Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 12:18   #1

Boat: Fontaine Pajot Lipari 41
Question Good boatyards in Tampa bay

I am thinking of booking in to Progressive Marine in Tampa Bay for summer storage etc.
Any comments regarding the yard?
Monty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:53   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Good boat yards in Tampa Bay

That is on Salt Creek. There are a handful of boatyards there all right next to each other. You might want to check out Sailor's Wharf, Embree, Elite, and Salt Creek Marina while you're at it.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 03:38   #3

Re: Good boatyards in Tampa bay

Can't add anything to your choice so far. I do know that I've heard great things about Snead Island. Lots of cats back in the yard also.
TxAgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 07:24   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty1 View Post
I am thinking of booking in to Progressive Marine in Tampa Bay for summer storage etc.
Any comments regarding the yard?
You would be much wiser to run down to Snead Island Boat Works on the Manatee River. Much wiser...trust me.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 14:38   #5

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU

My experience at Progressive was very poor. Overcharging, unauthorized work, belligerent attitude by yard owner. I later learned that the yard has a very poor reputation locally.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 06:55   #6

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Whatever you do, stay away from Progressive Marine. The worst boatyard in St. Petersburg. Maybe even in the state. Anyhow, it's the worst boatyard I've encountered in 40 years of sailing.

The owner offers "bottom job specials" at a low price, then does a bait and switch once you're on the stands. He pressures you to get sandblasting and an epoxy barrier coat -- not actually needed unless you have bad blisters -- and slow walks you if you resist. He wants several thousand dollars extra for the work.

If you continue to resist, he hits you with a huge bill for sanding the bottom -- mine was $1,400 -- and piles on extra charges that were not part of the original estimate.

There are also complaints around the Internet and in marinas and sailing clubs about questionable work, inflated labor charges,, etc. My estimated $500 cutless bearing replacement on a Catalina 320 turned into an $1,800 job in the hands of his expert yard crew.

Word is getting around Tampa Bay about Progressive, but owners of large boats such as catamarans are stuck because he has the only Travel Lift in St. Pete big enough to haul them. Some owners of large boats are starting to go to Tampa to avoid having to do business with Progressive.

If you're considering Progressive, you can find complaints at activecaptain.com, Google, Yelp, ripoffreport.com and probably other web sites.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 06:56   #7

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320
Re: Good boat yards in Tampa Bay

Whatever you do, stay away from Progressive Marine. The worst boatyard in St. Petersburg. Maybe even in the state. Anyhow, it's the worst boatyard I've encountered in 40 years of sailing.

The owner offers "bottom job specials" at a low price, then does a bait and switch once you're on the stands. He pressures you to get sandblasting and an epoxy barrier coat -- not actually needed unless you have bad blisters -- and slow walks you if you resist. He wants several thousand dollars extra for the work.

If you continue to resist, he hits you with a huge bill for sanding the bottom -- mine was $1,400 -- and piles on extra charges that were not part of the original estimate.

There are also complaints around the Internet and in marinas and sailing clubs about questionable work, inflated labor charges,, etc. My estimated $500 cutless bearing replacement on a Catalina 320 turned into an $1,800 job in the hands of his expert yard crew.

Word is getting around Tampa Bay about Progressive, but owners of large boats such as catamarans are stuck because he has the only Travel Lift in St. Pete big enough to haul them. Some owners of large boats are starting to go to Tampa to avoid having to do business with Progressive.

If you're considering Progressive, you can find complaints at activecaptain.com, Google, Yelp, ripoffreport.com and probably other web sites.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 09:12   #8

Boat: Leopard 39

I had a short haul done at Progressive, and had no issues; but local poop from sailors and people in the trades is that Salt Creek is famous for cost overruns of estimates. I'm using Viking Boat Yard a little further north on the North Gandy Channel. They have a sling for cats, and they seem honest, and very upfront about costs.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:14   #9

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

We are in Tampa Bay and need a haulout for our Lagoon 440. Any other options than Premium that can do a 25.5 ft beam?
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boatyards