Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2007, 16:41   #16
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Gemini's are much less expensive, but then again different boats for different uses. Many Snowgooses' have circumnavigated, if that's your intention, that's probably the boat for you, sturdy, (heavy) and good build quality. If your intention is weekend sailing and avoiding heavy weather, the Gemini is proably a better option from a cost / comfort standpoint.

fla.sailor, I'd like to say Hi neighbor
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 17:07   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgn22
Does anyone have one? Would love to know the true opinions of owners or previous owners please. I am most interested in this cat...it looks good and is more affordable than most.
I have come across those in my searches and since I want a Manta and am sure I will not be able to afford it I am lowering my sights.

I also feel that it would be easy to burn a couple of years coastal cruising the US and the Bahamas without the need for a blue water boat.

From what I gather it is a "base" or "entry level" boat. I don't suppose it is very tough but there are a lot made and (by the way) there are a bunch in Florida for sale.

Though 16" of bridge deck clearance does not seem like much to me.

Although sailing in the Florida area for 20+ years (on and off) I have come to appreciate the ability to anchor on a grass flat were few nuisances are to be had. Trout are nice too!!

If I was ready I found a couple that look good.

If, if only etc etc.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 17:26   #18

Thanks, every little bit helps with my desition. Yes i can't spell sometimes... So what.... I just want a good boat... not a dictionary. Keep it coming, Thanks
tgn22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 07:00   #19

Boat: Gemini105M
In my view liveablity can't be beat in 34'. With the narrow beam you don't get hit with extra marina costs (the 32' PDQ is 16' beam). Shallow draft is fantastic.
delmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 06:22   #20

Boat: 2010 Leopard 38
I researched the Gemini for a couple of years before purchasing a 105MC...

The boat sails nicely, points well, is awsome for shallow water with the kickup rudders and retractable boards (I know somebody said they "trip" over the boards but PC says they should be up in heavy weather or moderate winds in the first place)

The interior is roomy for a 34' boat and the admiral loves the berth compared to our old mono. It is relatively quite under power and it is nice having the engine out of the living area for noise and heat. The LPG fridge is something I didn't think I wanted until I got it.. I LOVE IT. I can go over 2 weeks on a single tank and I am not constantly worried about how to charge the batteries.. (obviously if cruising in more remote areas, folks have either added a portable 12v fridge or have opted for the ac/dc/lpg version)

The negatives start with the interior as it is not as nice as a lot of other boats. There is also more routine maint... associated mostly with the outdrive. You can't just let it sit for months without lubing the components with a grease gun and some dry lube.. (takes all of 5 minutes and in 99% of the cases that solves the reversing issue). The steering cables also need to be lubed to prevent premature failure.

The water tank and holding tank vents also need a fix. They have a loop in them so when you overfill a tank, the pump will not prime since the fluid in the line will not allow for venting. Most owners reroute the vent lines to fix the problem. There a few other things like that, but make for a fun saturday.

Bluewater cruiser? It doesn't have the tankage, hardware etc from the factory that most would want in a bluewater cruiser and a relatively low bridge deck will slam if wieght is not kept in check, but I wouldn't think twice about the MC's overall structural integrity.. Folks sail them everywhere and I just followed one on the users group who just sailed it to Hawaii from LA and was thrilled with the boat. And of course there is the builders trip across the Atlantic via the Northern route.

In summary, the boat is perfect for Bahamas or shallow water and will take you safely much further with upgrades, but it will be hard to keep it light in doing so for longer voyaging. Some things do need upgrading, but the boat is also 25% less expensive than any other cat coming off the line which does allow you to spend the money on the parts of the boat that are most important for your style of cruising.

Brian
RonRicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 11:17   #21

Thanks, that was very informative!!, what type of motors did you get with it?
Old 17-07-2007, 17:28   #22

Gemini 105 M DL

Would anyone know what the difference is in the 105 M v.s the 105 M DL ? I've seen several listed for sale but I haven't a clue what the DL stands for...

Thanks...
mat0jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 06:21   #23

I got the standard 27hp Westerbeke.

Also. I am not sure of the difference between the "M" and "M DL" versions as I was looking strictly at the MC's.

The MC had quite a few upgrades that justified the extra cost for me. The biggest was the MC's were made in one mold which kept the weight down and added strength.

Brian
Old 18-07-2007, 18:03   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
FlyBri737

Thank you for that.

I noticed there is an owners forum. I suppose you have to be an owner to read it.....don't know.

I would hope that site would give many answers to the common problems.

I also think that having a lot of those boats "out there" would help in having more information (fixes) than many other boats.

Thanks again.

<edit>

Another question.
I am sure one needs the keels up in heavy weather so as not to tripl
Leeway is another risk vs reward argument (lee shore???)
The question is are the keels like my old Westerly Nimrod where one could gain quite a bit of "bite" by lowering the keel only a little..........say the windward one in a mess.........I am imagining no "tripping" and only "dragging" of the windward keel.
??
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 18:09   #25

The respose is great, keep it coming.. i'm planing on moving back to Fla, pehaps to get on a cat like the Gemini....more, more, more!!!!!
Old 19-07-2007, 00:47   #26

The PCI owners forum has some info that is worth while, but isn't very active.

The yahoo users group is great. Very active and lots of fixes/upgrade info. You can request to be a member with out owning a boat as I did. It was a great way to learn about the boat and to figure out which options etc I would like to have.

As far as the boards.. In light winds having the leeward board partially down makes a significant difference as does having both partially down for docking.

Brian
Old 19-07-2007, 04:14   #27
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I wonder if the "DL" stands for Drive Leg ??
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 07:13   #28

I believe that DL stands for diesel. As a Gemini owner on my 6th boat, and having chartered several cats around the Caribbean, I can say that she has been by far and away the best boat for a cruising couple that I have ever been on. Catamarans are the only boats that my wife will willingly stay on that actuall sail. We are recently back from 3 months in the Bahamas where our Gemini went where all other boats fear to tread. Geminis can float right up to the beach and sail all of the explorer marked channels that say shallow draft vessels only. Easily took 8 - 10 ft ocean waves and sailed at 9 knots genoa alone in 30 knot winds. 4 ft near shore short period waves are much worse. Saying that a recent survey of Gemini owners cruising revealed that 60% of all travel is by motor, 30% motor sailing and only 10% under sail alone. Almost no cruising boat actually tacks!! There is a big difference between cruising/travelling and pleasure/day sailing. More information if you wish.

John
marrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 07:19   #29

Thanks for the information, do you have the propane refrigerator and a single diesel?
Old 26-07-2007, 13:14   #30

Boat: Gemini Cat Hull #100
Little Gem

I currently own and live aboard a 1985 Gemini. I took several months and rebuilt the boat top to bottom.. I have to admit that as a single handler the only issue I have is when I dock the boat in tight quarters.. In fact I will drop the hook and dingy in to find a few extra hands to ensure I do not damage the boat or anyone else's.
I have had a great time on my boat since it was put back in the water sailing it from St Petersburg all the way down to the Keys, out to the Dry Tortogas and then crossing the Gulf and resting in Isla Mujeres Mexico before my next stop in Belize.
The cat is amazingly quick and if you set the boat up right you have a lot of sail options to choose from.. (The spiniker moves the boat at outrageous speeds)
Like every cat you have to learn how to sail this boat, never over sheet the boat as the sails are great at working against each other. I passed a 105 Gem in the Keys like a rocket as they had the full main, and Genoa out simply stealing wind from each other. I had my main out and 1/3 of the Genoa and was ripping by.
I have been hard aground on the boat in sand and have not done any damage but had a good learning experience and now consider my draft much more that what it actually is to avoid this in the future.
The Hull slap is quit a bit un-nerving until you figure out that you have enough speed and can cut into the seas at a different angle to avoid this unless you are a rigit straight line sailor.
If you plan on doing any serious crossing the fuel holding capability needs to be boosted, water storage and the need for a good generator or several solar panels solves the problem for me.
Weight is also a huge factor on these boats, once overloaded the boat is simply terrifying in any condition, you have to think through your weight distribution.
Anchoring can be a lot of fun too as the boats "bob" much more than a mono Hull.
The very best thing you can do to make your boat comfortable underway in the heat is to have sun shades made for all of the windows... Thank goodness I did this.
The refrigerator is a bit of a pain and I switched out to a ac/dc with better insulation as the unit is in the hottest part of the boat..
I am very happy with my little boat and know that just like a mono hull they have their good points and bad points..
Blue water sailing.. Like an Ocean crossing will never be in the cards for me at this time.
Good luck.
Go to the yahoo group for Gemini and you will see the issues with the drive legs, the steering cables and a few other issues that need to be thought out (I am currently dealing with the cable issue)
Ativa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini, gemini 105