Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2012, 21:07   #91

Boat: 1996 Seawind 1000, extended to 37 ft
Re: Gemini 105MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Would you really want to cross oceans in a Gemini?

The fella who owns Performance Cruising took a Gemini across the Atlantic for a boat show">London boat show.

"Never ever again said Tony. Just too unpleasant and really thought they were going to capsize once. "

My point is that it's a great boat but was never designed to cross oceans. I think it's darn near a perfect boat for coastal sailing and the Islands.
I've seen that quote before but it's never been referenced to any source. Is it from a magazine article? personal communication? Email? I'd like to know as Gemini (105Mc) is one of the boats that's on my list.
I've been on a Gemini but not while it was sailing. Our plans are to bum around the Caribbean for a while and move on when we get tired of a place. The goal is not to circumnavigate but I am sure we'll eventually get around. I guess we're looking for a cat that is good for live-aboard at anchor that can also do ocean passages. Tony Smith, Slapdash and Footprint have proven they can cross oceans. I know Tony was in some rough weather on the north Atlantic route and Slapdash was in some gnarly weather on passage from NZ to Fiji and they seemed to handle it fine based on the video and blog comments, respectively.
reynishl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 23:02   #92

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Are you trying to talk your self into buying a Gemini 105Mc ? If you are, get the screecher track it is worth it down wind and also the hammock couch makes the back deck feel secure to walk on and laying in the hammock is cool. We love our Gemini 105Mc
Old 03-02-2012, 19:22   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
Are you trying to talk your self into buying a Gemini 105Mc ? If you are, get the screecher track it is worth it down wind and also the hammock couch makes the back deck feel secure to walk on and laying in the hammock is cool. We love our Gemini 105Mc
The Gemini is the only cat i've seen with a screecher track. Can you comment on how you set it for various points of sail? Is the sail more of a gennaker / Code 0 / or asymmetric?
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 20:50   #94

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave777 View Post
The Gemini is the only cat i've seen with a screecher track. Can you comment on how you set it for various points of sail? Is the sail more of a gennaker / Code 0 / or asymmetric?

The screecher is a 200% over 422 sq ft much like a Code 0 that the tack is movable to the up wind hull from the cockpit to better catch the breeze and can be adjusted and deployed and rolled up from the helm single handed and can be sailed quartering off or down wind. The sail looking foward has a nice arch for great visiability. The std jib is a 150 gennaker sail. Either sail can be sailed wing and wing with the main sail, although in light air we are planning on getting a whisker pole to hold the sail out in waves.
Old 13-03-2012, 00:31   #95

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Anybody shipped a Gemini overseas? I'm wondering what shipping cost would be from the US East Coast to Thailand. Seems their size and dimensions might make them a bit cheaper than say a similar size monohull or more standard width cat. I think it might be the perfect boat for the Andaman Sea and Pang Nga Bay.
Old 15-03-2012, 19:01   #96

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Seth and Jamie of Slapdash had their Gemini shipped from Asia to the Middle East to avoid pirates. I cant remember if they discussed cost, but there is a lengthy description of it on their blog.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 19:23   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
Seth and Jamie of Slapdash had their Gemini shipped from Asia to the Middle East to avoid pirates. I cant remember if they discussed cost, but there is a lengthy description of it on their blog.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 15-03-2012, 20:43   #98

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Anybody shipped a Gemini overseas? I'm wondering what shipping cost would be from the US East Coast to Thailand. Seems their size and dimensions might make them a bit cheaper than say a similar size monohull or more standard width cat. I think it might be the perfect boat for the Andaman Sea and Pang Nga Bay.
Iit would probably work out cheaper to just buy a local cat on Langkawi.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 20:52   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Iit would probably work out cheaper to just buy a local cat on Langkawi.
True, but I'm thinking of something that I can use for a couple years around Florida, the ICW, the Bahamas and the Caribbean and then ship to Thailand. Plus I haven't seen any cats that compare with a Gemini in size and costs in Langkawi. Not saying there aren't any and I'm keeping my eyes open, but cats tend to be expensive in this area compared to the US and the Caribbean, especially Gemini's.

One other thing ... the Gemini will fit in a normal slip so I could save some on slip fees.
Old 16-03-2012, 00:50   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

A quick Google found more than a few cats listed by a Langkawi broker.

If you adjust the price of any US cat and allow for the small size of the local market the prices could be competitive.

Coals to Newcastle?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 01:38   #101

O.K., I'm just guessing somewhere around $30K for the shipping. Bill & Judy on s/vBeBe shipped their 54' Amel from the Maldives to Turkey for something less than $34K so I can't be too far off. And I just looked on YW and counted 26 Gemini's age 2001-2009 and in the $100-$150K price range. So, I'm thinking I should be able to get one for say $120K + $30K shipping. That's $150K for a cat that's less than 10 years old. I don't see anything comparable in that Langkawi listing.
Old 16-03-2012, 02:59   #102

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I only have a Genoa on my Gem, No poles,

Works terrific, A lot of times I only used the Genoa and no main, There was no difference in my speed, using one or both, So I left the main down,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 15:42   #103

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
True, but I'm thinking of something that I can use for a couple years around Florida, the ICW, the Bahamas and the Caribbean and then ship to Thailand. Plus I haven't seen any cats that compare with a Gemini in size and costs in Langkawi. Not saying there aren't any and I'm keeping my eyes open, but cats tend to be expensive in this area compared to the US and the Caribbean, especially Gemini's.

One other thing ... the Gemini will fit in a normal slip so I could save some on slip fees.

Wow, Doodles, brilliant idea! I have to say I am greatly impressed with how your mind works. Just so happens I have the same plan. Every detail, exactly. I'm about a year away. Maybe we can get a group discount on the shipping rate. Good luck. Would like to stay in touch on this!

Ty
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 16:50   #104

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

From San Diego to OZ, it was going to cost me $124,000-00 AUD to ship a Gemini,

Included everything, duty Gst shipping insurance customs Aqis Bond trucking Etc Etc,

plus the cost of the vessel on top of it,

Even tho mine got wrecked on a beach, I never felt unsafe in my Gemini at any time sailing it across 3 oceans getting it here,

The worst ocean was definately the Tasman,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 17:06   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
From San Diego to OZ, it was going to cost me $124,000-00 AUD to ship a Gemini,

Included everything, duty Gst shipping insurance customs Aqis Bond trucking Etc Etc,

plus the cost of the vessel on top of it,

Even tho mine got wrecked on a beach, I never felt unsafe in my Gemini at any time sailing it across 3 oceans getting it here,

The worst ocean was definately the Tasman,
WOW ... that makes my day!

Tags
gemini, gemini 105