Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2012, 11:03   #106
Registered User
 
ty.gregory's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Panama City, Panama
Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Posts: 422
Re: Gemini 105MC

Well, Doodles, I understand that a Wharrams can be taken apart and shipped by crate.
__________________

__________________
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 17:55   #107
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Gemini 105MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
Well, Doodles, I understand that a Wharrams can be taken apart and shipped by crate.
Love the Wharrams and his ideas but at this stage in my life I need a few more creature comforts.
__________________

__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 21:53   #108
Registered User
 
ty.gregory's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Panama City, Panama
Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Posts: 422
Re: Gemini 105MC

Once again, I'm with you. The big Wharrams are too big for me, the others too small, but they are all hard not to admire.
__________________
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 00:53   #109
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Images: 1
Re: Gemini 105MC

tgn22

I have owned hull #942 since 2006.
In that price range you will not find a boat that is a better value or sails better. Lots of form & fit issues not found on expensive boats but if you are a relatively good do-it-yourselfer, you can fix those.
I have sailed her across the Gulf from Key West to Pensacola and never once felt unsafe. I have had her at over 20 kts with rooster tails coming off the sterns - in 40 knot winds heavily reefed and never felt unsafe.
We purchased a demo in Stuart Fl and sailed her to Hollywood in 15 ft seas with no incidents. We're not super experienced sailors either.
Lots of fiberglass anomalies, hard to find wiring & plumbing paths-due to construction methods and would appreciate more motor occasionally.
Other than that it is likely the best beginner cruiser available.
Keep it as light as possible. Keep it balanced (the Starboard hull seems to always be lighter). And reef early in big weather. It does really well with 30+kts reefed. Lowers the COG and it is so light that I've almost lifted a hull. On the comfort side, if you are more than 5 deg. off horizontal, you are probably making 12 kts or better. Set your coffee down and if seas aren't too rough, it will be there when you get back.
Don't know about the Hunter boats but mine is great. The only other mfr I would choose over Gemini would be Fusion Kits and they are over 300k all complete. The daggerboards are the secret.
Best of luck!
Greg
__________________
Seahawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 11:38   #110
Registered User
 
webejammin's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pacific NW, sailing the Columbia River, USA
Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Posts: 951
Images: 3
Re: Gemini 105MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk12 View Post
tgn22

I have owned hull #942 since 2006.
In that price range you will not find a boat that is a better value or sails better. Lots of form & fit issues not found on expensive boats but if you are a relatively good do-it-yourselfer, you can fix those.
I have sailed her across the Gulf from Key West to Pensacola and never once felt unsafe. I have had her at over 20 kts with rooster tails coming off the sterns - in 40 knot winds heavily reefed and never felt unsafe.
We purchased a demo in Stuart Fl and sailed her to Hollywood in 15 ft seas with no incidents. We're not super experienced sailors either.
Lots of fiberglass anomalies, hard to find wiring & plumbing paths-due to construction methods and would appreciate more motor occasionally.
Other than that it is likely the best beginner cruiser available.
Keep it as light as possible. Keep it balanced (the Starboard hull seems to always be lighter). And reef early in big weather. It does really well with 30+kts reefed. Lowers the COG and it is so light that I've almost lifted a hull. On the comfort side, if you are more than 5 deg. off horizontal, you are probably making 12 kts or better. Set your coffee down and if seas aren't too rough, it will be there when you get back.
Don't know about the Hunter boats but mine is great. The only other mfr I would choose over Gemini would be Fusion Kits and they are over 300k all complete. The daggerboards are the secret.
Best of luck!
Greg
Nice to hear another happy Gemini 105Mc . Ours is hull #753 with the optional screecher on the track, great in light air. We love having 2 head sails on roller furrler.
__________________
Wind in my hair and a nice catamaran
Phil & Elaine
webejammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 13:42   #111
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,616
Re: Gemini 105MC

With Hull 825 I am nearly dead in the middle of you two,
And I love mine,

I can do a lot of repairs and fixing and other goodies for the difference between $150,000 and $300.000 which the bigger Cats cost,
__________________
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 21:46   #112
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Posts: 4
Re: Gemini 105MC

Hi,

These are great boats. We have been sailing on ours for 10 seasons. Its a lot of fun, easy to maintain for the most part.

They have a few quirks but these are often overcome and were trade offs during the evolution of the boat. There is a very active Geminicats group on yahoo for people who are interested.

I have a youtube page where I put up a bunch of video's of sailing on our Gemini, repairing it, improving it etc. It can be found on youtube and is called waltsailing2009. If you are interested in seeing videos of the Gemini sailing, and various repairs, improvements here they can be found! there are a lot of other pages out there from owners and previous owners. People do sail these all over the place.

http://www.youtube.com/user/waltsailing2009

Regards,
Walt,
La Dolce Vita,
Gemini 105Mc #817
__________________
waltsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 09:19   #113
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3
Send a message via Skype™ to richappen
Re: Gemini 105MC

I am interested in the Gemini Catamaran.
I Live in the Fort Pierce area.
I have done the partnership program with a Hunter 35.5 which worked out very well.
I am interested if the boat can be located reasonably close to me.

My name is Rich; tel: 772-643-6263

Thanks
__________________
richappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 10:14   #114
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,616
Re: Gemini 105MC

Try the video on you tube, Crossing the Tasman, That was in a Gemini 105MC,
__________________
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 17:04   #115
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: Gemini 105MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by richappen View Post
I have done the partnership program with a Hunter 35.5 which worked out very well.


My name is Rich; tel: 772-643-6263

Thanks
What is that program?

P.S. Probably not a good idea to put your phone number where a bot could get to it. Maybe a mod could help you get it off.
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 19:18   #116
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3
Send a message via Skype™ to richappen
Re: Gemini 105MC

What is a bot?
Magic jack number so not real;
Thanks the concern though.

Rich
__________________
richappen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 16:15   #117
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: Gemini 105MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by richappen View Post
What is a bot?
Magic jack number so not real;
Thanks the concern though.

Rich
Bot Definition

Internet bot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did not know Magicjack numbers were not real. I mean, how can that work?
__________________

__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gemini, gemini 105

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-purchase survey Gemini 105Mc sopwith camel Multihull Sailboats 19 19-05-2017 14:43
Liveaboard Gemini 105mc for 5 to 6 Months? videorov Multihull Sailboats 17 21-09-2012 18:55
Ready to Buy Gemini 105mc bryguy67 Meets & Greets 3 19-06-2009 11:42
Gemini 105Mc Performance Cabrinha Multihull Sailboats 4 03-01-2008 04:15



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:45.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.