Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2017, 15:02   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Gemini Legacy 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
We get it, you hate the boat.

We owned one for 10yrs and knew lots of other owners. No one ever had any of the issues you are bringing up handling lines and your issues are easily addressed if you don't like the setup.
According to the brochure and my memory, the Gemini Legacy was introduced in 2013. Are you sure you and your friends have had these for 10 years, or do you have a 105MC, which is a boat I very much like.

I am NOT bashing Gemini. There are a lot of cool things about them. I almost bought one and I believe I would have liked it. I have sailed on several.

HISTORY OF GEMINI CATAMARANS
PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA SINCE 1981
In 1981 the very first Gemini Catamaran was launched
and
at the time no one knew it would start a legacy. With
the introduction of this boat the market experienced the
complete redefinition of the mid-sized performance cruising
boat. There have been more than 1,100 Gemini Catamarans
built since its inception.
In October, 2012 the Gemini Legacy 35 was introduced;
keeping all the best qualities of a Gemini; her narrow beam,
performance sailing ability, and shallow draft, but simplifying
some of the systems to appeal to a cruising family.
Old 06-12-2017, 23:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
According to the brochure and my memory, the Gemini Legacy was introduced in 2013. Are you sure you and your friends have had these for 10 years, or do you have a 105MC, which is a boat I very much like.

I
If you aren't going to read the thread, I'm not going to repeat myself for you since you've already made your point very clear.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:09   #18

Boat: Hunter 36

The Gemini 105 MC is an excellent boat, but it had to sacrifice a little sail area because they designed it somewhat narrow for a catamaran, in order to fit into standard slips. For that reason, the Legacy wanted to keep that same width, but unfortunately went longer by a couple feet, so likely making it heavier and slower.

I haven't sailed on one, but I've been aboard, and I didn't notice any problems with quality. The layout from the 105 MC was changed so that instead of the owners cabin and head forward, you now have owners cabin and a small guest cabin forward with a very thin wall in between. That means that couples with children would have to be VERY quiet at night... but other than that I didn't see any issues. you can even install an optional second head hidden underneath that guest berth. And I don't think I've seen an owner's berth that had such a great view of the stars.

In my admittedly limited experience, overall it seems like a great boat for coastal cruising. I wouldn't like to cross an ocean in one though. I would prefer the 105 for that.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:57   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I actually didn't know they still made them. There was a thread on them a few years back along these lines.

Probably a fine intercoastal mostly motor cat.i doubt outboard would help the sailing much. Probably just make you wish you had diesels.

But order one up with outboards, maybe Honda 15s or the new 9.9 fuel injected Tohatsu and report back.
Old 23-06-2019, 13:30   #20

Seems that all of the posters are not owners. Most of them own the older version of the Gemini, which I would never buy or sail. The others don’t know much and one even said he didn’t think they made them anymore, so I think they’re all kinda misguided. I bought mine at the 2014 Miami boat show. Boarded her, and the AC was hitting me in the face and I thought. Wow that’s great. Couple years before looked at the 105, didn’t like the front bunk sidewYs, they changed that, and who wants a Catamaran with a single engine mounted in the center, dual yanmars make maneuvering easy, spins in a small canal or marina easily, fuel usage is minimal. Plus no gasoline onboard, a major safety concern.

I modified mine and believe it’s the best one on the planet. The electrical panel was upgraded to a BlueSea 360 systems custom panel as I added so many DC and AC circuits to properly fit the vessel. I’ve got the Selden bowsprit and corresponding sail and love it. SSB and Sat phone, water maker, upgraded batteries (3 big AGM), full Ray marine package, upgraded Autopilot, changed out the radio for a Fusion, Mac mini running windows and newest Nobeltec and associated multiple marine software onboard, folding props and PSS shaft seal, etc.

Biggest disappointment was the Panda genset, failed after 100 hours. Required $5000 repair, Panda President gave me a “deal” and fixed it for $2000 after I started posting around the internet about the failure.

Second biggest disappointment was leaking window above the master berth, fixing that this month....

I’m happy, won’t sell and would buy again, fwiw.
rickoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 13:55   #21

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Seems that all of the posters are not owners. Most of them own the older version of the Gemini, which I would never buy or sail.
Don't know why you thought that bringing up a two year old thread was a good idea.........

Why do you hate older Gemini's...........? Seems like you could find something better do with your time, no.........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 11:31   #22

Boat: GEMINI Legacy 35x loa37' x 14'

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
Does anyone have any opinion re a newer Legacy 35? The wife would like a cat and a Gemini seems to have some theoretical strengths for coastal enjoyment.
<Clipped from another thread -SEE POST #35 >

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...at-245737.html
Curtwpk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini