you get to make a long downwind/deep reaching run in a good steady breeze with some nice 6-10 foot swells. You will think you have died and gone to heaven.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 04:38   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
...A post calling someone a liar and questioning their prudence and vessel is still a post calling someone a liar and questioning their prudence and vessel, no matter how eloquently written.
I never implied that you are a liar, questioned your prudence, nor disparaged either of your boats.
Quite the opposite!
I opined that your Gulfstar was a “Well Found Boat”.
I indicated my “higher estimation” of both your prudence & boat, and preferred to hold a “higher opinion” of you.
I noted your preference for the Catalac, and shared your pleasure in sailing her.
I acknowledged that exaggeration, born of joy & infectious enthusiasm, is no fault.

I’ll forward your objections to my post(s) to the Management team, for their consideration, and will abide their decision.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 08:17   #21
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Sean, I think you are being a little hyper-sensitive. You hadn't said that in similar conditions, your Gulfstar had shredded sails - only that you expect it would have. If you had been telling us about a real-life experience in like conditions, then Gord's expression of doubt would have been an attack on your veracity. Since you were only speculating, he was certainly entitled to disagree - and I think he did so in not only an eloquent way, but a pleasant one.

Brad
Old 25-05-2008, 10:12   #22

Sean, Great to hear that you are not only very happy with the Catalac (a British built cat) but also that you appear to see the benefits over a monohull, I still have a monohull and am hoping to make the jump to a cat very soon and as it is a move into the unknown (although I have sailed a few now) it is nice to hear an honest, sincere and genuine comparative report from a nice down to earth guy.
Congratulations on your choice, and first long haul adventure which I have been reading all your threads and comments with great enthusiasm and interest.
All the best for the future which I would love to hear more about.
Cheers Ian
PS. Ignore negative comments by others, I would put it down to jealousy and/or lack of understaning/knowledge.
Old 25-05-2008, 13:24   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
I have to question why a moderator would come into a thread,
Moderators and Administrators are also participating members here too Sean. You being an Ex Mod should know that. We are allowed to post in the same way as anyone else. We are subject to the same rules as anyone else. We are allowed to make mistakes just like everyone else. We just have to ensure the rules are followed and that everyone is having a good time.
Maybe once you write a post, you should take some time to read it and think if the wording fits your intentions and enthusiasm. Because making a comment like this
Quote:
but I also know how to handle a boat under sail
Kind of contradicts all else that you said and seem to imply you experienced. I think that is what brought up Gords reason for comments, it certainly did me, but I decided not to post my view. I see no attack by Gord. I think it has just been interpreted that way by you.
By the way, if any Kiwi's are interested, a 9m Catalac has just been placed for sale on our Trademe board. I had never seen nor heard of one of these till Sean bought his. The onlu issue stopping us from ever looking at a Cat, is the price. Just too stoopid expensive to even consider down here. A nice couple of cats for sale here at the mo, one both are in the NZ$500K bracket second hand.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 18:45   #24
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
By the way, if any Kiwi's are interested, a 9m Catalac has just been placed for sale on our Trademe board. I had never seen nor heard of one of these till Sean bought his. The onlu issue stopping us from ever looking at a Cat, is the price. Just too stoopid expensive to even consider down here. A nice couple of cats for sale here at the mo, one both are in the NZ$500K bracket second hand.
Catalac is the model of boat I sail as well Alan.

Could you post the link to the 9M for sale in NZ? I've never heard of one crossing the Pacific.

New Zealand has some interesting prices on catamarans. I saw a Gemini 105 selling for $300K (NZ dollars). You buy them new here in the States for around $160K (USD). The exchange rate is $1.27 NZ to a USD so it must cost a fortune to ship the boats or somebody loaded the boats up with gadgets.
Old 26-05-2008, 00:06   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's a Gemini.
Cruising Catamaran for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
The Catalac seems to be gone. But here are a few others to give an idea of what is gong down here.
CATAMARAN, FONTAINE PAJOT, VENIZIA 42 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
43ft Wright/Lavranos design Sailing Catamaran for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
Kelsall Cat COMMERCAIL BOAT BRAND NEW 10m 2006 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
Roger Hill 12.55m Sailing Catamaran for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
A good price, but.........
Catamaran - Sailing for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
11.4 RON GIVEN CATAMARAN for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Old 26-05-2008, 02:16   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just in case someone in the US is interested, I stumbled across this in my quest to hunt down the Catalac in NZ. At the price they are asking, either this is a real dog or a real steal.
1986 10.4 Meter CATALAC CATAMARAN for sale in Panama City, FL - PC Yacht Sales, Inc.

Old 26-05-2008, 03:11   #27

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hey Sean,
Chill matey. I did not read Gords response as being anything but supportive.
Enjoy the new boat and keep us posted on the exploits.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 26-05-2008, 03:17   #28

To see some of the cat happenings here some might also be interested in this aluminium cat that has been built just a little ways north of me here -

Q-West - 19metre sailing cat detail sheet

There is also a photo of it in build on the "New Builds" page on the same site. Is good to see the yard well under way again as they had a severe fire there a few years back - one of their mainstays is building power cats in aluminium.

The 43 foot Wright/Lavranos cat that Alan linked to we see quite a lot around Queen Charlotte Sound as it is part of the charter fleet. Actually took a photo of it in Ship Cove last February as I noticed the "For Sale" sign on it (No, not thinking of buying it, am happy with what I have ).
Old 26-05-2008, 03:41   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: R930
That's a mate of mines new Q-West cat. He's tricking it right out as well I hear, a bit of a no-holes-bared build.

FYI, Q-West have 3 multis and a mono on the go at the moment. As ML1 said good to see them come back from the big fire. The fire which completely toasted a new boat 5 days before it was supposed to be launched... ouch.

Last year they launched Auckland new Police boat as well. Sitting in a bay when that comes around the corner gives you a tiny splash of the willies, it looks like a gunboat on a mission. On the sea trials it cruised very very comfortably in 2 metre plus seas at 27 knots, nice going.

Sean and Rick will be very pleased to hear that the Police boat is also a Cat and it gets better for them, it replaced a mono Am I allowed to say that out loud?

Lots of people with new boats, I'm jealous. Happy and safe sailing Sean.

Tags
catalac

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: