Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-10-2010, 08:32   #1

Boat: Allure privilege 39 -Intervention
Good Location to Paint a Cat

Refitting a 39 privilege this last year and things are going slow with a full time job and life. Im sure I am setting myself up for you get what you pay for but. Read on

I spent the summer hand grinding the bottom due to osmotic blistering and finally got it afloat with the help of 15 gals of epoxy. With plenty more work on the table I wanted to find an area South of Miami and the Keys. Maybe Honduras, trini, south america that can paint a cat. I haven't had much luck with information on this. Its Extremely expensive state side and I just dont have the time. I can get materials at cost which is half the battle. Any help on someones experience spraying 2 part urethane???? prep etc.

Anyone else with a privilege or similar boat, Im replacing electronics, charging, headliner and considering DC current air conditioning. ( for small areas. I would just like advice with all of the experience out there on any of the above subjects.

miami privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 20:53   #2

Boat: Privilege P43-47
Miami Privilege

Welcome to the real world. I have a 'stretched' P43 docked on the Miami River just down from Merril Stevens boatyard. After nearly 15 years with same boat, I have done just about everything you can do it, so if you need some advice, let me know.

emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 00:20   #3

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 42
Cartagena, Columbia has a great painter if you are looking for topsides paint and very reasonable prices with some great local paint products. Cartegena is also an interesting city quite popular with cruisers. Lots of options for boat projects, but brush up on your Spanish to get the best deals. Once there just be sure to ask for referrals to find the best tradesmen.
David Kane
Atlantic42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 03:59   #4

Miami Privilege,

I can recommend a great guy who lives in Miami. He works full time for a top name yard but does work on the side. He has painted two boats for me. Really nice guy to work with. PM me for contact info.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 04:51   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
I've seen boats tented for painting at crackerboy boat works in Ft. Pierce. It's a do it yourself yard, a little closer than columbia
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 05:46   #6

Sorry mate, I thought this post was about something else.

Failure is most often times a temporary condition........
Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 06:33   #7

Boat: Allure privilege 39 -Intervention

I guess literal is literal pretty funny
miami privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:45   #8

Boat: F31
I have a P39 and have replaced engines, refrigeration, 120v panel/wiring, charger/invertor/batteries, installed solar, waste treatment, and many many other projects in the past 2 years. If you have questions about a specific project feel free to contact me directly.
IslandHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:12   #9

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter
Congratulations on the work you have completed!!! We just finished a complete refit on a 52' Kanter monohull in south Florida, including complete painting with Alexseal 2 part, so I feel compelled to comment. The problem is that it either costs your time or your money... we went the "do it yourself" route and spent hunderds of hours in prep time, then had a pro shoot the paint. This is probably the cheapest option in the states, still giving you a professional paint job. We saw numerous jobs while in the yard, and you can hire cheap labor but you have to supervise them. So either way, it costs time or money.
Spraying two- part paint yourself is highly do-able and good equipment is availale relatively cheaply. The problem is lack of experience, so in our case, we elected to do the grunt prep work and hire a pro to shoot it. This didn't cost any more than buying or renting the spray equipment and spraying ourselves. The time consuming part is the prep work- you can literally shoot a side of a 52' hull in 3 hours!!
I previously did a complete refit on a 43' monohull in Trinidad, and I will tell you that you must factor in travel and hassle- I got a great price, but adding travel and some additional expenses, it probably washes out equally. The individuals who can save money on a offshore refit are those that are crusing full time and can live there cheaply and supervise the refit.
Hope these thoughts are helpful.... I am just finishing recovering over 40 pieces of headliner panelling and my partner is reinstalling deck hardware and fittings. We hope to cut the docklines at the first of the year.......

sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: