Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2016, 04:15   #31
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,761
Re: Gunboat 55 for sale so quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
You shouldn't need a crew to sail a 55 foot cat, and I doubt that one is needed to sail the GB 55.


To RACE it, is a different story. But to simply cruise, a couple should be easily able to manage that size boat.
We are not talking about all cats but about a specific one. Like monohulls they are very different in what regards easiness regarding to be solo or duo sailed, even if with the same size.

Estarzinger that seems to know the sailors in question stated that they were god sailors but wrongly induced to think that the Gunboat 55 is a boat that could be sailed comfortably by two, only to discover that was not true and he is not talking about racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
They are buying one of the Dashew power boats. They were sailors (good ones) but were "sold" that the gunboat was a great 2 handed cruising boat . . . And they discovered that it is not. It is too much work and too sensitive to sail/wind conditions and needs a pro captain and crew.

And if you have been following the gunboat experience . . . There are some unanswered engineering questions about the 55 model, which made them uncomfortable about it as a real ocean crosser.
__________________

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 13:44   #32
Registered User
 
frozenhawaiian's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Portland, Maine
Boat: 1970 hinckley 38
Posts: 150
Re: Gunboat 55 for sale so quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
They are buying one of the Dashew power boats. They were sailors (good ones) but were "sold" that the gunboat was a great 2 handed cruising boat . . . And they discovered that it is not. It is too much work and too sensitive to sail/wind conditions and needs a pro captain and crew.

And if you have been following the gunboat experience . . . There are some unanswered engineering questions about the 55 model, which made them uncomfortable about it as a real ocean crosser.
I suspect the abandonment of the gunboat 55 RAINMAKER didn't do much to boost their confidence. it's true though about gunboats, they're very sensitive think of them as racing cats with an interior.
__________________

__________________
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 21:11   #33
Registered User
 
Clamdigger's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 160
Re: Gunboat 55 for sale so quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Even on the bigger ones I had always see them sailed by a crew but that was not the idea that lead to built them:

On the words of the creator Peter Johnstone : I wanted to sail level without putting everything away everytime we went sailing. I wanted large enough spaces for true privacy and relaxation. I wanted to be able to walk around without bumping into everyone and everything. ...

Don't seem to me that one can get true privacy while needing a crew and probably the bigger boats need even more a crew than the smaller ones and the 55 is the smallest of them.
Interesting that....."After a lifetime of monohulls, and running businesses making and selling small
monohulls, I feel like my life has just begun. I've sold those businesses,
sold off all my own monohulls, and having a ball learning, learning, learning."

Peter Johnstone, F-31R, Portsmouth Rhode Island, USA.

from the Farrier website no less!
__________________
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 00:01   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,877
Re: Gunboat 55 for sale so quickly?

To the original question: I see this all the time with big ticket toys. Always seems crazy to me.

Also, when you talk about a multimillion dollar boat, to hire a navel architect to go down to the factory a couple times a week for $50k is a drop in the bucket.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:58   #35
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,761
Re: Gunboat 55 for sale so quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Interesting that....."After a lifetime of monohulls, and running businesses making and selling small
monohulls, I feel like my life has just begun. I've sold those businesses,
sold off all my own monohulls, and having a ball learning, learning, learning."

Peter Johnstone, F-31R, Portsmouth Rhode Island, USA.

from the Farrier website no less!
No doubt he liked multihulls. I was just commenting on the reasons the owners of this one felt the need to sell. They said that they needed a crew to sail the boat, even if estarzinger knows them and says they are experience sailors.

That contradicts this part "“I wanted to sail level without putting everything away everytime we went sailing. I wanted large enough spaces for true privacy and relaxation. I wanted to be able to walk around without bumping into everyone and everything. ...” not for all the sailors since Jonhnstone seems not to have that problem.

You have to remember that who buys those boats and most expensive cruisers, monohull or multihull and have time to sail them, are mostly older couples that had retired and not young athletic men. For an older couple it seems the Gunboat 55 is just a too demanding boat to be sailed without a crew or at least it was in this particular case
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:20   #36
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,761
Re: Gunboat 55 for sale so quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
To the original question: I see this all the time with big ticket toys. Always seems crazy to me.
...
Regarding the original question:"why would someone wait two years to get their dream cruising yacht then sell almost immediately? is there something wrong with these yachts?"

It seems clear to me that the yacht did not respond to their expectations probably for the reasons given by
estarzinger that knows them. Probably they had the money to hire a crew but that was not their idea of cruising.

The fact they went cruising on another type of cruising boat says that they did not change on their decision to go cruising, just that they were mistaken about the Gunboat 55 as the ideal, or even acceptable, boat to do that on this phase of their lives.

The fact that they have changed for another new boat, instead of cruising unhappily on a boat that did not fit their needs, only tells you that they had the means to do it, otherwise they would have to sell that one and go for an used boat that would probably not be as good or adapted to their needs as the new one they bought.

You see rich guys changing of cruising boats more often or when they mistaken the boat choice (and only later they found out it was not the right one) only happens more because they have the money to immediately correct a mistaken decision, a thing less rich guys cannot do at least with the same ease.

Regarding toys, we all have toys (except the ones that use the boat for making a profit), being them more costly only tells you that they are richer or less stingy. In this case we were talking about cruisers that wanted to cruise extensively, as many on this forum.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:37   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,877
Re: Gunboat 55 for sale so quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Regarding the original question:"why would someone wait two years to get their dream cruising yacht then sell almost immediately? is there something wrong with these yachts?"

It seems clear to me that the yacht did not respond to their expectations probably for the reasons given by estarzinger that knows them. Probably they had the money to hire a crew but that was not their idea of cruising.

The fact they went cruising on another type of cruising boat says that they did not change on their decision to go cruising, just that they were mistaken about the Gunboat 55 as the ideal, or even acceptable, boat to do that on this phase of their lives.

The fact that they have changed for another new boat, instead of cruising unhappily on a boat that did not fit their needs, only tells you that they had the means to do it, otherwise they would have to sell that one and go for an used boat that would probably not be as good or adapted to their needs as the new one they bought.

You see rich guys changing of cruising boats more often or when they mistaken the boat choice (and only later they found out it was not the right one) only happens more because they have the money to immediately correct a mistaken decision, a thing less rich guys cannot do at least with the same ease.

Regarding toys, we all have toys (except the ones that use the boat for making a profit), being them more costly only tells you that they are richer or less stingy. In this case we were talking about cruisers that wanted to cruise extensively, as many on this forum.
I think you missed my point. The idea that you would spend that much without really knowing what you really want is just crazy but you see it all the time.

But I've seen it time after time with boats, RV's, cabins and other extremely expensive toys.

I'm not buying the rich guys just don't care. Guys don't become rich being stupid with money and this is probably at least a half million loss. Now a small pecentage are simply rich and it doesn't really matter but most it represents a large percentage of thier net worth.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:53   #38
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,761
Re: Gunboat 55 for sale so quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I think you missed my point. The idea that you would spend that much without really knowing what you really want is just crazy but you see it all the time.
....
Yes, but it really amazes me the number of guys that buy a new or used boat based on hear saying, publicity or forum opinions without actually having sail tested that particular boat or even similarly typed sailboats.

The same happens with cars and it makes me crazy but it is just what most people do.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:48   #39
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Gunboat 55 for sale so quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Well folks thank goodness I have read all the posts relevant to the 55 GB for sale, those comments have put me right off I will hang on to my trusty Lagoon 400 a bit longer and take my A$3.5m cheque back to the bank, whew!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
I reckon you should split your savings with me since i posted it originally.

I'll be in Hervey Bay next year to collect.
Funny stuff you two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
To the original question: I see this all the time with big ticket toys. Always seems crazy to me.

Also, when you talk about a multimillion dollar boat, to hire a navel architect to go down to the factory a couple times a week for $50k is a drop in the bucket.
INDEED!!!
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:04   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 444
Re: Gunboat 55 for sale so quickly?

Well, guys, you probably know the story about demasted and abandoned Gunboat 55 hull #1 about year ago. Even though it looks like obvious owners mistake (it looks like they've pretended that the boat is so good, they can do anything and anywhere), I'm sure it still would scare buyers (these who already paid for boat). The hull was discovered half a year later, it tells how strong the hull is...But look at these pictures. They're disturbing. If I would own one of these boats, I would worry too, no matter what. So...I don't think that seller will get anything close to $2.5mil. $1m-$1.5m - more realistic number, to attract these buyers, who never could afford one otherwise. I'm sure they won't be scared. It's very nice boat after all.
RAINMAKER UPDATE: Photos of Abandoned Gunboat 55 Hull No. 1 Adrift at Sea | Sailfeed
__________________
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:00   #41
SVI
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Med
Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution
Posts: 204
Re: Gunboat 55 for sale so quickly?

G55 is heavy, period.... 16 tons! She is heavier than my production (FP) 48ft cat...
Funny enough, the previous model G66 is 15t. And you can see how slow she is compared to other GB fleet...

And the current HH55 built in China is 10-11t, cost $2m.
__________________

__________________
Sailing sabbathical anyone?
SVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
for sale, sale

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boat Porn = Gunboat 62 'Safari' (for Sale) Sand crab Multihull Sailboats 35 23-02-2012 06:00
Full Ahead to Full Astern . . . Very Quickly deltasig Engines and Propulsion Systems 14 13-09-2010 22:40
HELP Needed Quickly on Peterson 44 S/V Willow Construction, Maintenance & Refit 22 22-08-2009 23:08
Earth's Magnetic Pole Drifting Quickly CaptainK Polar Regions 0 10-12-2005 00:59



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:36.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.