Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 19:15   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Great Boat Broker

So it isn't that often I have had an experience with a boat broker that was so good I felt the need to publicly recommend them. But having just taken delivery on a new to me Corsair Sprint 750 I have been absolutely overwhelmed by the customer support from Steve and Tanya at The Finish Line OTC in Stuart Florida.

We started the process of buying this boat with a phone call to them asking if they could arrange a test sail. Having never sailed a trimaran before we had no idea if this was a boat that we would like, and of all the brokers I talked too, they were the only ones willing to take us out just to see if a trimaran was even an option. Having called at least six brokers to try and set this up the fact that they were willing to put a test sail together with no promises, or even implications that a purchase was in the works was pretty impressive.

So we flew down to see them at their shop, where they were welcoming and accommodating, then took us out on an all day test sail just to orient us to what sailing a trimaran is like. Of course we bought the boat from them, so obviously we liked it, but this isn't about the boat selection.

After settling on the fact that we did in fact want the Sprint 750, Steve did a great job of pulling every boat in the US that was for sale, then running a huge spreadsheet detailing the cost differences in each of the boats (balancing for gear and shipping costs). Finally we settled on a specific boat, and within days had an accepted offer.

No muss, no fuss, just got the deal done, and was able to hammer out the few issues in no time flat.

Now this is where it gets really amazing. Once we took delivery on the boat the plan was to have it shipped to Jamaica by ship, which required disassembling the boat, packing it into a container, loading up the hundreds of pounds of boat gear we bought in addition to the boat, then arranging for shipping. Given that the boat needed to be loaded and on its way in less than seven days I didn't think it was possible, but thanks to some long hours, and working thru Thanksgiving, Steve and Tanya got it done, and with time to spare.

Then because it was going to be necessary to put the boat back together on the commercial wharf in Jamaica, Steve offered to fly down and help assemble it for nothing more than the cost of a plane ticket, and a day getting to sail the boat in Jamaica.

Six long hours on the wharf in Jamaica fighting through customs agents, brokers, inspections, and finally thanks to Steve the boat was ready to be trailered. Then a three hour drive across the island to drop the boat in the water.

Withing an hour of getting to the ramp the boat was in the water, the mast was up, and all the while giving a seminar on how to put the boat in the water, so we know how to do it next time.

Having been involved in the boat industry for years, owned close to a dozen different boats, working in boat yards for years, and now selling marine equipment, I have never had the pleasure of working with a broker that was as dedicated to making the sale and resultant delivery as painless as possible. And given that the boat was traveling internationally, and had to be disassembled that's saying something.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:22   #2

Re: Great Boat Broker

Impressive service!

IMO you should post a link to their business. I'm sure there would be people in this forum who would appreciate dealing with them.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 19:29   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

+1!

They spent a lot of time with me when I was in the market. I ended up not buying through them but they were so helpful if I am ever looking again they are the first people I'll call.
Old 06-01-2013, 22:40   #4

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Great story, but who would turn down round trip tickets to an exotic island in exchange for a few hours in boat clothes in a vacation paradise? Not like Mike Row being afraid to answer the phone when his producer calls. We are going where? To bite off goat testicles?

Congrats on the new sailboat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	this thread is useless without pichers.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	52322
Old 06-01-2013, 23:07   #5

We had heard all the stories about the terrible boat brokers out there from this forum. We went into boat buying with fearing these loathed people. We ended up with the most awesome friend we could have ever met. He made sure that the boat we purchased was a good fit for us, even though we knew once we walked on her she was our boat. There are good Brokers out there.
We have owned the boat for 6 months and the brokerage has been supportive with all issues and I cannot recommend a better brokerage. There are happy endings to boat buying!
flyin sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 19:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Not the first time i have heard good reports about Finish Line. I have no personal contact with them but have a number of clients who have, and they all report that they were good to deal with.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 14:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Gary,

Well, the trip to the island was a pretty miserable trip to be honest. Steve left his house at 5am, arrived at the Kingston Airport at 7:30 or so, then met us at the port by 8. We worked to get the boat on the trailer until about 1, then had a 4 hour trip over crappy roads to get it home, arriving about 5. We then spent the rest of the day getting the boat ready to go in the water, finally calling it a day around 8pm.

The next day we were back at the boat early, spent a few hours taking videos of how to take the mast up and down, then finally launched at noon. We had a brief sail of about an hour before Steve was back on the road headed to the airport.

I am glad everyone else's experience with them has been so good. I will try to get some pictures up today or tomorrow.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote