Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-04-2015, 11:11   #31

Boat: TBD
Re: Gunboats Full Foiling G4 Cruiser/Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbudd View Post
I read somewhere around $700K
I sent an email to them when they first announced it, and that is probably correct, although fitted for comfortable coastal cruising, expect it to be more in the $850K range.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:35   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekatlrg View Post
*sigh*

I understand you feel the need to bash gunboat any chance you get you have made that obvious.
You really do not get it, I am not bashing Gunboat, I think the boats cool, I'd love to see one.
Just I think it's beyond the average sailors capability to handle, and therefore they need to Vet possible purchasers to ensure they can handle this kind of performance, or possibly they could get a bad rep, not because of the boat, because of incompetent owners.
There is all kinds of precedence. Piper went out of Business years ago or almost did after several crashes of their latest greatest airplane was released, after they went under finally it came out that there was nothing wrong with the airplane after all, what came out was that just because you could afford a high performance turbine aircraft, doesn't mean your competent to fly one.
The Lagoon comment was to explain that there is for some reason at least some negative feelings towards Cats, nothing else.
I've never said anything about the government restricting it's sale or anything remotely like that, you did.

But yes, I believe if you get a few rich playboys out there that do have accidents in these things, based solely on their incompetence to handle it, it will hurt future sales

Old 09-04-2015, 11:36   #33

I'd get a quote from your friendly insurance broker before finalizing a business plan for a G4

Or you could find out which company insured Rain Maker
Old 09-04-2015, 12:10   #34

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think they are going to have to be real careful about who they sell this boat to, all it would take is a couple of people that shouldn't be in one, to ruin the reputation.
Sorta like giving a handgun to a Baby, you know?
Yes. It should at least be as hard as buying a gun.
Old 09-04-2015, 13:06   #35

Boat: TBD

I figured I'd cut through some of the crap, and just call them and ask some of these questions. (I know, shocking, when I have all the experts here to weigh in ). It was quite interesting. Still, I want to represent the below not as their official position, but as my interpretation of the answers they gave me.

Prices have gone up a tad since it was first announced, the base model in now in the $730K range.

They involve the buyer in every stage of the discussion all the way through sea trials, and they are not just going to throw an inexperienced person into a hyper-fast boat with a wave and a 'good luck'. They have an amazing reputation for safety and intend to keep it.

The pictures you are seeing are from sea trials are on their highest performance package, and they have many of the top names in sailing there. I'm sure it was empty of excess weight and not an ideal setup for cruising (not what they said, but it's the impression I got).

They offer many options, including options more suitable to cruising, including cruising daggerboards so that it won't foil out of the water. Even the current foil daggerboards are adjustable, so you can choose the amount you are likely to foil, from none to a lot.

If you get the cruising options and cruising daggerboards, and load it down with personal belongings, I expect you will get something somewhere between a Lagoon and the one in pictures. (Again, that's my guess based on impressions from my chat, not a claim they made specifically -- I don't want to misrepresent anything they said). As with everything in sailing, you have to set your priorities and choose what's important to you: speed, $$, comfort, durability, safety, quality, other? Few can afford all of them, which is most important to you? This boat looks like, from my never-been-on-it point of view, one that lets you rank speed more highly than a typical cruising catamaran, including (but not limited to) the point where it would hard to consider it a cruising catamaran.

As for safety, the sales person's comment was that the designer is quite leery of crutches that make people more confident than they deserve to be. That statement alone is sure to be quite controversial. Their opinion seemed to be that it's better to be a good sailor than to have a false sense of safety that leads you into trouble. (See risk compensation and the Peltzman effect)

So yeah, if you get it with all the highest performance features and take it out into a hurricane and try to set a new speed record, you'll probably get hurt or dead. If you are a good sailor and equip it properly for your expected usage and your knowledge level and your use it responsibly, it will be perfectly fine for many uses, including cruising.
Old 09-04-2015, 13:30   #36

I don’t think it has anything to do with the Kool Aid I prefer lemonade it sure is refreshing.

Hobe Cats are a blast one summer on a lake with one and I was hooked on sailing for life. I would love to fly a moth actually on my bucket list. A great goal for me to get in better condition and it looks like great way to stay in shape one heck of a work out.

I don’t own a gunboat and probably never will... My next boat will more than likely be a run of the mill production catamaran. (budget constraint and I like my ice)

Gunboat is responsible for 3 of my top 3 favorite boats sadly I cannot afford one but that’s no reason for me not to respect what they have accomplished.

I have no problem what so ever with the “conspicuous consumption” I encourage people with the means to keep spending copious amounts of money on the research and development of a hobby I enjoy! The Jobs in the industry it creates not to mention the advancements we have made in sailing due to large part to these “millionaires toys“
Old 12-04-2015, 03:56   #37

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Video of the G4 sailing

https://vimeo.com/124676763
Old 12-04-2015, 04:52   #38
pbr

The concept has been attempted before in the industry and has not faired well. The old saying " You don't want to be in a position where the ones that want it can't afford it, and the ones that can afford it don't want it"

This is not a cruising catamaran. It would make a fun day sailor or weekender but that is it. No protection from the elements, very limited accommodations below, limited range under power. Based on what I see the design and execution is superb. I think it is a great promotional and marketing tool for Gunboat.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:21   #39

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

WoW Lol, impressive, is a rocket!!! well done , bravo for GB!!! i guess they are thinking in a short future to make a real big multi on foils...can you imagine?? this is just a big and new step maybe in new cruising multis in the future, for sure this litle beast is not cruising oriented but what a hell of fun in sheltered waters.... love it!!!
Old 12-04-2015, 20:16   #40

Boat: Wanted: Schionning Arrow 1360'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yeah, but who would take it! ;-) Lets see...G4 or a used left nut...hmmm?

I see your point
Old 18-04-2015, 08:58   #41

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I was at St. Barths this week and saw the big fast boys sail, including Phaedo 3 and several Gunboats including the G4. These guys were going fast in 15+ knots of wind and irregular Atlantic swells of 4-7 feet and the G4 had no trouble with those conditions.

Some more pictures of other racers are at https://www.sv-zanshin.com/blogpages...2015-04-14.php and on the following day at https://www.sv-zanshin.com/blogpages...2015-04-15.php
Old 18-04-2015, 14:06   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The gunboat capsized an hour or so ago, It's back upright with the stick still up. Impressive that it did not trash the rigging. Less impressive that it flipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gunboat1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	100634  
Old 18-04-2015, 14:28   #43

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You really do not get it, I am not bashing Gunboat, I think the boats cool, I'd love to see one.
Just I think it's beyond the average sailors capability to handle, and therefore they need to Vet possible purchasers to ensure they can handle this kind of performance, or possibly they could get a bad rep, not because of the boat, because of incompetent owners.
I think you are completely right. The vetting will be quite challenging. The fact that the new GB capsized today with a pro crew means even the pros have difficulty handling that beast. Amazing the mast looks still intact.

https://www.facebook.com/UltimateSai...type=1&theater
Old 18-04-2015, 15:33   #44

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

So now we can settle the cruising discussion, is not designed for cruising....is not even a cruiser racer in my mind, is a wonderfull toy for inshore sailing....
Old 18-04-2015, 15:37   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
Amazing the mast looks still intact.

[l]
More importantly, was the chardonnay intact.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, oil, race, racer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: