Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2007, 05:43   #1

Gemini 105MC

Does anyone have one? Would love to know the true opinions of owners or previous owners please. I am most interested in this cat...it looks good and is more affordable than most.
tgn22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 14:39   #2
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I'm not sure what you'd like to know about these boats. My buddy owns the previous model and I dock next to him, so I thought I'd voice my opinion.

On the plus side they are one of the best selling cats made if not the best seller and there are a lot of them around. It's a good boat for knocking around Florida or the Bahamas. They are fast, roomy and stable.

It's not an ocean cruiser. They are known for tripping on their boards, but it's the risk you run for buying a Cat that points pretty well for a catamaran. It just means you have to pay attention.

There have been some build quality stories passed on but no more than any other boat.

I can't think of anything else this second. If no one else chimes in this thread email me and I'll answer questions that I can for you.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 15:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
The early models where all designed and built as coastal cruisers and even Tony Smith did not recommend using them as blue water passagemakers. It has been some time since I looked at these boats but I thought the 105 was built for open water. I have been aboard two of the 105's a while back and if I was looking for a new or used 35 ft cat in the 90-150k range it would be near the top of the list. I would talk to Tony Smith about it's true ability as a blue water boat if that was your intention.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 16:36   #4
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Toni and his son did sail one to England right after the model change to promote the boat. Unofficially, it was said that he would never do that again. They got bounced around pretty good.

My boat was sailed to Florida from England. I just shake my head when I think about it as whomever did it must have had a death wish.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 18:08   #5

Thanks for the replys, i am more interested in this boat as a dead reckoning vessel, not so much for blue water. Plan on being in site of land predominantly. As a scuba instuctor/regulator repair tech, i'm looking for business within a controlled district, somewhere in the carribean. Keep those opinions coming!!....or offer an alternative to sometime even better for the money. Thanks
Old 25-06-2007, 18:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
How about a PDQ 36. I think there are a couple of owners on this site.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 07:01   #7

Boat: 52' BeauBien Catamaran
I owned and sailed a 105m on Puget Sound for a number of years. It was a very good boat for coastal cruising. I also sailed a 105mc recently and they have definitely improved the boat. I'm not sure about the cockpit enclosures, but the screacher track across the bows is nice, the interior feels a bit more open, and the instruments are greatly improved.

The nice things about the Gemini are it has quite a bit of interior space (queen sized bunk in master) and still fits in standard slips. It points fairly well due to the dual centerboards. It is nice to have the engine out of the hulls and avoid the associated smells and noise.

Drawbacks include a bit less easy to manuever in tight quarters with a single engine on the centerline (have to keep centerboards down for marina handling). The Stilette drive leg is kind of a pain. I had a couple of occasions where it popped out of the locked position going into reverse and it was a drill to get it back into forward, locked, and into reverse again before hitting the dock. I eventually rigged a 'preventer' line from the drive leg up under the bridgedeck to the bow to ease this worry.
allnunstoport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 17:48   #8

Thanks for the replys. I heard that the gas refrig/110 shore power set up is questionable. what do you think?
Old 27-06-2007, 12:17   #9

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rust
How about a PDQ 36. I think there are a couple of owners on this site.
I second that, having just sold our PDQ and being somewhat sad to see it go because of what a great boat it was. We moved into a larger cat and will miss the PDQ, especially for the ease of handling and maintenance. I feel the PDQ's hold up far better than the Gemini's. There are many PDQ's out there used as liveaboards/cruisers in the US and caribbean.

Check out the PDQ's, with Two queensize beds and another stateroom that can be used as a pantry, workshop or office you may find it is the right boat.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:34   #10

Boat: Gemini105M
Just completed a delivery trip of our 1996 105M from Sandy Hook to Lake Erie. I did alot of research regarding older 105's and decided that I didn't want to deal with the Sillette drive leg (I found it was the #1 complaint regarding the Gemini's). I found one of the few 105's with twin ob's, 2 x Evinrude 4-stroke 9.9's. I am pleased to say that after over 500 miles, all motoring, I am glad I went this route. I only ran on 1 engine, about 3/4 throttle (my tach wasn't working), pushed us along at about 5-1/2Kts, could run about 10hrs on roughly 4 gals of gas.
delmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:59   #11

Lightbulb

Thanks for the reply. I am amazed that you got that kind of mileage on a four stroke! I have been looking only at models with diesels... this opens up new possibilities. I have seen alot with twin Yamahas, suppose they should perform just as well? How about the livability? Do you like the layout for comfort, etc?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:59   #12

Boat: gemini 3200
gemini

I just bought a '91, 3200 gemini and for the money, its a lot of boat. Ya, the PDQs have better fit and finish, but for FL water and standard slip size, the gems have a lot going for them! We sure don't miss our cramped 33' "leaner".

-dennis
titusville, fl
fla.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 14:52   #13

I am looking at Gemini's, Snowgoose and the PDQ's. I am trying to do my research but struggling a little. Can anyone offer a short concise comparison between the 3? (I know that is not easy to do but appreciate the effort!)
I have spent the last two years working as the charter skipper on the Radical Bay 8000's (Coco Blues and China House) in Koh Samui Thailand......(schionning design) and also sailing a Wharram tiki. Looking for something a little more comfortable!
aldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 15:06   #14

To throw my 2 cents in (really only 1.5 cents max I think), I've looked a decent amount into the Gemini / PDQs.

Geminis have a lower bridgedeck, so you end up with more pounding. As someone mentioned, if you're in deep bluewater, I'd be hesitant about their build quality. The way the builder talked about the boat at the boatshow when I talked to him, I got the impression he didn't want to condone using it in deep bluewater.

If you're talking about a small area in the Carib, you're probably not too worried about heavy seas in the middle of the Atlantic, so that shouldn't be an issue. PDQ will probably hold up it's value for longer (resale value that is), as they're still in high demand and not being made any longer.

You can get a new Gemini for the price of a used PDQ (at least last I looked, around $160k?). Of course that greatly varies on what you add to the Gemini, and the condition of the PDQ (and if it's the 32 or 36). Some people would put value on being a "new" owner.
ceberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 22:43   #15

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiver
I am looking at Gemini's, Snowgoose and the PDQ's. I am trying to do my research but struggling a little. Can anyone offer a short concise comparison between the 3? (I know that is not easy to do but appreciate the effort!)
I have spent the last two years working as the charter skipper on the Radical Bay 8000's (Coco Blues and China House) in Koh Samui Thailand......(schionning design) and also sailing a Wharram tiki. Looking for something a little more comfortable!
Living in Thailand you have lots of cheap labour available to build so why not a larger Schioning.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini, gemini 105