Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2007, 04:24   #91
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Yes offcourse The first track there was almost no wind and the last part over force 6 But we took it easy with only 2 sailors on board for what was supposdd to be a 24 hour race
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:43   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
This is what Joli said that made me post the RACE 24 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Well then Dave, it's time to race. Prove what you say and join the PHRF Fleet. Let's see some real life race results. I posted race results here. All you guys do is make qualitative claims about speed.
This was his response to that post

Quote:
And which one of these boats do you take the family sailing on for the weekend? Which one of these boats do you own and use as a racer cruiser?
I am clearly not terribly gifted, He talked racing so I talked racing - so now he talks family cruising?????

Look guys I am from Australia, I must be missing something in the translation - some of you best help me understand - clearly OHIO type people have a different way of talking/writing.

Or perhaps JOLI is, as we say in my part of the globe,
a sandwich short of a picnic,
a stubby short of a six pack,
not the full quid,
as useful as a hip pocket on a singlet,
a synapse looking for a neuron or two.

PS JOLI - we sail on what I think you might call - the ocean, its a big wobbly blue thing with lots and lots of water and stuff, and real big waves and everything.

What boat do you currently sail and where do you sail it?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:54   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Yes offcourse The first track there was almost no wind and the last part over force 6 But we took it easy with only 2 sailors on board for what was supposdd to be a 24 hour race
Now that is excellent! You are the only one here who has provided quantitative race analysis against monos for a complete race in a boat you sail daily. No one else will do this. When I posted actual race results from events they were dismissed. Why?

Next time I am in Holland I would like to visit and see your boat maybe share a Gulpener or Amstel. No purple koolaid for you.

So, to everyone else. Fastcat has thrown down the gauntlet. Time to man up, go see what your boat does around the course. Upwind, downwind, and reaching in light, medium and heavy winds and seas. Go sail the course and compare elapsed times. Are your brave enough to do this or are you cowards?

Just checked, the Gunboat is still pacing the fleet in the Carib 1500. WS 12-15, broad reach. And yes I would love to cruise for the winter on the Gunboat or the Sundeer 60. Either boat, makes no difference to me.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:56   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
This is what Joli said that made me post the RACE 24 times

This was his response to that post

I am clearly not terribly gifted, He talked racing so I talked racing - so now he talks family cruising?????

Look guys I am from Australia, I must be missing something in the translation - some of you best help me understand - clearly OHIO type people have a different way of talking/writing.

Or perhaps JOLI is, as we say in my part of the globe,
a sandwich short of a picnic,
a stubby short of a six pack,
not the full quid,
as useful as a hip pocket on a singlet,
a synapse looking for a neuron or two.

PS JOLI - we sail on what I think you might call - the ocean, its a big wobbly blue thing with lots and lots of water and stuff, and real big waves and everything.

What boat do you currently sail and where do you sail it?
Therre is a photo of our boat in here somewhere. Look it up.

So, do you race? Or are your balls not big enough to go out onto the race course? Scary...

Report back when you have done a few dozen races or have paced the fleet.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:09   #95
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

here is a picture attached taken by a customer when touching 25 knots speed with 33 knots of wind 100 degrees apparent wiht roostertails 4 ft high . Top speed on a FastCat 435 on flat water so far 26.9 knots and best 24 hours 440 NM !!!
Very tired after these 24 hours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02691 kl.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	2060  
Old 08-11-2007, 05:15   #96

Quote:
here is a picture attached taken by a customer when touching 25 knots speed with 33 knots of wind 100 degrees apparent wiht roostertails 4 ft high . Top speed on a FastCat 435 on flat water so far 26.9 knots and best 24 hours 440 NM !!!
Very tired after these 24 hours
Yes, to average 18 is very hard work, quite stressfull, nothing can be cleated.

This is the point of sail a multi will truly excell. How would your boat do uphill in this condition with and without waves? VMG upwind not BS.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:22   #97
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Therre is a photo of our boat in here somewhere. Look it up..
I did - thats a lovely boat - a bit big for OHIO though

Quote:
So, do you race? Or are your balls not big enough to go out onto the race course? Scary...
Nah - no gonads, I ride a suzuki Bandit 1200 bike, I rally (thats not a popular sort in the USA I know, but if you look up videos on Marcus Gronholm, Sebastian Loeb and like you will get the idea, so no - no balls. (I need the sarcasm emoticon here )

Yes I race - no n o mono under twice my length, and five times my cost and 5 times mt crew has beaten me, but you see you myopic twerp, thats not the point, I dont race to win, I dont race for my ego, I race to improve my skill and enjoy the company of other sailors.

Quote:
Report back when you have done a few dozen races or have paced the fleet
Been there done that - how about you brother, what precisly have you achieved.

I actually do know this is a pointless discussion - clearly you are the type of person that only feels better about themesleves by trying to bring other people down. The trouble with arguing with idiots like you is that they will always drag you down to their levela nd beat you up with expereince. I have said this before to you and I will say it again, why do you feel you need to come an pick fights, Do you have a tiny Penis? Has your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend (no insult intended here at all - everyones choice of life partner is their own business,) given you the flick?

Dont want to insult all OHIANS (is that the correct term?) but I notice from watching some crap american TV that even the rest of USA thinks ONIO people arent real bright, as we say here - not the sharpest tools in the shed, not the brightest light in the street,
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:25   #98
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have attached some polar made by the U iversity of Southampton and these are verified in actual sailing tests
In 20 knots app.40 degrees angle we do better than 13 knots in flat water and depending on the wave situation between 10 and 13 knots
In a lightly loaded FastCat 435 I have seen 14.5 at 40 degrees app or 70 % of windspeed and we are still improving the resistance in the water with newer cats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	435 VPP 6500 kg light shipkopie.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	2061  
Old 08-11-2007, 05:58   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I did - thats a lovely boat - a bit big for OHIO though

Nah - no gonads, I ride a suzuki Bandit 1200 bike, I rally (thats not a popular sort in the USA I know, but if you look up videos on Marcus Gronholm, Sebastian Loeb and like you will get the idea, so no - no balls. (I need the sarcasm emoticon here )

Yes I race - no n o mono under twice my length, and five times my cost and 5 times mt crew has beaten me, but you see you myopic twerp, thats not the point, I dont race to win, I dont race for my ego, I race to improve my skill and enjoy the company of other sailors.

Been there done that - how about you brother, what precisly have you achieved.

I actually do know this is a pointless discussion - clearly you are the type of person that only feels better about themesleves by trying to bring other people down. The trouble with arguing with idiots like you is that they will always drag you down to their levela nd beat you up with expereince. I have said this before to you and I will say it again, why do you feel you need to come an pick fights, Do you have a tiny Penis? Has your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend (no insult intended here at all - everyones choice of life partner is their own business,) given you the flick?

Dont want to insult all OHIANS (is that the correct term?) but I notice from watching some crap american TV that even the rest of USA thinks ONIO people arent real bright, as we say here - not the sharpest tools in the shed, not the brightest light in the street,

Me, no I raced lots but very little now.

So, you only race to improve your skills but will not post results? Very admirable but you must not be competitive? Or maybe something else?

The only one who has posted quantitative results has been Fastcat and myself. Perricles posted comment about the utter speed of a multis uphill but when I posted race results disproving this the assults began.

You refuse to post results and can only resort to name calling and insulting where I sail. So, I say you have no balls, you have no credibility, you cannot prove your statements, you are like most other multi hull sailors and you must resort to hurling insults. Be carefiull riding the motorbike while sipping the purple coolaid.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:01   #100

Quote:
I have attached some polar made by the U iversity of Southampton and these are verified in actual sailing tests
In 20 knots app.40 degrees angle we do better than 13 knots in flat water and depending on the wave situation between 10 and 13 knots
In a lightly loaded FastCat 435 I have seen 14.5 at 40 degrees app or 70 % of windspeed and we are still improving the resistance in the water with newer cats.
Thanks Fastcat, I was going to ask about polars. Is there a transition point uphill at 20 knots? The number look like a standard VMG until the 20 knot mark and then point and speed climb dramatically. Does it plane at that point?
Old 08-11-2007, 06:18   #101
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It is my feeling and I am sure that most of all of you will agree with me that name calling or putting others or other types of Monohull, Catamarans or Trimarans down has no use and is not in anybody,s interest . Every Yacht is a compromise as are most things in life. lets all respect each other in the way we live , work sail and write on this good forum. The idea to have a forum is to exchange experiences and learn from each other lets only do that and nothing else .
Gideon Goudsmit Owner of Africa Cats
Old 08-11-2007, 06:27   #102
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Because the Fastcat 435 is a very light cat we start reefing at 23 knots app and therefore you see that transition point both with the gennaker in wind angles between 90 and 180 and with the jib on the top of the polar with angles in between 35 and 90 degrees. 22 knots of app wind speed is ideal for this cat and we are able to reach speeds better than wind speed

greetings
Old 08-11-2007, 07:00   #103

Quote:
It is my feeling and I am sure that most of all of you will agree with me that name calling or putting others or other types of Monohull, Catamarans or Trimarans down has no use and is not in anybody,s interest . Every Yacht is a compromise as are most things in life. lets all respect each other in the way we live , work sail and write on this good forum. The idea to have a forum is to exchange experiences and learn from each other lets only do that and nothing else .
Gideon Goudsmit Owner of Africa Cats
I agree, lets discuss actual sailing characteristics.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:06   #104

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Time to man up, go see what your boat does around the course. Upwind, downwind, and reaching in light, medium and heavy winds and seas. Go sail the course and compare elapsed times. Are your brave enough to do this or are you cowards?
Sheese, joli. You wanna race me? Come on.

Here's the course: circumnavigation of the Delmarva Pennisula - non stop clockwise. It's a closed course. We can motor thru the Ches-Del canal. Start and finish line is the south tunnel of the Ches Bay Bridge Tunnel.

When can you get here?

I was being neighborly by offering you a beer and a chance to relax and tell racing stories and you become an jackass.

Sheese. An empty wagon makes the most noise.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:08   #105

Quote:
Because the Fastcat 435 is a very light cat we start reefing at 23 knots app and therefore you see that transition point both with the gennaker in wind angles between 90 and 180 and with the jib on the top of the polar with angles in between 35 and 90 degrees. 22 knots of app wind speed is ideal for this cat and we are able to reach speeds better than wind speed

greetings
Hmm, It looked like there was a tansistion of some sort in between 20 and 25. So this polar is AWS and AWA? Do you also have TWS and TWA?