Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2008, 09:52   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Good Books on Cruising Catamarans?

I am a cruising catamaran newbie and am trying to learn as much about modern catamarans as possible. Are there any recent books on catamaran design and sailing that you would recommend? Older books would be fine if the information is still relevant to newer boats. I have been sailing all my life so I am not looking for books on how to sail although books on how to sail large modern catamarans would be helpful.

I went to the library and pretty much only found books on how to make your own boat out of plywood and fiberglass or ferro cement that were pretty old as well as books on how to sail Hobie type small cats. (I used to own and race a Hobie 18.) The local Barnes and Noble bookstore had nothing on the subject of cruising catamarans. I found one book written by the ASA about catamarans at the library but the information was for people with virtually no boating experience...explaining how to tie fenders etc. I have had a few naval architecture courses so something at that level I think could understand.

Thanks

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 10:06   #2
cruiser

The library won't usually have much...

Try bluewaterbooks.com

They have *everything*. I just bought Gavin LeSueur's "Multihull Seamanship" from them at their retail location in Ft Lauderdale. They ship worldwide though...
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 10:14   #3

[quote=David M;135864]
Are there any recent books on catamaran design and sailing that you would recommend? Older books would be fine if the information is still relevant to newer boats. I have been sailing all my life so I am not looking for books on how to sail although books on how to sail large modern catamarans would be helpful.

I have them all and one of the best is written by Gregor Tarjan. I recommend it. You can search his name on Amazon to get the exact title. Beware, there are two versions of the same book out...one goes for approximately $30 and the other $50. They are identical. I bought them both thinking one was the updated version.
MikeMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 11:16   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Thanks Sullivan and Mike for the good ideas.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 11:19   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I agree with Mikemak on Gregor Tarjan's book on Cruising Multihulls - it includes not only general information on design and construction , but also a useful section on sailing and anchoring the modern cruising cat.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 11:20   #6

Boat: PDQ32
books

I agree that Gregor Tarjan's book is excellent.

Charles Kantor's book is also worth a read - he sells thru his web site at Sailco Press
Old 19-02-2008, 11:27   #7

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMak;135878

I have them all and one of the best is written by Gregor Tarjan. I recommend it. You can search his name on Amazon to get the exact title. Beware, there are two versions of the [U
same[/U] book out...one goes for approximately $30 and the other $50. They are identical. I bought them both thinking one was the updated version.
I second MikeMak, I don't know about the difference in the two book prices mentioned. But even Gregor got a few technical points wrong in the first edition of his book, I believe they were to be corrected in the second edition now published by (McGrawHill?). And a number of established catamaran designers didn't make it in to this book, pity!
Still an excellent book.
Roger
multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 11:40   #8

Chris WHite's "The Cruising Catamaran". It's not new, but it's mostly up-to-date.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 11:47   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I am just now finishing Chris White's book for the third time. Although sometimes I think he is a wee bit prejudice in his writings. Still good reading............
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 15:54   #10
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Charles Kanter has written a couple of books on this subject. The latest was just published.

Click on this link

Cruising Catamaran Communiqué
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 21:27   #11

[quote=MikeMak;135878]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have them all and one of the best is written by Gregor Tarjan. I recommend it. You can search his name on Amazon to get the exact title. Beware, there are two versions of the same book out...one goes for approximately $30 and the other $50. They are identical. I bought them both thinking one was the updated version.
Interesting. I was wondering if the books were different. I read the older hardbound expensive version. Good Book.

I read Kanter's older version, "Cruising in Catamarans". Buy the updated version "Cruising Catamaran Communique". If you buy directly from the publisher, appears to be Kanter's company, Cruising in Catamarans by Charles Kanter, AMS I assume he'll autograph it for you and ship it to you, at least that's what he did for me. He also offered to talk to me on the phone when I ordered the book and answer any questions that I had about catamarans.

Both good books and worth buying in my opinion.
Steve Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 21:40   #12

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
Charles Kanter has written a couple of books on this subject. The latest was just published.

Click on this link

Cruising Catamaran Communiqué
Yeah and anyone who has a white beard and wears a hat like Charles must write a mean catamaran book.

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 22:36   #13
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
Yeah and anyone who has a white beard and wears a hat like Charles must write a mean catamaran book.

Keegan
Let me get this straight. If a guy has gray hair, this cancels his 30 years of catamaran sailing experience? I think you might need to explain this remark.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 22:59   #14

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
Let me get this straight. If a guy has gray hair, this cancels his 30 years of catamaran sailing experience? I think you might need to explain this remark.

Uhhh, you said that, not I, nor did I imply that.

I was just noticing his rather Motley appearence.

I presume his catamaran books are A-OK and I would suggest you lighten up, old feller'.:cubalibre

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 04:37   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat
While I value all the books mentioned some that I think are more than worth the money and effort to locate are: Multihull Voyaging by T. F. Jones, Catamaran Sailing by Derek Kelsall, Design for Fast Sailing by the American Yacht Research Society, Multihulls for Cruising and Racing by Derek Harvey and Multihulls Offshore by Rob James. While most are out of print they are worth the broad and thorough foundation they provide, IMHO. Most can be found through Amazon. John Shuttleworth used to sell his own design booklet but he has taken it off the market. If you could locate one of his I would advise that one as well.

Pat
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote