Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 16:04   #1

gemini cats

We'll be at the boatshow looking at all the cats again. Finally getting close to selling off all the real estate, etc.. Have some property on the bay near Gulf Shores and heading for living aboard and homebasing there inbetween sails to the hitherto.
Anybody have any info on extended stays on a Gemini? It's just going to be my wife and I with occasional guests. Besides not really being able to afford a big Lagoon or Catana, we really are interested in the shallow draft of the Gemini for FLorida and Bahamas gunkholing. Any tips, stories, logs, etc., will really be appreciated!
bayoubouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 16:52   #2
Jones5962

I’ve sailed on and looked over many 105Mc cats. I would seriously suggest you check out the Tom Cat 9.7. It simply blows the gemini away on every point. And is in the same price range for a new one. I have no financial interest in TomCat but I’m saving my pennies for one now.
Ed
Old 12-01-2008, 23:16   #3
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Tomcat

I've never seen the boat but have been looking at that Tomcat brochure for a while now. I still can't figure out how you lock up the boat.

The brochure photos show the back of the salon is open by design. Actually, they call it their "Open design". It must have been designed for some very trusting folks who never get rained on or it has a bunch of add on panels that have to be stored someplace. Though panels aren't mentioned. I also think you'd have to be a contortionist to service those outboards. Their reviewer said the boat sails very well, but mentioned it had a few bugs to work out.

Does anyone know if they've sold any? I just checked yachtworld and came up empty.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 05:58   #4

Boat: 2010 Leopard 38
Everybody has different wants and needs...

For our situation the Gem won out. I like diesel over gas and it is much easier to go forward in the Gem as well... (not much walking space along the lifelines in the TC)...

The TomCat has a better finish on the interior IMO, and having the lines lead aft also makes it easier to single hand, although many Gem owners have done this on their boats as well...

Many of the other issues are pure personal preference, but given the cash to buy either new, I would still go with the Gem.

Brian
RonRicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 09:29   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
[quote=rickm505;125305]I've never seen the boat but have been looking at that Tomcat brochure for a while now. I still can't figure out how you lock up the boat.
[quote]

Welcome to TomCat Boats

go to Photo Gallery>gallery 7/closure.

I don't think I want one but hope to see one in Miami.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 12:47   #6
Jones5962

The outboard motors are mounted on vertical slides that allow raising the motors clear of the water. You could do all service right there on the stern step, but I’d probably lift one clear and work in the cockpit since there a dropped screw has a chance of recovery. So motor work is very easy. With the dedicated block and tackle setup my wife was able to lift the motors. I wouldn’t say easily, but she could do it.

The motors can lift clear of the water but Tom said that better sailing performance is had by leaving then partially submerged and inserting a piece of foam to block up the opening. This can sand to be improved upon. Best would be to raise the motors clean and insert a plug.

Also when sailing in anything other than flat smooth water you get splash from the 105Mc sonic drive. So that neat arch seat gets soaked petty quickly. The TomCat seat says dry in the same conditions.
Old 13-01-2008, 13:12   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones5962 View Post

The motors can lift clear of the water but Tom said that better sailing performance is had by leaving then partially submerged and inserting a piece of foam to block up the opening. This can sand to be improved upon. Best would be to raise the motors clean and insert a plug.

Also when sailing in anything other than flat smooth water you get splash from the 105Mc sonic drive. So that neat arch seat gets soaked petty quickly. The TomCat seat says dry in the same conditions.

1 - Strange.

2 - Interesting. First I heard of that.
Old 13-01-2008, 13:55   #8

<<<Also when sailing in anything other than flat smooth water you get splash from the 105Mc sonic drive. So that neat arch seat gets soaked petty quickly. The TomCat seat says dry in the same conditions.>>>

Can't say that I have had that happen yet on mine.. At high speeds the outdrive will touch, but I haven't been wet in the seat.. But I also try and keep mine light which may have something to do with it.

Brian
Old 13-01-2008, 14:30   #9

And as a side note, I just took a look to see why I would not be getting the splashing you do on your Gem (hammock seat).. We keep our dink on davits which covers up the lower half of the drive leg. This may be preventing the splashing that you get. (although we have sailed quite a bit with the dink on the bridge deck too)

Brian
Old 13-01-2008, 18:32   #10
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
go to Photo Gallery>gallery 7/closure.

I don't think I want one but hope to see one in Miami.
You certainly cleared that up

thanks
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 18:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
You certainly cleared that up

thanks
LOL.

I want to see them all.

I am pretty sure by the end of the second day I will have them confused though. Hence the "spread sheet" thread.

See you there?
Old 14-01-2008, 05:57   #12
Jones5962

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBri737 View Post
And as a side note, I just took a look to see why I would not be getting the splashing you do on your Gem (hammock seat).. We keep our dink on davits which covers up the lower half of the drive leg. This may be preventing the splashing that you get. (although we have sailed quite a bit with the dink on the bridge deck too)

Brian
The boat that I experienced this on didn't have a dinghy. There were 5 folks so the boat may have been setting lower, but it was empty otherwise. So maybe the drive leg was just hanging low, but I did check the pump and it did seem to be at it’s upper limit.
Old 14-01-2008, 07:19   #13

Look for a used PDQ 32 or 36. Makes the Gemini & Tomcat look like toys.
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 07:28   #14

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
I found a 40' 1991 Solaris Sunstream for a real reasonable price, well equipped, had sailed the med and the carib. So far i have only been in the lower Chesapeake bay, but she has been able to do everything I want.
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini