Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-11-2007, 11:10   #46

Boat: PDQ32 & FP Helia 44 on order
speed vs length

"Look, for the most part the speed of a sail boat is dictated by the waterline length. It really doesn't matter the number of hulls. "
----------------------------------------------------------------

My experience does not bear this out - my former boat a Beneteau 331 would max out at 7.4 knots unless surfing - my current boat a PDQ32 cat has the same waterline length but sails in the double digits regularily. I consider boat boats to be cruisers and appropriate for comparison.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:30   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryv View Post
"Look, for the most part the speed of a sail boat is dictated by the waterline length. It really doesn't matter the number of hulls. "
----------------------------------------------------------------

My experience does not bear this out - my former boat a Beneteau 331 would max out at 7.4 knots unless surfing - my current boat a PDQ32 cat has the same waterline length but sails in the double digits regularily. I consider boat boats to be cruisers and appropriate for comparison.
I have no doubt your PDQ is faster then the Bene 331 on a reach with a breeze but around the course or with variable sailing conditions that won't be the case. Race results prove this to be true over and over again.

And if you have my luck, the wind always seems to be on the beener. Where are we going today? Upwind of course.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:33   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
.........and everybody has been motoring because the winds have been so light.
They had about 36 hours of good breeze but the second half looks light for sure.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:42   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
I have no doubt your PDQ is faster then the Bene 331 on a reach with a breeze but around the course or with variable sailing conditions that won't be the case. Race results prove this to be true over and over again.

And if you have my luck, the wind always seems to be on the beener. Where are we going today? Upwind of course.
What you say would only be true in under 8 knots of wind - over 8 knots the cat is faster on all points of sail ( the B331 had a shoal keel and was a modest upwind performer).
Old 07-11-2007, 11:52   #50

Quote:
What you say would only be true in under 8 knots of wind - over 8 knots the cat is faster on all points of sail ( the B331 had a shoal keel and was a modest upwind performer).
So Henry, you've taken the PDQ out to the race course and and have race results you'll share with us? You've raced against similar size monos? What is your favorite course: maybe a gold cup, some W/L's, a couple point to point races? Cool, can't wait to see the results.

By the way, whats the rating of a PDQ 32?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:01   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
So Henry, you've taken the PDQ out to the race course and and have race results you'll share with us? You've raced against similar size monos? What is your favorite course: maybe a gold cup, some W/L's, a couple point to point races? Cool, can't wait to see the results.

By the way, whats the rating of a PDQ 32?
I am not a racer and have no idea what the rating would be however I do know as a cruiser I now get to my destination faster than I did before. I also know that I regularily pass similar sized monos but I don't recall the inverse happening.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:36   #52

Joli,
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "---but you should try sailing places other then just that river in Egypt." If laziness of pronunciation and / or dyslexia causes you to to spell as you speak, it is important you should learn that "then" is both spelled and pronounced "than" in English. Your "then" renders the sentence meaningless.

2Hulls understood that I am not the author of the FAQs, I merely posted them to preempt further negative posts and return to the gist of the thread; that a cruising catamaran has the speed to embarrass a racing keelboat. Thus, I return to the phrase in my previous post:

"Far too many people who badmouth multihulls, do so because they are rumour mongers who delight in being the bearers of bad karma."

Perhaps I should add that the Jacques Vabre 2007 Race Official website shows that the ORMAs that left Le Harvre 24 hours after the IMOCAs have already passed them and Groupama 2 is passing Madeira! If speed is the object, catamaran or trimarans are the weapons of choice. The leading IMOCA is at 10.5 knots, Groupama 2 is sailing at 21.8 knots.

Pericles
Old 07-11-2007, 12:37   #53

Sounds to me that Joli is the owner of a monohull and is fed up of being beaten by multihulls in races
Old 07-11-2007, 12:58   #54

Boat: Catana 471
Can somebody tell me what my rating is on my Catana 471? I honestly don't know.

What I do know is that I'm not welcome in the local races. If I can assemble a few more cats they'd give us a separate start BEFORE everybody else so we stay outta the way. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Here, I'm talking about cruising boats, NOT mono racers. If I wanted to beat them I'd get on a beach cat. My boat won't turn too sharp.

Dave
Old 07-11-2007, 12:58   #55

Pericles, still drinking the purple coolaid? Are you in denial (as in the river in Egypt)?
I posted race results that are fairly typical, comparing multis that the average guy owns versus monos the average guy owns.

Post race results from races sailed on boats we all own.
Maybe a Lagoon versus Tartan?
Maybe FP versus a C&C?

Figures don't lie but ...
Old 07-11-2007, 13:00   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
Sounds to me that Joli is the owner of a monohull and is fed up of being beaten by multihulls in races
Ditto

Post race results from races sailed on boats we all own.
Maybe a Lagoon versus Tartan?
Maybe FP versus a C&C?

Figures don't lie but ...
Old 07-11-2007, 13:01   #57

Quote:
I am not a racer and have no idea what the rating would be however I do know as a cruiser I now get to my destination faster than I did before. I also know that I regularily pass similar sized monos but I don't recall the inverse happening.
The Bene 331 rates about 180

The PDQ 32 rates about 195

You should see similar sailing speeds around the course.
Old 07-11-2007, 13:05   #58

Boat: Catana 471
OK joli - I'll play. I'm drinking the purple coolaid.

Which cruising mono "that we all own" would you like to race me in? It can be a closed course, but has to be off shore with each leg at least 10 nm to make it a real boat speed test.

Dave
Old 07-11-2007, 13:13   #59

Quote:
Can somebody tell me what my rating is on my Catana 471? I honestly don't know.

What I do know is that I'm not welcome in the local races. If I can assemble a few more cats they'd give us a separate start BEFORE everybody else so we stay outta the way. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Here, I'm talking about cruising boats, NOT mono racers. If I wanted to beat them I'd get on a beach cat. My boat won't turn too sharp.

Dave
Dave, the 431 is 96 on the west coast. I have never seen the rating for a 471 but would guess 40-60?

We do welcome multis in PHRF around here, they have there own fleet and start but race with the monos on the same course. Racing a boat provides an quantitative measure versus a qualitative assessment.
Old 07-11-2007, 13:14   #60

Quote:
OK joli - I'll play. I'm drinking the purple coolaid.

Which cruising mono "that we all own" would you like to race me in? It can be a closed course, but has to be off shore with each leg at least 10 nm to make it a real boat speed test.

Dave
How about a J46?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: