Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 18:55   #1

GBE sportsdeck

Hi there was wondering if anybody has had any experience with these boats GBE i dont mind the layout for a weekender and as day sailor was wondering more about how they sail want something with a bit of go but not to flighty as not real experienced sailor last boat was a motor sailor and pretty simple want to step up in performance but needs to be safe for family cruising etc thanks for any replys Rob
roboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 19:51   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
I think they are too expensive for what they are and they dont sail very well at all.

In their original format as 2 hulls with net in between and a large sail plan they were great fun.

You can get a much better boat IMHO in the second hand market if looking at epoxy composite/timber cored boats

Dave
Old 09-03-2009, 06:07   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I have a slightly less negative view on the GBE to Dave, it really all depends what you are going to do and what you are going to pay. The few GBEs I have seen lately have been too expensive - particularly Queenslander. There is a parallax 9 on the market in Sydney, get that at the right price and I reckon you get a better boat that the GBE to be honest.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 15:34   #4

Boat: Spirited 380 Catamaran
The original GBE was designed by the late Malcolm Tennent as a fast day sailer/ weekender with minimal accommodation in each hull and weighing less than 1,000kg. I used to own the hull moulds for the GBE, but sold them about 18 months ago.
The Sportsdeck was the same hull, but extended one foot, and with a bridgedeck, double berths and a small open cabin, weight increased to about 2,500kg and the rig reduced in size. As a result the once sporty cat became a lot slower and sitting lower in the water as most owners started to fill the it with fridges, water tanks and all other bits of cruising equipment, all in a hull that was not designed for these loads.
I believe they were all built with polyesther resign below the waterline and a lot have had osmosis problems, my son who is a boat builder has been involved in repairing damage to GBE Sportdecks.
I have raced against 'Queenslander', the first Sportdeck built, and have raced on other Sportdecks built since, but found them a bit slow.
spiritcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
But they do fill a vacant niche in the spectrum of cruising cats. I too thought they were too heavy and over-priced, but there were 21 different molded pieces to bring together and fair. It was very labor intensive to build, and still didn't have a balanced rudder. If the build could be simplified and resin-infused, with a rudder like the Moxie 37, it could find a place in todays market at something under $130K US FOB. I understand the molds burned down.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 15:36   #6

Yes, unfortunatly the moulds were destroyed in a fire along with a larger version of the Sportdeck that was being developed by Express Multihulls. When Queenslander was originally launched, I raced against it in a Farrier F24, and it was reasonably quick, but I believe later boats got a bit heavier.
A friend of mine presently owns a Sportdeck and is trying to sell it after repairing the osmosis. I sailed a couple of races with him, but unless it was blowing 15 - 20 knots, it was very slow and heavy in the water.
Old 10-03-2009, 16:04   #7

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritcat View Post
When Queenslander was originally launched, I raced against it in a Farrier F24, and it was reasonably quick
Geez, I believe they are very kind words.

Reasonably quick compared to what?

Not an F24 thats for sure

And not compared to my supposedly slow 9 metre Simpson cruising cat of cedar ply epoxy.

Like I say, GBE's are a great boat in the original format, but were never intended to be a bridgedeck cruiser.

They did bring out a canterlevered cabin model like a smaller XL2, but that still had alloy beams and nets and was not meant for load carrying, but a cupla cartons of bellywash, some cold chooks in the esky and disposable gas stove made them a sensational and logical next step up from a Seawind 24.

IMHO the GBE sportdeck would have been much better boat if using the Turissmo 9 hulls.

Dave
Old 10-03-2009, 16:16   #8

Queenslander had only just been launched when we were in the same race and as such did not have a lot of the additional extras that later models had and may have had a larger rig as well. Against an F24, there was no chance, but it did perform well compared to a lot of other yachts at that time, if the wind was blowing.
Having owned and built the original GBE design, they would give an F24 a run for their money with the right crew.
The Turissmo would have been a better hull and there were a few Turissmos built with a cantalevered double berth similar to the Sportdeck.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:34   #9

There happens to be one currently for sale in the US (St. Augustine, FL) that can be found in Yachtworld.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote