Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2007, 14:36   #121
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Get off your high horse – and don’t call us rude:

Mr Joli is having a little cry at the moment about people being nasty to him, as we say in Oz – get over it ya sook. And its not like he didn’t cast the first stone:

JOLIS first post in this thread
………
Quote:
you guy must all drink the same purple coolaid because I had one guy who sailed this very regatta swear up and down he beat all the monos boat for boat even when I showed him the actual finish times. I know you love your boats, we all love our boats, but you should try sailing places other then just that river in Egypt.

That’s insulting

Second post
Quote:
Funny story, one guy I met at the bar after the regatta swore up and down he beat all the monos boat for boat. He is a many time F Boat national champ. I didn't look to see if he was drinking koolaid though.

That’s rude

Of course I upheld the time honoured school yard 6 year old tradition and was rude back – cause – well he started it!!

And he has a history of doing this in a range of threads. I don’t see multihullers over in the mono thread slagging off the people there – we respect their right to their opinion, but Joli wants to come here – insult people and them dream up his own rules about how the debate should go – post race times he says – I did, well I want cruising boat times he says – well the gunboat is a cruiser – well no I want something else he says.

MAAATE, you are welcome here – you are welcome here to debate and challenge things – just don’t be a prat okay. Difference of opinion are fine – stupidity isn’t.

Heres the link to some background on the Brisbane to Gladstone Race
http://www.mycq.org.au/big_multi/BM_BrisToGlad/BG_History.htm
For the record it’s the only race that I know of that near as damn it has the same course on the same conditions. Its actually three mile longer for the multi race as we decided to start it at Manly much closer to the shore than the monos can start at Redcliffe, the increasing keel depths of the mono fleet kept pushing the race start further and further off shore and we felt that it was losing that start spectacle that is important to our sponsors. (I don’t actually remember the last time a mono beat a multi in elapsed time.

Oh and your continued reference to the Caribbean 1500 – perhaps you should note

Quote:
About the Event
Skippers may choose to enter the Cruising Class or the Rally Class. Boats sailing in the Cruising Class do so for the adventure of making a good and safe passage and will not be judged on performance or handicaps. They will not be required to maintain engine use logs. Their safe passage will be recognized in alphabetical order of boats completing the passage. Boats sailing in the Rally Class may choose to sail in our traditional PHRF division where they will be assigned PHRF handicaps and will report engine usage nightly or they may race in our new IRC division for performance oriented boats. Unlike races, the rally permits the use of engines with running time added to the elapsed time as a motoring penalty. The corrected time for each vessel will reflect her time allowance and engine usage. Skippers may at any time elect to change from the Rally Class to the Cruising Class. Stopping in Bermuda or taking on fuel after the start will indicate participation in the Cruising Class

Doesn’t look like a race to me. Looks like a group of people who want to enjoy the safety and camaraderie of travelling together.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 14:50   #122

I would have thought the Americas Cup 1988 would have pretty much settled any discussion regard multihull speed vs monohull speed. Closed course match racing on triangular courses, in reasonably light conditions. The same course in the same conditions for both boats. And a hastily thrown together catamaran of around half it's length absolutely annhialated what was very probably the best match racing monohull on Earth at that time.

No contest.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 15:44   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Get off your high horse – and don’t call us rude:

Mr Joli is having a little cry at the moment about people being nasty to him, as we say in Oz – get over it ya sook. And its not like he didn’t cast the first stone:

JOLIS first post in this thread
………
That’s insulting

Second post

That’s rude

Of course I upheld the time honoured school yard 6 year old tradition and was rude back – cause – well he started it!!

And he has a history of doing this in a range of threads. I don’t see multihullers over in the mono thread slagging off the people there – we respect their right to their opinion, but Joli wants to come here – insult people and them dream up his own rules about how the debate should go – post race times he says – I did, well I want cruising boat times he says – well the gunboat is a cruiser – well no I want something else he says.

MAAATE, you are welcome here – you are welcome here to debate and challenge things – just don’t be a prat okay. Difference of opinion are fine – stupidity isn’t.

Heres the link to some background on the Brisbane to Gladstone Race
http://www.mycq.org.au/big_multi/BM_BrisToGlad/BG_History.htm
For the record it’s the only race that I know of that near as damn it has the same course on the same conditions. Its actually three mile longer for the multi race as we decided to start it at Manly much closer to the shore than the monos can start at Redcliffe, the increasing keel depths of the mono fleet kept pushing the race start further and further off shore and we felt that it was losing that start spectacle that is important to our sponsors. (I don’t actually remember the last time a mono beat a multi in elapsed time.

Oh and your continued reference to the Caribbean 1500 – perhaps you should note

Doesn’t look like a race to me. Looks like a group of people who want to enjoy the safety and camaraderie of travelling together.
So Factor, when you are shown race results where you beaten boat for boat do you deny it or are sipping purple coolaid, are you delusional? If that is that rude or insulting then your skin is rather thin?

Regarding the Carib 1500, that does seem germane since the title of the thread references the big brother. No?

So lets propose a hypothetical race; Toledo to Buffalo 250 miles. TWS 18 knots, TWA 152 Gunboat 48 versus Santa Cruise 52. Who finishes first?
Now Buffalo to Toledo, same boats, TWS 6, TWA 8. Who finishes first?
Are you drinking the coolaid or are you honest?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 17:12   #124

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
You a crazy man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
I believe a cruising mono (Schock 35) will often be quicker then the cruising multi (F31).
You funny!

I believe a 8' optimus will often be faster than a Schock 35. And I see dead people!

Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 19:50   #125

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
This thread is TOO funny now.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:42   #126
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Originally Posted by Joli
I believe a cruising mono (Schock 35) will often be quicker then the cruising multi (F31).

Whereas I believe in the tooth fairy. I also believe that Nasa faked the moon landing and that elvis lives.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:11   #127

Ok, I give. No mono has ever had a quicker elapsed time around a course then any multi at any time.

Hand me the coolaid.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:59   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Ok, I give. No mono has ever had a quicker elapsed time around a course then any multi at any time.

Probably about right.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:36   #129
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
... Whereas I believe in the tooth fairy. I also believe that Nasa faked the moon landing and that elvis lives.
Whereas only the credulous would believe in the tooth Fairy, I do believe in the tooth Mouse; and everyone knows the moon-landings were faked, and Elvis lives:
Proof-Positive:
Education World ® - Books in Education: "Tooth Tales from Around the World"
The Apollo Hoax
Elvis is Alive

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:16   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Are you sure you people are not in my son's 8th grade class? I have no doubt my dad can beat up your dad. :P

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 13:45   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Are you sure you people are not in my son's 8th grade class? I have no doubt my dad can beat up your dad. :P
Yeah, but my Dad's got a bigger car than your Dad
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 14:34   #132

Hey, leave my dad out of this. But he smokes bigger cigars then your dad!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:21   #133

Anyone interested in the Jacques Vabre 2007 Race Official website where ORMA 60 trimarans are beating the IMOCA 60 monohulls and yet the ORMAs (and the Class 50 trimarans) set off 24 hours after the IMOCAs. Scroll down the righthand side of the opening page and click on Charts. There are Class 40 monohulls and, as mentioned, Class 50 trimarans also racing and Crepes Whaou, the leading Class 50 is speeding at 18.8 knots past Safran, the leading IMOCA 60 that is currently at 14.1 knots. All the Class 40s are miles behind

I would love to have a Gunboat 66, when and if the next Jacques Varbre takes place and shadow the leading ORMA, probably Groupama 2, all the way to Bahia, Brazil and about a few miles from the finishing line, let the Gunboat have its head and surge past the trimaran, to take line honours, whilst having a good meal at the table and glugging the Bolly.

It's an eleven day passage, hardly time to get used to being at sea and the vessel would be on autopilot for 90% of the voyage. The helm is a joystick.

Some may argue that the Gunboat 66 will not have the speed, but a heavier Gunboat 62 has exceeded 36 knots. I'd be delighted to give it a go.

Pericles
Pericles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:34   #134
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
We expect that the new FastCat 545 wil exceed 30 knots regularly on flat water with her extreem low weight of less than 8 metric tons ready to sail or 23 squire meter per ton of weight or close to the weight / sail area of the super cats and trimarans , That also means the putting in a reef will start with 23 knots of app. wind.
The FastCat 435 has shown over 26 knots on more than one occasion and the newer models have shed 20 % in weight and take the propulsion system out of the water completely so another 2 knots should be possible.
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:31   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
We expect that the new FastCat 545 wil exceed 30 knots regularly on flat water with her extreem low weight of less than 8 metric tons ready to sail or 23 squire meter per ton of weight or close to the weight / sail area of the super cats and trimarans , That also means the putting in a reef will start with 23 knots of app. wind.
The FastCat 435 has shown over 26 knots on more than one occasion and the newer models have shed 20 % in weight and take the propulsion system out of the water completely so another 2 knots should be possible.
Fastcat, what do you anticipate for speed with 1/2 load and full load when cruising? I would think 9's would be very doable?