Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 21:38   #1

Gemini Catamarans

My wife and I are looking ahead a few years at the possibility of cruising around the world in a catamaran. The cheapest seem to be Geminis. The expensive ones like Lagoons are a bit over our price range. I am wondering if anyone has experience with Geminis and know if they are worthy of serious bluewater cruising. I've seen videos on YouTube of these cats in the ocean and they seem to do just fine. They don't seem as fancy as other cats like Lagoons but seem functional. What do you all think???
Bubblehead Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 21:43   #2

Re: Gemini Catamarans

The search feature is your friend. Lots of discussion has been had on the Gemini and what you are proposing to do with it.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 22:21   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

You may want to check out the blog The Slapdash | No Fixed Address

They just did a RTW in a Gemini; it's equipped and for sale.
Old 01-08-2012, 22:46   #4

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

We love our 02 Gemini 105Mc. It has the screecher track and I've added a nice windless with a 35 lb anchor and the dingy davit with the hammock couch.
There have been 2 Gemini 105Mc's circumnavicate, taking there time and only going when the weather is good. sv Slap Dash is one that I followed there blog and there in the process of selling to go on to an other adventure.
Have you watched the Gemini crossing the north Atlantic on
(Vimeo.com 5595748 ) with Performance Crusing' owner and his son. Some big winds and 35 ft swells on that trip from Annaplous to England.
Mr B from Australia has some interesting tales of big seas in his Gemini 105Mc.

We have plans to go crusing in a few years but for now it fits under most bridges and into a 40 ft slip and moorage is not twice as much like some catamarans.
There is a big Gemini group on Yahoo that has almost all the maintance items on video or at least good pic's which is helpfull in day to day maintance. With over 1100 105 Mc's built there everywhere and parts are avaiable.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:10   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard! I absolutely love our Gemini and find it to be the perfect cruiser for the coast, the Bahamas and the Caribbean. Personally I would get a larger cat for circumnavigation for comfort and the ability to have more provisions and gear...maybe for an extra level of safety, too. The newer Gems are certified "Ocean" and should hold up much better than the crew in nasty seas, but I think it was not built as a circumnavigator, even if a couple crazy kids managed to do so (yay, Slapdash!). Hope your dreams come together for you!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:20   #6

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I had no problems sailing mine from Fiji to Australia, About 3000 NM all up,
Not once did I feel unsafe in it.

Circumnavigation, Just pick your weather windows to avoid the really huge seas,

and get following seas, Its not pleasant sailing into the big waves and winds,

I love my Gemini, And its just the right size for two people,

Cheers,
Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 15:59   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead Vet View Post
My wife and I are looking ahead a few years at the possibility of cruising around the world in a catamaran. The cheapest seem to be Geminis. The expensive ones like Lagoons are a bit over our price range. I am wondering if anyone has experience with Geminis and know if they are worthy of serious bluewater cruising. I've seen videos on YouTube of these cats in the ocean and they seem to do just fine. They don't seem as fancy as other cats like Lagoons but seem functional. What do you all think???

I vote no for "serious blue water cruising".

Yes, Slapdash did it. (young and stu....err....strong)

Yes Tony Smith and son went to England. (Tony said "never again".)

Yes, Mr B. took it home with "no worries". (Wow!)

Coastal = fabulous. Especially FL west coast (shallow), Bahamas (shallow), Caribbean (not as shallow). All can be done in short hops. Modern weather info is really good compared to "days of the Loran" or before. (funny the spell checker on CF does not know what Loran is )

There are reasons why over 1000 have been built and only a few have done "serious blue water cruising" in them.

Get a Gem first to see how you like the lifestyle while you head south to FL, the Bahamas or even further. If you still want to go further you can get a bigger boat that will hold more "stuff" later.

It is still the best "bang for the buck" but it is also still........a boat (compromise).

Therapy
Ex - Gemini 105Mc #1044
Old 02-08-2012, 16:25   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Use search on recent threads. Not so long ago there was some discussion when one of them capsized.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...archid=3448578

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 16:32   #9

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

This comparison has been made many times. The gemini is an obvious value in catamarans, but there are reasons why. They essentially boil down to being a bit enclosed for some people's comfort, and a bit short for blue water use, and (I think) subject to slapping and pounding in higher waves.

If you find the interior space comfortable, and don't mind looking through the saloon windows while navigating, and plan to stay near coastlines or are willing to rough it a bit on the sea, they are a terrific value.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 23:32   #10

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

There is a video on youtube,

Taken from the cockpit of my Gemini,
I was crossing the Tasman Sea heading for Port Macquarie, about 40 nm off the coast, Shows how it sails across the waves. About 3 metre waves, doing about 7.5 Knots,

Tasman Sea crossing, Day 7 from Bundaberg,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 09:08   #11

Gemini 1997 - I am unable to identify the Raymarine model auto pilot: I need a belt and wheel drive replacement
Jean Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 10:19   #12

Boat: Seaward 22

I like the concept of the Gemini. However with Silette no longer making the Sonic drive, I would be concerned about replacement parts going the way of the dinosaur. A conversion to outboard would be a possibility.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 10:28   #13

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I like the concept of the Gemini. However with Silette no longer making the Sonic drive, I would be concerned about replacement parts going the way of the dinosaur. A conversion to outboard would be a possibility.
Newer Gemini's are using Small Yanmars now for power.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 11:10   #14

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Newer Gemini's are using Small Yanmars now for power.
Yep. Have you checked out how low the bridgedeck clearance is with those? The vast number out there have the sonic drive.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 12:15   #15

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
Yep. Have you checked out how low the bridgedeck clearance is with those? The vast number out there have the sonic drive.
Yes their bridge decks are low but they really aren't meant to be ocean-going in my opinion. They more honestly satisfy what most want. More space without having to drastically increase the length of the boat!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini