Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 18:42   #376

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Re: GUNBOAT Dismasting

Just looking at that stern view again, im not seeing anything like the claimed 33" of bridgedeck clearance, on the low side it looks like not much more than one stair riser and at least one, maybe more, of the stairs are awash.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 18:50   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

No, not necessarily, but if the veil of silence continues, regrettably, then, yes. They need to figure out what went wrong and fix it, demonstrate their accountability, and if GB don't, even though the concept may seem wonderful, the wealthy potential buyers will go elsewhere for their toys.

Ann
Well said Ann. Women have so much common sense.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 19:33   #378

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I understand this fully, but again, I don't think you do. Have you ever compared multi rigging to mono rigging? Everything about it is designed to handle these loads, as well as having a large safety margin. Keep in mind that this boat's rigging was synthetic.

Yes, at some point the strength of the rig may be overcome and failure occur.

This happens with all boats - mono or multi. I will bet you a dollar that overall there is no appreciably greater margin of protection afforded from a similar sized mono heeling. The difference is in the rigging specs for each - each will take about similar loads before failing at similar times.

You have no information on the failure mode in this case, yet you are damning the type of boat for causing it.

Again, a tremendous number of monos have dismasted. How do you explain that using your reasoning?

Mark
Wow take it easy. Are we reading the same post. He isn't damning any design. I won't speak for him, but I think all he's trying to say is that fact a mono will heel over and dump air out of the sail at some point where as the cat having two hulls prevents that until one hull is out of the water and then you could be in the danger zone. People get so defensive on here about what type of boat they own. Christ I'm only on page 2 and it's getting nasty. lol ooofa
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 20:25   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

No, not necessarily, but if the veil of silence continues, regrettably, then, yes. They need to figure out what went wrong and fix it, demonstrate their accountability, and if GB don't, even though the concept may seem wonderful, the wealthy potential buyers will go elsewhere for their toys.

Ann
It wasn't the maiden voyage of the type. Just this particular boat. Anyway, whatever. I'm sure all the wealthy buyers worldwide will be looking to you for guidance.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 21:08   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
It wasn't the maiden voyage of the type. Just this particular boat. Anyway, whatever. I'm sure all the wealthy buyers worldwide will be looking to you for guidance.
No the Smart ones with abundance of common sense like Ann will stear well clear of any failed boat with a cloud over it. They won't need to ask Ann for her opinion.
Old 12-02-2015, 21:37   #381

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I guess, I am just old fashioned or whatever, but the sight of these wide open transoms give me the heeby jeebies. All I can visualize is a wave crashing into them and flooding the vessel.
Yes, but just think...... No scuppers to get plugged.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-02-2015, 23:30   #382

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
No the Smart ones with abundance of common sense like Ann will stear well clear of any failed boat with a cloud over it. They won't need to ask Ann for her opinion.
CC44, of course, you're right, they definitely won't be coming to me.!

Cheers, mate.

A.
Old 13-02-2015, 05:30   #383

Boat: a sailing boat

Any news from GB on what actually broke?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 06:10   #384
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Any news from GB on what actually broke?

b.
Well, with both the rig and boat gone, good chance we'll never know, for sure... Although my hunch would be the blame being ultimately placed upon the failure of some component with a Hall Spars sticker on it, as opposed to one crafted by the folks in Wanchese...

Just a WAG, of course... ;-)

Mr. Clean over on SA is promising a report "soon", based on his interview with skipper Chris Bailet. It's apparently in the process of being "edited", as we speak...

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 10:12   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Well, with both the rig and boat gone, good chance we'll never know, for sure... Although my hunch would be the blame being ultimately placed upon the failure of some component with a Hall Spars sticker on it, as opposed to one crafted by the folks in Wanchese...

Just a WAG, of course... ;-)

Mr. Clean over on SA is promising a report "soon", based on his interview with skipper Chris Bailet. It's apparently in the process of being "edited", as we speak...

;-)
Thanks for the update. Do you think part of the Skippers report being edited means also being reviewed by the company lawyers? Where are the industry investigative journalists working for the sailing magazines when you need them. Where are the interviews of the eyewitness crew and passengers? How silly of me to expect that from glossy rags who's pages are bought and paid for by boat builders and their suppliers. Call me a cynic but I think given the now extended silence of owner and passengers we will never get to know the full story. And that is such a big shame. Of course I could be being over cynical but than again not.
Old 13-02-2015, 11:05   #386

Boat: S2 11.0C

Last I heard. Manf. Gunboat is going to get that cat and fix her. No cost to the owner.
Old 13-02-2015, 11:48   #387
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

That boat killed itself in horror upon seeing 70 knot winds. Like if it was a tinny W32 or something. These multihulls, they rip themselves apart If it isn't the mast then it'll be chainplates ripping the hulls off etc. There's a reason the Hawaiians used Bamboo and Paddles
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 12:17   #388

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

There might be some kind of confidentiality agreement in place. Wealthy people use them with staff and assistants so why not captains and crew? If I was worth a zillion bucks I would.
Old 13-02-2015, 12:37   #389

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

There has been some comments here and over at SA questioning the captains experience and abilities. On the SA thread there are actually 2 guys that have captained Gunboats. They say Rainmakers's captain is pro. So could we just wait on judgments until there is more info.?
Old 13-02-2015, 14:19   #390
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
That boat killed itself in horror upon seeing 70 knot winds. Like if it was a tinny W32 or something. These multihulls, they rip themselves apart If it isn't the mast then it'll be chainplates ripping the hulls off etc. There's a reason the Hawaiians used Bamboo and Paddles
I feel a great disturbance in the force Master, prepare to be attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
There has been some comments here and over at SA questioning the captains experience and abilities. On the SA thread there are actually 2 guys that have captained Gunboats. They say Rainmakers's captain is pro. So could we just wait on judgments until there is more info.?
Why? It's never stopped us before. No doubt the captain was a pro but that doesn't mean he didn't make a mistake. 14 days of silence tells a huge tale here. Miami boat show has started and still no word?

Also, on the SA thread, were those guys captains or crew of Gunboats? I read it as crew. Not that it matters much but they really put the lid on the "Anarchists" over there. Totally cracked me up.

Tags
crew, dismasting, mast, rescue