Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2007, 14:05   #31

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Ativa and Marrack.

Thanks for the info.

I will read any you want to write up.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 13:38   #32

It appears most of the Gemini 105's have Westerbeke diesels. What is the average fuel consumption during normal motoring? Are there any particular areas to look at for reoccuring problems? TIA
worldkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 14:10   #33

Boat: 2010 Leopard 38
Assuming that it isn't overloaded and clean bottom etc, at 6.5kts you should see about .6 gallons an hour.

The biggest issues that seem to pop up under the owners forum have to do with the outdrive and holding tank odor, at least on the later models.

The issues with the outdrive, in 99% of the cases can be cured with proper routine maint and lubrication. The previous owners of my boat did nothing to it and the outdrive wouldn't stay lockedin reverse etc.. Once brought up to specs, it works perfectly now...

Holding tank smell.. There have been many different fixes for the boats that have odors. Many have resealed the inspection port on the tank, or added a larger air vent hose which has cured their issues.. Others have just switched to compositing toilets which seem to be getting rave reviews.

Older models have had issues with delamination of the centerboards/rudders etc, but I am not up to speed on those pre 2001 models.
RonRicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 16:10   #34

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBri737
Once brought up to specs, it works perfectly now...

Older models have had issues with delamination of the centerboards/rudders etc, but I am not up to speed on those pre 2001 models.
At 9600lbs from the factory.............just how much weight can be added till it is "not good"

I am aware of increments but would like an estimate because all the extra tanks, solar panels, dingy, etc etc add up fast. I saw nothing on the site about loading and it is a very important factor in plunking down some serious change!!

60% motor Why do they have masts at all??
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 15:55   #35

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
Anyone know the history of "Wind Spirit" lying in Adventura in S. Florida?

I just put in an offer on Wind Spirit, a 105 owner's version. She is in poor/"restorable" condition. I'm looking for someone to share her that wants a hobby, some very inexpensive sailing, and lives in South Florida.

I'll take possession for about $45k including tax - but she needs lots of work.

BTW, I've sailed Gemini, Snow Goose, and PDQ so here is 2 cents worth.

The Snow Goose is the worst boat I've ever been on - wallows, won't tack, slow, and kind of a pig on good days. Only suitable for dock side parties in calm water. Even at the dock, she is uncomfortable to sleep on.

The PDQ is a good boat - I put a deposit on one early in the production - but the factory returned it when the price climbed during my build times and they could get more money from another owner. That said, I enjoy sailing the boat - love the space - but don't really like the inboard mounting - I've just learned to like outboards since my sailing tastes have dropped from 1200 hours/year to a more reasonable amount of trying to get someplace on time. If I could afford a PDQ, I might would consider one favorably.

Gemini: My current dream - after having sold a Voyage 43 that was world cruising equipped, I'm ready for simple. Gemini is the most numerous boat (by 2 or 3 times) in the Bahamas - many in every anchorage and every owner likes theirs. The boat serves 6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner, and two to sleep. If that fits your life, why carry around and pay for 3 or 4 extra bunks. She is small, sails quite well with the boards down, and maneuvers ok (just) in tight spaces under motor. Sure she doesn't turn on a time like my old boat with 2 engines 21' apart - but she fits into a standard slip and has a main that can be hoisted by hand (my old boat was double blocked and had a 52 electric winch as a hoist).

It is nice to anchor, doesn't have much windage and slaps rather than pounds - the difference is the Gemini has a constant din of noise at speed, my Voyage had a maybe 1-2 times per hour slam in 12' or more seas.

Now, you say, what would the Gemini do in 12' seas - no idea, I won't be in those seas under full sail if I can help it -- but the seas were peaking at 40' when I left Cape Town in my Voyage.

So, take your choice - if you plan to sail the Bahamas and the Caribbean, you will only have 3 or 4 overnight passages to get to Trinidad - the Gemini will do that fine. If the South Atlantic is your choice - ship your Gemini, Prout, or PDQ - they won't survive the crossing in comfort and safety.

Cheers - looking for a partner - /Stu
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 17:36   #36
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
We sure don't miss our cramped 33' "leaner".
Uh, what brand was yer cramped 33' "leaner"..?

(I got one of those, but are quite happy...so far anyway)

Mr FlyBri737: Glad to see ya enjoy the Gemini and hat off to ya for researching and putting yer money where the mouth is.

You are probably right that yer new ship makes a perfect Florida/Bahamas cruising rig.

See ya over there...
Old 31-10-2007, 07:41   #37

Although the Gemini doesn't come from the factory set up for blue water, if properly outfitted it can take you a long way...

A post from the Gemini users group

<
Is the Gemini an "ocean going" vessel? I don't know about the one your looking
at, but the one I purchased new in 2001, sail number 716 recently carried me
from Long Beach, CA to Hilo, HI (2200 hundred miles). After a 4 day lay over
continued on from Hilo to Kwajalein Atoll, another 2200 hundred miles southwest
of Hilo.

All miles were covered with no major problems. Had 3 days of 30 knot winds,
one day wind gusts to 60 knots. Two mistakes made #1 not polishing fuel before
leaving, #2 not having enough spare Racor elements on board before leaving.
Spare element problem resolved in Hilo, thanks to NAPA autoparts in Hilo. Oh
yes, mistake #3, not having a gaff to assist in landing those large mahi mahi
that lay between Hilo and Kwaj.>>>
Old 31-10-2007, 08:26   #38
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Would you really want to cross oceans in a Gemini?

The fella who owns Performance Cruising took a Gemini across the Atlantic for a London boat show.

"Never ever again said Tony. Just too unpleasant and really thought they were going to capsize once. "

My point is that it's a great boat but was never designed to cross oceans. I think it's darn near a perfect boat for coastal sailing and the Islands.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 08:50   #39

I guess it depends on which ocean anbd when.

I not sure that I would WANT to take any boat on the northern route when Tony S. did for his crossing.. I also read his complete log of the journey and he doesn't mention the fear of capsize etc, although he may have told you that in person.

Would I cross oceans in it? Absolutely. Do I want to round Cape Horn in a gale? No, but I wouldn't WANT to do that in a CSY 44 either.

I have kept up with more than one Gemini's accounts of crossing oceans safely, and they were pleased with the boat and how things went

Yes there are better choices for a circumnavigator, but that doesn't mean that you can't do what others have done and put 2000mi under the hulls in one shot either.

Brian
Old 31-10-2007, 08:51   #40

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
It's an ideal Bahamas boat if you can put up with the slamming when it blows. Most Gemenis anchor close enough in to avoid this if shelter is available. One anchored near me at Black Point during a front and boy, did it ever slam. Lots of them down there.
Old 31-10-2007, 09:15   #41

<<<It's an ideal Bahamas boat if you can put up with the slamming when it blows. Most Gemenis anchor close enough in to avoid this if shelter is available. One anchored near me at Black Point during a front and boy, did it ever slam. Lots of them down there.>>>

The older Gems especailly had the slamming issue.. Although we haven't been anchored in 40+kts, we have in 25-30kts down in the Keys and have not had slamming at anchor (uderway at certain points of sail, yes

We do use a bridle and use it to keep us facing the chop if it varies from the wind...

And.. I didn't mean to start a huge debate on this boat.. I was just pointing out that folks do take it on some very long legs... I know it isn't for everybody.

Brian
(I don't want to turn this into one of those "which anchor" battles!)
Old 31-10-2007, 09:26   #42

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Brian,

This was a brand new one three years ago. It might have been blowing 30 knots but there was no shelter and quite a fetch. Enough so that the bridge deck was slamming. It's the only time I've heard it but I had to go on deck to see what was making this noise.
Old 31-10-2007, 11:26   #43

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
Visit: https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gemini_Cats/

Does anyone have one? Would love to know the true opinions of owners or previous owners please. I am most interested in this cat...it looks good and is more affordable than most.

Over 1000 Gemini Catamarans have been built - most are still on the water. The Gemini owners forum is very vocal, quite friendly, and very, very helpful. Visit:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gemini_Cats/

and ask your questions - or read the archives and get the accumulated knowledge of the group.

/Stu
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 13:17   #44
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
My marina mate has one, and he also has problems with slamming. His boat is an older model and it might be something they've corrected with the 105 MC
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 08:33   #45
ely

Lightbulb hi, what is your (105) location ? I could be intrested

Hello, I am looking for a 34-36 cat from Gemini to PDQ36, partnership could be a good idea, I am technically incline, if not too late, (you may have a partner already) let me know, please advise your/105 location , I am temporarily located now in Gainesville
cheers
ely

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
Anyone know the history of "Wind Spirit" lying in Adventura in S. Florida?

I just put in an offer on Wind Spirit, a 105 owner's version. She is in poor/"restorable" condition. I'm looking for someone to share her that wants a hobby, some very inexpensive sailing, and lives in South Florida.

I'll take possession for about $45k including tax - but she needs lots of work.

BTW, I've sailed Gemini, Snow Goose, and PDQ so here is 2 cents worth.

The Snow Goose is the worst boat I've ever been on - wallows, won't tack, slow, and kind of a pig on good days. Only suitable for dock side parties in calm water. Even at the dock, she is uncomfortable to sleep on.

The PDQ is a good boat - I put a deposit on one early in the production - but the factory returned it when the price climbed during my build times and they could get more money from another owner. That said, I enjoy sailing the boat - love the space - but don't really like the inboard mounting - I've just learned to like outboards since my sailing tastes have dropped from 1200 hours/year to a more reasonable amount of trying to get someplace on time. If I could afford a PDQ, I might would consider one favorably.

Gemini: My current dream - after having sold a Voyage 43 that was world cruising equipped, I'm ready for simple. Gemini is the most numerous boat (by 2 or 3 times) in the Bahamas - many in every anchorage and every owner likes theirs. The boat serves 6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner, and two to sleep. If that fits your life, why carry around and pay for 3 or 4 extra bunks. She is small, sails quite well with the boards down, and maneuvers ok (just) in tight spaces under motor. Sure she doesn't turn on a time like my old boat with 2 engines 21' apart - but she fits into a standard slip and has a main that can be hoisted by hand (my old boat was double blocked and had a 52 electric winch as a hoist).

It is nice to anchor, doesn't have much windage and slaps rather than pounds - the difference is the Gemini has a constant din of noise at speed, my Voyage had a maybe 1-2 times per hour slam in 12' or more seas.

Now, you say, what would the Gemini do in 12' seas - no idea, I won't be in those seas under full sail if I can help it -- but the seas were peaking at 40' when I left Cape Town in my Voyage.

So, take your choice - if you plan to sail the Bahamas and the Caribbean, you will only have 3 or 4 overnight passages to get to Trinidad - the Gemini will do that fine. If the South Atlantic is your choice - ship your Gemini, Prout, or PDQ - they won't survive the crossing in comfort and safety.

Cheers - looking for a partner - /Stu
ely is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini, gemini 105