Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-06-2015, 11:09   #1

Boat: Gemini 105MC
Gemini 105 enclosure

Hi all,
I'm a new owner of 2011 Gemini 105MC and I'm looking at getting a cockpit enclosure for it since this boat never had one.

Has anyone had this done? I'm not sure if I should just contact a canvas company or if this is an OEM product that you can get from Gemini. I think (but not sure) that there has to be some sort of frame made to go with the enclosure.
I would like to have it mostly made of isinglass. Bug screen would be good but not essential.

Old 26-06-2015, 11:45   #2

Boat: gone boatless
Re: Gemini 105 enclosure

Salty:
If I were you, I would joint the Gemini group at yahoo. I'm sure there are pics in the archives, and maybe some owners would send you pics of their boat for a good canvas shop to follow. The shop Performance Cruising used in MD is long gone.
I had all the parts to install one on my boat, but shifted gears and sold it off a couple of years ago. I decided it would be in the way too much to be worthwhile.
Maybe your canvas shop will have a better idea.
Good Luck!

Old 26-06-2015, 11:47   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

If your cockpit has SS tubes from the rear corners of the hardtop, plus two more from the back, installing snaps and slides should be all you'd need for the standard panels to work (isinglass and/or screens). I would guess that they still sell the enclosures.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 11:53   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Whoops...didn't mean to post yet...

Otherwise, The Gemini Owners Yahoo Group has a few posts from others who have configured something.

We absolutely love the isinglass and use it very often. It's like a sunroom when it's sunny and cold. We were cruising down the ICW in our shorts while poor sailors in open cockpits wore foulies, scarves, and wool hats. They are also great when it's raining or windy...often I'd just put up one side to block the wind or rain.

We like the screens, too, but we probably have used them just half a dozen times.
Old 26-06-2015, 21:19   #5

I should mention the boat will be kept in the North Channel and I'll be doing weekends and a few weeks in the summer.
I think what WG said applies to me as well. I could use the enclosure to extend my boating season with the additional heat since we have many sunny cool days in the fall and in the spring the bugs can be pretty bad at night in a nice quiet anchorage common around here.

I would rather have someone else do all the work so I'll start looking around for a marina and canvas place with that service within a couple of days sailing. If anyone has any recommendations or experience I could get to any marina within Georgian Bay.

I'll check the Yahoo group. There is also an owners group with a paid subscription I may check out.
Old 26-06-2015, 22:20   #6

Be sure to spend a few bucks extra to use strata glass not the isinglass, also insist on tanera thread...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-06-2015, 20:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
If your cockpit has SS tubes from the rear corners of the hardtop, plus two more from the back, installing snaps and slides should be all you'd need for the standard panels to work (isinglass and/or screens). I would guess that they still sell the enclosures.
From the corners yes, but none from the back as you can see in this picture:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit enclosure.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	104357

So strata glass is worth the extra cost?
Old 29-06-2015, 04:09   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Yes, I think you would need to install the two other SS tube sections. There's also a cross section between those two about midway up, but we removed it with no functional issues – panels work fine without it.
Old 29-06-2015, 05:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
Yes, I think you would need to install the two other SS tube sections. There's also a cross section between those two about midway up, but we removed it with no functional issues panels work fine without it.
Thanks for the tip. I think the cross section would get in the way when the enclosure is not up.
Old 28-09-2017, 16:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyB View Post
I should mention the boat will be kept in the North Channel and I'll be doing weekends and a few weeks in the summer.
I think what WG said applies to me as well. I could use the enclosure to extend my boating season with the additional heat since we have many sunny cool days in the fall and in the spring the bugs can be pretty bad at night in a nice quiet anchorage common around here.

I would rather have someone else do all the work so I'll start looking around for a marina and canvas place with that service within a couple of days sailing. If anyone has any recommendations or experience I could get to any marina within Georgian Bay.

I'll check the Yahoo group. There is also an owners group with a paid subscription I may check out.
Definitely shop,because I have a 2005 & where I am going down south the screen is the only thing needed & was told by a couple different owners that they never use the isinglass part because of the greenhouse effect, but I suppose that if the boat was up north it would be a great benefit! maybe you could do some advertising and some of the people down south might want to sell theirs because they don't use it, just a thought anyway. I mention this because I was shopping for one until after I spoke with a few people about where I was actually going and decided against it, but I still like the screen idea.

Tags
enc, gemini, gemini 105

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: