Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 06:34   #1

Boat: Leopard 46
Getting a 75lb dog back aboard your multihull

Yes, I know this is a pet question and there is a pet forum here, but it's also a multihull question since we multihull owners have transom designs that are unlike many monohulls. We own a Leopard 46 and our third child is a sweet sweet 75lb chocolate lab. Wouldn't leave her behind for anything. Contemplating how to get Sasha back aboard our boat after swims or falling in. Thinking about replacing the swim ladder with some kind of custom built step ladder that folds up neatly against the transom steps. Those of you who cruise with a large dog, what have you done?

We'd prefer to keep one transom open for dinghy boarding, so a multi-purpose solution on one of the transoms (something that works for both dog and man) would be ideal. If you have a solution for this, please let us know and pics would be great too!!!

Thanks!

Rob
RRMontgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:15   #2

Re: Getting a 75lb dog back aboard your multihull

I guess a form of ladder that conforms to the shape size and profile of the existing hull steps would work. Most dogs can be encouraged to climb up and down steps on their own. A normal ladder might be a bit hard though.

Rigged for duty it would be pinned on one of the lower steps so the whole thing is self supporting, and it goes down to below the water line to aid the dog getting a foothold.

Stowed within the shape and profile of the hull steps. The object would be to still have use of the steps even when the ladder is stowed over them. You are going to have to work out some method of attachment for stowed and in use purposes.

Bond some marine carpet on the tread surface for grip.
ZULU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:39   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

2 options

This one is a ladder.
Doggy Boat Ladders by WaterDog Adventure Gear
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 14:33   #4

We saw this one and thought it might be worth trying as well.

Dog On Water Ramp | Helping dogs enjoy retrieving!
Ridgeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 14:56   #5

Why not climb aboard, then lift her onto the swim step? Isnt that doable? Are your swim steps low and easy like most cats? You do have a doggy life jacket with the handle on top right?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 15:03   #6

Boat: Leopard 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Why not climb aboard, then lift her onto the swim step? Isnt that doable? Are your swim steps low and easy like most cats? You do have a doggy life jacket with the handle on top right?
At 75 pounds, it's doable for me though not desirable to do it often (like when she's fetching a ball), and probably not doable for my wife. Our bottom swim step is just above water level. I'm also concerned if she gets in the water when we're not immediately around or falls in. I was envisioning leaving a ramp or something in the water so she could extricate herself if necessary. We haven't taken Sasha to the boat yet but hope to in the near future and will definitely put a life jacket on her. The comments here have given me a lot of ideas to work with. Thanks everyone!!!
RRMontgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 12:00   #7

Boat: Lagoon 380

Our 39 kg German Boxer can climb ud the ladder and swimming platform without help.
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 09:34   #8

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Spent years sailing with a 60 lb.poodle aboard a 45' cat. The dog was trained to not go in the water from the boat unless he got in the dinghy first. This was a very important piece of training.

Only fell overboard once, when he rolled over in his sleep right off the deck. This was in a marina so I reached over and pulled him back up. When we were at sea he was harnessed at night or in inclement weather.

He easily got on board from the dinghy by using the transom steps. If for some reason we needed to get him out of the water at the big boat we hauled him into the dinghy first.

Tags
hull, multihull