Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2015, 06:24   #16
cruiser

Re: "Rain Maker" demasted off NC, crew rescued

With so few facts known I don't mean to make light of the situation, but.... if their mast came down and the crew was able to cut it free, wouldn't the Gunboat 55 then be a.... powercat and retain the same abilities as other powercats?

I've heard no mention of it taking on water, and even if both rudders broke, the thing should still be able to maneuver and make way under power.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 06:27   #17

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: GUNBOAT Dismasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
They've been taken off the boat...

What a beautiful boat! Hope that they can recover it.
It is a beautiful boat, but it's also a weird boat. Pretty much every line and sail control leads to the base of the mast, and there is a relatively small area there in which to work, ahead of the helm. Small enough that two people working it would get chaotic pretty quickly. In addition, I can easily imagine, given how close together all the controls are, that if something broke badly in that area you could very quickly find yourself in a world of sh!t trying to manage the sail plan.

It never occurred to me when I was on the boat, and I thought it was nothing if not innovative at the time. Now it sort of sends a chill up my spine.

Edit: On looking at the video the layout is different than the big gunboat I was on, and seems better in terms of access, but I still don't like all that stuff clustered together like that.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 06:29   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

More info on the boat: Forbes Life
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 06:31   #19
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
Further, how does a modern yacht get dismasted in mere 13 ft seas and 40 mph winds? Those are not even hurricane conditions. I know, I wasn't there but 13 footers are not all that bad, not good, but not horrendous either.
This is how:

Quote:
Posted Today, 08:38 AM
This morning's update: Sustained winds were 30-35 knots. Squalls had been in the 40 knot range for most of the day. A full whiteout squall hit that initially looked no different than the other squalls. Sails were up as there was no indication of squalls with winds above 40 knots. A wall of wind hit at up to 70 knots. There was no opportunity to get the sails down. The mast came down with the wall of wind. Am simply relieved these guys are all safe.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=163512&p=4828448
Yup, sounds like the North Atlantic, 200 miles off Hatteras in late January, alright...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 06:32   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Dupe threads running. See Gunboat lost.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 07:00   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

I see that, don't know how to combine. Mods??
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 07:31   #22

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Well guess there's a million dollar yacht our there if any one wants one. Engines good mast missing...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 07:34   #23

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Well guess there's a million dollar yacht our there if any one wants one. Engines good mast missing...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
More like $2.5mm, although I'm sure a new mast ain't cheap. Probably $250k in the spars, rigging, and sails.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 07:35   #24

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Another unnecessary CG rescue? Unless there were extenuating circumstances yet unkown, I would agree with Kenomac on this one.
Old 31-01-2015, 07:58   #25

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
This is how:

Posted Today, 08:38 AM
This morning's update: Sustained winds were 30-35 knots. Squalls had been in the 40 knot range for most of the day. A full whiteout squall hit that initially looked no different than the other squalls. Sails were up as there was no indication of squalls with winds above 40 knots. A wall of wind hit at up to 70 knots. There was no opportunity to get the sails down. The mast came down with the wall of wind. Am simply relieved these guys are all safe.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=163512&p=4828448

Yup, sounds like the North Atlantic, 200 miles off Hatteras in late January, alright...
And therein lies the weakness of the catamaran. It's inability to heel to the wind and relieve the strain on the rig....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 08:07   #26

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
And therein lies the weakness of the catamaran. It's inability to heel to the wind and relieve the strain on the rig....
Umm, I don't think you understand this well. The rig is supposed to be designed to take normal high sailing forces.

Lots and lots and lots and lots of monos have had rigging failure.

How do you explain that?

Geez, if it had flipped, then you would have been blaming the rig not letting go.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 08:34   #27
Marine Service Provider

In the video posted on the other thread you can see the mast is just forward of the helm and a lot of windows. Assuming 1 or 2 windows were damaged or knocked out by the mast or boom or both, or the cabin top was cracked then water was likely mixing with electronic engine controls. Assuming rigging fouled a prop or rudder and washing machine conditions of the gulf stream battling a north wind swell and maybe no storm anchor aboard or rigged for quick deployment, assuming not everyone aboard was experienced with gulf stream rage on a vessel smaller than a cargo ship then calling for help is the next step.

Assuming a pro weather router told the skipper that there was a window and was wrong then might the insurance company sue the router's insurance?
CptLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 08:44   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptLawrence View Post
Assuming a pro weather router told the skipper that there was a window and was wrong then might the insurance company might sue the router's insurance?
So now everything bad that happens is the weatherman's fault?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 08:45   #29
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptLawrence View Post
In the video posted on the other thread you can see the mast is just forward of the helm and a lot of windows. Assuming 1 or 2 windows were damaged or knocked out by the mast or boom or both, or the cabin top was cracked then water was likely mixing with electronic engine controls. Assuming rigging fouled a prop or rudder and washing machine conditions of the gulf stream battling a north wind swell and maybe no storm anchor aboard or rigged for quick deployment, assuming not everyone aboard was experienced with gulf stream rage on a vessel smaller than a cargo ship then calling for help is the next step.

Assuming a pro weather router told the skipper that there was a window and was wrong then might the insurance company sue the router's insurance?

That is a lot of assumptions!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 08:53   #30
Marine Service Provider

They were sailing in squalls, i prefer to motor in squalls rather than assume they will not worsen. Is it common for boats like that to endure those condition? If not i wonder what the motivation was to push through.
CptLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, dismasting, mast, rescue