Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 14:23   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Gratuity/Tipping

My husband and I are going to be taking a 7 day "live-aboard" class to (finally) get our formal sailing instructions. We will be on a 40 foot catamaran, and are planning on learning a lot, and can't wait!!

So, I'm reading through the FAQ on the school's website, and it says that it is "standard practice in the industry to tip your instructor". Then it goes on to say that a "typical tip would range between 15% and 20% of your course fee".

WOWZA!!!

It cost us $5000 for 4 certifications for 2 of us.. so, we would be talking about $750-1000!!! really??

Up until this very moment, I never even once thought about tipping our instructor. We paid $5000 to be taught. Why do we need to pay our teacher for doing what we've paid him/her to do?

If I pay money for a class at the university, I don't tip my professor... When I pay for piano lessons, I don't tip my teacher.. if I pay for a yoga class.. I don't tip my instructor. So, I guess I'm baffled.

That being said, what are your thoughts? is this really industry practice? Would you tip? or wouldn't you tip? if so... is 15-20% about right? or is it too high?

(for what it's worth, we have already purchased a very nice thank you gift for our instructor. I thought it was a classy and thoughtful thing to do.. but now I'm thinking that it will not get a good reception.)
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 14:35   #2

Boat: Sceptre 36
Re: Gratuity/Tipping

I am an instructor, have been for 20 years. Students often buy me dinner after or during the course, never received a tip ever. Would not expect one.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 14:50   #3

Boat: Pearson 367

following...
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 15:21   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

That's nuts !!!!! Your paying top dollar for professional instruction not a party cruise.
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 15:28   #5

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

If your are on a crewed charter then yes, you would tip that much. Is there crew our just your group and a instructor. If there are crew taking care of any party of your trip than you tip them based on what they do. If not then you cooking for the instructor is tip enough.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 15:50   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

It's been discussed at great length several times before. Here are three threads I found with a quick search on "tipping instructor" (Using the Google Custom Search under the Search link at the top of the page)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-6746-1.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-133607-1.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ual-28559.html
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 22:46   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400
Gratuity/Tipping

The wife and I took a week course a few years back. We tipped $200 each. 15-20% is the range suggested on the website but seemed high for a course. We shared cooking/cleaning duties and paid for instructor meals while on shore. So our tip was a thank you for good instruction.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 23:12   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I once tipped a ski instructor, all the students did, after a week's instruction, but it was nothing so large.

Frankly, Scarlet, I think the website is bullying you, and I'd be confounded if I'd tip like that. i think your generous, classy gift is more than enough, and if he or she doesn't like it, **** 'em. Tips are to show appreciation for something over and above the call of duty.

In this case, a smoothly run course, with everybody having a good chance to learn all that is supposed to be covered. Especially if the students are doing all the labor for meals, cleanup, set-up for the class, &c. After hours instruction could earn a tip, especially if the student were in danger of falling behind.

Just my opinion.

ann
Old 06-02-2016, 00:21   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Here is an idea, you have US dollars, they are worth a bit here - Fly to Australia, do the training here, pay NO tips. What with the exchange rate etc it will probably cost no more and you will experience a great sailing destination.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:04   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Many US based charter sites have tip recommendations. Also many of the skippers and hostesses receive the recommended tips. That adds up to a lot on your average 10-20K weeks charter, but usually the tip is split between the the guests anyway. Speaking with a lot of charter captains about it, it seems pretty much the rule, rather than the exception that they get at least a 10% tip, especially from US based guests. My guess would be that you are daeaing with one of those companies, rather than one specifically aimed at training, possibly you will be doing a basic bareboat certificate and catamaran cruising or something, so the charter is more a service industry standard than a training industry standard. It's likely there will be other guests so the tip could be shared among the guests.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:26   #11

Boat: Lagoon 42

I have done most of the ASA and RYA week-long courses and everyone on those courses has always tipped between 10-15%. This is common in live aboard courses where the instructors are usually greatly underpaid for their work. Remember only a portion of your payment actually goes to the instructor and he/she will be with you and on the clock for 150+ hours that week. Yes, it annoying that the companies pass the bucket to us to pay their employees, but that's how the economics of that industry work.

If you are doing the course with bwss here is a day by day report of our experience. Let me know if you have questions.
http://bluebuddhaadventures.com/cate...ail/?order=asc

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:56   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Gratuity/Tipping

Well who knows..
One day the rich twats who run the US of A may start paying their citizens a living wage for the 1st time in history.. then we could get rid of this demeaning way of having to earn a living..
Cannot ever see it happening tho'.. to much individual self interest/fear to ever make any changes..
Just gotta say TAX and you **** yourselves...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
If your are on a crewed charter then yes, you would tip that much. Is there crew our just your group and a instructor. If there are crew taking care of any party of your trip than you tip them based on what they do. If not then you cooking for the instructor is tip enough.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hi Scuba..
I agree with your assessment regarding crewed charters.. and taking care of the crew. There is no crew on this boat, other than an instructor. We are doing all the cooking, etc...

That being said... I think I will give my gift and card.. and if the instructor goes above and beyond reasonable expectations, we will tip. but not as high as suggested. frankly, that is just out of our budget.. by a lot...
Old 06-02-2016, 06:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Here is an idea, you have US dollars, they are worth a bit here - Fly to Australia, do the training here, pay NO tips. What with the exchange rate etc it will probably cost no more and you will experience a great sailing destination.
Now this is the BEST idea I've heard!!!!! now if only I could get YOU to be our instructor.. hmmm. might be a tip in it for you!! LOL
Old 06-02-2016, 06:28   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Best tip I could give would be to' do your job properly, collect your wages, if wages not enough get better job. But I'll be pleased to buy you a drink ashore, even dinner if you're really good'.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote