Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2015, 03:13   #1
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,132
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Gunboat 55 Video

__________________

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 03:50   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 206
Re: Gunboat 55 Video

Sweet ride...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 05:53   #3
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Gunboat 55 Video

Very nice, but concerned , still using a single set of caps shrouds, no checks or lowers... they must have a good reason....
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 07:28   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Winters cruising; summers Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Catana 471
Posts: 1,239
Re: Gunboat 55 Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Very nice, but concerned , still using a single set of caps shrouds, no checks or lowers... they must have a good reason....
Same as on my boat. The good reason is that anything else (in addition to the single spreaders) is not needed on a carbon stick and just complicates the rig. The only thing to tune is the tension.

Dave
__________________
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 11:36   #5
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Gunboat 55 Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Same as on my boat. The good reason is that anything else (in addition to the single spreaders) is not needed on a carbon stick and just complicates the rig. The only thing to tune is the tension.

Dave
Well, i disagree, could be the reason why Rainmaker loose the stick, buckling could be a factor with those CF masts without support in the lower part of the mast,,,
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 15:05   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Winters cruising; summers Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Catana 471
Posts: 1,239
Re: Gunboat 55 Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Well, i disagree, could be the reason why Rainmaker loose the stick, buckling could be a factor with those CF masts without support in the lower part of the mast,,,
Then I strongly recommend you not get one.

My 14 yo mast has been around the Horn the wrong way and has 10s of thousands of additional blue water miles on it w/o failure - not to mention many, many, many identical rigs - although I've replaced the "insufficient" standing rigging with the same config. I expect and accept the diamonds provide all that's needed to address buckling in the minor axis.

BTW, I may have chartered your boat back in the early '80s.

Dave
__________________
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 15:42   #7
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Gunboat 55 Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Then I strongly recommend you not get one.

My 14 yo mast has been around the Horn the wrong way and has 10s of thousands of additional blue water miles on it w/o failure - not to mention many, many, many identical rigs - although I've replaced the "insufficient" standing rigging with the same config. I expect and accept the diamonds provide all that's needed to address buckling in the minor axis.

BTW, I may have chartered your boat back in the early '80s.

Dave

Dave, im a rigger by trade, i replace a bunch of mast for Catana, i guess yours have jumper struts in the diamond? then the mast pumping is almost eliminated , if not and yours sport a set of sweep back spreaders and no lowers , then mast pumping could be a isue, ....Cheers...
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 16:07   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Winters cruising; summers Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Catana 471
Posts: 1,239
Re: Gunboat 55 Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Dave, im a rigger by trade, i replace a bunch of mast for Catana, i guess yours have jumper struts in the diamond? then the mast pumping is almost eliminated , if not and yours sport a set of sweep back spreaders and no lowers , then mast pumping could be a isue, ....Cheers...
Thanks for the advice. But no, no jumper struts and yes, swept back spreaders on a mast that can be reconfigured to be a rotater, and no pumping that I've ever noticed. Alucarbon, not Espace.

Dave
__________________

__________________
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Atlantic 57 vs Gunboat 48 BigRed Multihull Sailboats 42 22-04-2013 10:52
Gunboat 66 Test Video Keegan Multihull Sailboats 4 19-08-2011 16:32
Gunboat 62 Blows Doors Off Reichel-Pugh 80 David M Multihull Sailboats 150 16-05-2009 13:38
33 foot lil' Gunboat? beaucoupbateau Multihull Sailboats 22 04-03-2009 12:07
Gunboat CNN video Tnflakbait Multihull Sailboats 77 06-04-2008 08:55



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.