Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-02-2016, 16:15   #1

Boat: none right now but soon
Good boat for blue water cruising

I am looking at a Iroquois Mark 1 30' 1967 cat. It needs some inside work, and a different outboard motor. Does any one have any experience with this builder and is it a good boat? From your experience.

Old 22-02-2016, 17:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Good boat for blue water cruising

You might get more responses if you fit the boat name into the title. The current title(Good boat for blue water cruising) is generic and has been posted too many times.

Old 22-02-2016, 18:17   #3

manufactoring problems?

The pictures don't show the name.
Old 22-02-2016, 18:22   #4

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You might get more responses if you fit the boat name into the title. The current title(Good boat for blue water cruising) is generic and has been posted too many times.
Very true

Also, click the below your avatar and ask the mods to move your topic; it fits best in the "Multihull" forum and not in "Destinations"
Old 22-02-2016, 18:24   #5

Thank you both
Old 22-02-2016, 19:46   #6

Iroquois cat

I am looking at buying an Iroquois Mark 1 30' cat 1967 model. Does any one have any experience with this builder? Is this boat a good blue water boat? You can look at the add on pop yachts. I am thinking it will take around $5000 to finish it up. It is my first ocean boat. I am retiring to a boat (maybe this one) this year. Will be taking sailing lessons for about a year.
Old 22-02-2016, 20:08   #7

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Iroquois cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver58 View Post
You can look at the add on pop yachts.
Have to create an account on that site to look at the pics

Better site, same boat: https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...k-i-30-5445801

Looked it up out of curiosity, never heard of Iroquois before.

I think I'd look for a Prout or something more like that, but that's just a personal (and budget) thing. I only just started looking at smaller cats and am still in doubt cos I'm a monohul kinda gal at heart

Better wait for the people who actually know a thing or 2 about cats to respond
Old 22-02-2016, 21:10   #8

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I was trying to buy one for a bit, but never managed to get on one. Check out the owners' association for good info.
Common problems are leaking centerboard trunks, and have heard of the front beam wearing out.
Earlier models had a higher mast and capsizes were not unheard of.
I believe a couple may have circumnavigated but that's not to say you (nor I!) should.
That price seems high based on what I've seen. I would expect an Iroquois in good condition with decent kit to go for twenty to twenty five thousand.

These come up on the forum a few times a year, be sure to search past threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-02-2016, 03:23   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

We had a Mk2 Iroquois for 10 years and sailed it the UK south coast and across channel to Normandy and Brittany. The Mk1 is very similar but there are significant differences:
  • Hull beam slightly narrower giving lower overall beam by 6", I think 14ft
  • Hulls and cabin top slightly lower (sleeker) giving a little less headroom inside
  • Rig is 3/4 with fully battened main compared to Mk2 which is masthead sloop with conventional main and up to 200% genoa
The Mk 1 was fast for its time and won an early Round Brittain race. They both are great strongly well built boats with the following weaknesses:
  • As someone has said, centerboard cases can crack at the hull/case junction, particularly if you sail with windward board down which was the advice to minimise capsize risk. It is easily fixed with glass.
  • Forward cross beams can corrode due to enclosed nature (not free draining). As they are bedded into each bow, repair is less straight forward but still possible.
  • They can capsize, mainly by being sailed over. I don't have the statistics but I believe both versions were equally susceptible, both because of the narrow beam plus with the Mk1 because of the large roached main and the Mk 2 because of the huge overlapping genoa. Our Mk 2 had a 110% furling genoa and that sailed fine and I never felt she would tip but we did have over 20 years experience on smaller cruising multis. A Mk 1 has circumnavigated.
  • The Iroquois owners association has a wealth of info now merged with Heavenly Twins association.
For it's day, the Iroquois was a step change in cruising cats. It has a nice galley down and comfortable bunks and saloon seating. If you have experience and common sense, they are a great, good looking and safe boat, BUT, a significant number have capsized either when racing or sailed by inexperienced multihull sailors.
Old 23-02-2016, 03:55   #10
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Iroquois cat

As has been stated.. they are a reasonably speedy cruising cat.. limited headroom in the saloon but they were the fastest of the emerging grp Condo-Cat market of the time.. there were quite a few other marques in ply as well.. it kinda grabbed the imagination in the 60's/70's UK.
I prefer them to Prout, Catalac and the Twins.. and if you follow the reef early rule she'll make a great coastal-island hopper live aboard.. for Ocean crossings I'd stick to the Trade Routes tho' being designed for the UK market they are ruggedly built for sea's 50*N and upwards.. so once experienced with the boats idiosyncrocies you could expand your cruising grounds..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 05:36   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Reading between the lines, I guess you are looking for a low cost low maintenance cat to livabord and do water sailing">blue water sailing. While the Iroquois is a fine boat and some have done that, it is not ideally suited to that role for reasons already mentioned plus they are not great load carriers. For not much more money, you could get a GRP Prout 35 Snowgoose. They really are proven blue water cats, with many circumnavigations and very safe. They were slower but with a cutter rig and very large foresail they make a much better tradewind boat and probably no slower than a laden Iroquois as many cats drop the main anyway to prevent chafe. The living area is more spacious with the long 2 part saloon.
With twin furling headsails and a small main, the rig is easily handled and rapidly reefed down without leaving the cockpit. A single engine and steerable Silette stern drive are standard and allow all maintenance without slipping. Fixed keels and rudder skegs allow taking the ground safely. They are great value these days.
Old 23-02-2016, 07:13   #12

Boat: Iroquois MKII Cat

Welcome. Take a look at the Iroquois Facebook Group too. There is regular owner activity almost daily and members with long term Iroquois experience.

The pictures of the size of them can be deceiving. The MK1 is a relatively light, fast, fun easy to sail boat that probably has more in common with a beachcat than the condos many people envision by default when they hear the term catamaran. The first cat I looked at was a clean endeavor 30...Nice, but entirely different animal than the Iroquois 30. If you have not seen a few catamarans in person yet the best thing you can do is go take a look at a few, you will most likely get a gut feeling right away if its what you want.
Old 23-02-2016, 07:57   #13

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
[*]They can capsize, mainly by being sailed over. I don't have the statistics but I believe both versions were equally susceptible, both because of the narrow beam plus with the Mk1 because of the large roached main and the Mk 2 because of the huge overlapping genoa. Our Mk 2 had a 110% furling genoa and that sailed fine and I never felt she would tip but we did have over 20 years experience on smaller cruising multis. A Mk 1 has circumnavigated..

Rap-with the big genoa, what did you blow when things started to slide off the table-the main or the Genoa (assuming pinching up wasn't an option). Just wondering as there have been some threads on preventing cat capsize in smaller boats that largely concluded depowering the main first was the best solution, but that might change with a large headsail. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-02-2016, 11:23   #14

Good cat for coastal cruising and Bahamas.
Simple and shoal draft.
It will scare you in stronger winds.
Old 23-02-2016, 11:35   #15
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Good boat for blue water cruising

Either someone else is looking at the same boat.. or you've 2 Threads running..
Maybe some Mod Magic can meld them..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: