Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2015, 12:46   #1

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Gemini Hull # 1200

I know the Gemini has changed over the years especially recently but that is an impressive number.
Mustangs changed too in the last 34 years.
Let me know if that link works because you might have to register like I did.

Customer Login: HULL 1200, Legacy 35, GEMINI CATAMARANS, Catamaran for Sale, Price: $296,218, NEW, Sail, Model Year 2015, Manufacturer Year 2015
Old 12-03-2015, 13:04   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Re: Gemini Hull # 1200

No, it does require a log-in. Nevertheless, an impressive number indeed. Does it say how many of the 1300 have been the new 35?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 13:19   #3

This one isn't on YW dang it. Here's another link but not much there. This is the first one built by Catalina. Before that was Hunter.
Gemini Catamarans: HULL 1200, Legacy 35, GEMINI CATAMARANS, Catamaran for Sale, Price: $296,218, NEW, Sail, Model Year 2015, Manufacturer Year 2015

BTW that is 1200 Brad. It would be interesting to find out how many are Legacy's.
Old 12-03-2015, 13:22   #4

Used to own a 105Mc. A fine sailing boat for what it is. I think they ruined the Gemini. Poor performance and way too expensive. The old gemini had a great forward stateroom and head, not any more. :-(

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 08:44   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I know the Gemini has changed over the years especially recently but that is an impressive number.
Mustangs changed too in the last 34 years.
Let me know if that link works because you might have to register like I did.

Customer Login: HULL 1200, Legacy 35, GEMINI CATAMARANS, Catamaran for Sale, Price: $296,218, NEW, Sail, Model Year 2015, Manufacturer Year 2015
The link opened fine. No registration required.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 08:56   #6

I registered way back so when I look at their website it automatically logs me in. They used to give away a free issue of Multihulls mag for registering. Maybe still do.
Old 17-03-2015, 06:58   #7

I bought a Gemini 35 at the 2014 Strictly Sail show in Miami. I bought the "loaded" show boat, that was setup with a lot of the extras. ( I added a lot more).

I can answer a few questions about the new Legacy. First my hull is 1165, one of the latest model 2013's, as evidenced by several 2014 changes that are in my boat. So I think the Legacy models start around hull 1150 something.

First of all they didn't "ruin" the Gemini. They enhanced it. As for the new price, well, thats what enhancements cost.

Who wants a catamaran with a single engine anyway? I can spin the Legacy around on a dime with twin screws easily, try that with the single westerbeke.

The fixed keels are way better, no rebuild issues, no robbing cabin space, plus the boat can sit on keels and rudders easily.

As for the Hunter vs. Catalina builds, I inspected the Hull 1200 at the Miami show this year, and without taking out the fridge, crawling into the belly of the thing at the boat show, it's hard to see the true "build" differences. there are hardware changes here and there. I hate the new fake teak and holly floor, the 2013-2014 cherry floor is way nicer. The Catalina build also costs more.

Some things that both builds do not have is dripless shaft seals as standard. This seems stupid.

They have the new Legacy series bang on for the kind of sailor like me, Florida shallow draft, twin diesels, generator and AC, code zero on bow sprit, 14 foot beam, legal in my canal (Lagoons are too wide), and it sails fast and stable, I added MaxiProp 3 blade folding and motors well, all day long.
rickoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 08:16   #8

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Awesome

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 10:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickoneil View Post
I bought a Gemini 35 at the 2014 Strictly Sail show in Miami. I bought the "loaded" show boat, that was setup with a lot of the extras. ( I added a lot more).

I can answer a few questions about the new Legacy. First my hull is 1165, one of the latest model 2013's, as evidenced by several 2014 changes that are in my boat. So I think the Legacy models start around hull 1150 something.

First of all they didn't "ruin" the Gemini. They enhanced it. As for the new price, well, thats what enhancements cost.

Who wants a catamaran with a single engine anyway? I can spin the Legacy around on a dime with twin screws easily, try that with the single westerbeke.

The fixed keels are way better, no rebuild issues, no robbing cabin space, plus the boat can sit on keels and rudders easily.

As for the Hunter vs. Catalina builds, I inspected the Hull 1200 at the Miami show this year, and without taking out the fridge, crawling into the belly of the thing at the boat show, it's hard to see the true "build" differences. there are hardware changes here and there. I hate the new fake teak and holly floor, the 2013-2014 cherry floor is way nicer. The Catalina build also costs more.

Some things that both builds do not have is dripless shaft seals as standard. This seems stupid.

They have the new Legacy series bang on for the kind of sailor like me, Florida shallow draft, twin diesels, generator and AC, code zero on bow sprit, 14 foot beam, legal in my canal (Lagoons are too wide), and it sails fast and stable, I added MaxiProp 3 blade folding and motors well, all day long.
I wouldn't say they ruined it. I would say it's a drastically different boat that doesn't share the same design goals. There is good and bad in that.

As far as a single engine: being steerable, if you know what you are doing, you can manage with a single engine almost as well in tight quarters with a lot less up front cost and you don't have to maintain two drivetrains. I do prefer the outboard option for simplicity but I'm probably biased since that's what we picked. We take her into situations, I would never consider with our old twin inboard power boat.

The fixed keels on the new boats were primarily to make the boat cheaper. Yes, some people have had issues with the boards but on the whole, they are pretty reliable.

Pull up the boards and rudders and you can set a Gemini on the ground without damage.

Impressive the number sold. I'd be curious to hear Tony Smith's honest take on the new design (honest not saying what he is supposed to)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 11:11   #10

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

You can still buy both. Why would you buy the origin if you were considering theses new don't know but you can.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 11:26   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickoneil View Post

I think you bought an ideal boat for specific waters Rick. I have been on one and read everything about them, (which would appear to be critical from the press in one way or another), however, its fine looking boat and large enough for family. Would I have one? Personally, I prefer the design of the 105, but heck yes, its a lot of boat for shallow waters. Congratulations on your purchase.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 12:44   #12

Can anyone comment on Preformance Cruising Gemini 105M 34'. Construction?
Old 18-03-2015, 07:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Can anyone comment on Preformance Cruising Gemini 105M 34'. Construction?
What are you interested in?

The only common complaint I've come across is the layup while plenty strong enough is thin to keep the weight down. This allows flex and gelcoat gets spidercracks when it flexes. This is a cosmetic issue not structural.

Most other structural issues can be traced to impact damage or leaks that have been left unrepaired.
Old 18-03-2015, 10:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
What are you interested in?

The only common complaint I've come across is the layup while plenty strong enough is thin to keep the weight down. This allows flex and gelcoat gets spidercracks when it flexes. This is a cosmetic issue not structural.

Most other structural issues can be traced to impact damage or leaks that have been left unrepaired.
Thanks! I was curious since the prices seem to be considerably less than comparable boats.
Old 18-03-2015, 10:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Thanks! I was curious since the prices seem to be considerably less than comparable boats.
Newer models may be different as they are getting pretty pricey but a lot of the older model pricing could be traced back to assembly line production. They really didn't do much in the way of customizaiton. It's like Ford said, you can have it in any color you want, as long as you want black.

Tags
gemini, hull