Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2007, 09:44   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Galley down:
1. More working room for the cook(s) and clean up crew and storage compared to galley up.
2. Great ventilation and good view.
3. Still feels like part of the saloon since from low chest level up it fully open to saloon without non-galley crew getting in the way.
4. Very easy to move things back and forth from galley to saloon and into cockpit without going up and down steps.
5. Guest cabin far forward so not bothered and does not bother galley.
6. Granted can't do watch from galley but I don't believe an adequate watch can be done from the saloon either.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 09:47   #17

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
we've had a couple cats, both galley down (our beam 23' 8"). Vastly prefer it as it makes cooking much easier. Much more counterspace when working (8 ft of counterspace) for preparing plates, ingredients, pots, etc. But more of a concern is we have a saloon area that is much bigger in terms of usable space, a galley up model would have cut that space into two small halves and with a child who likes to play with tons of toys, one larger contiguous space is an absolute premium. We looked at it this way, 90% of our time is spent not cooking but reading, entertaining the kid, talking to guests, working on the computer, in those times having the galley up is a detriment, not a plus.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 16:15   #18

For whatever it’s worth, and it’s not much because we have never owned a cruising cat, we are considering a galley up cat for our next boat. Some of this has to do with my hip and knees which give me pain going down (but not up) stairs/ladders - hopefully not applicable to you.

However, even without the hip/knee issue, we believe the galley up layout fits our style of cruising. When we cruised our monohull, like most couples 90% of the time we were not sailing at all. When we were, we did little cooking - coffee (sippy cups), soup (sippy cups), sandwiches, snacks. Other than that about 90% of our awake on-the-boat time (other than doing repair/maintenance) was spent lounging around in the cockpit at anchor. Of course, you can’t just lounge around, read, etc.; you have to go down/up the companionway for cold drinks, more ice, snacks, more cold drinks, go to the bathroom, check the weather fax, more cold drinks, etc. - not really complaining, but it gets old no matter how good your hip/knees are. For this reason we find the idea of a kind of unified one-level salon/galley/(huge) cockpit very appealing. Hmmm - does anyone make a head-up model?
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 16:44   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Cruising Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion
However, even without the hip/knee issue, we believe the galley up layout fits our style of cruising.
I am not a cat person but keeping my options open vs. pilothouse.

The more I read the up vs. down threads the more I believe the style of cruising is the main differentiator.

Crew of 2 making passage - Galley up, more sociable. More face time with each other. More premium on quick trips to the galley. Can be more difficult to cook underway - but when is it easier?

Crew of 2+ kids - Galley down. Salon used for "family room" purposes. Emphasis on activity space.

Crew of 2+ friends / not passage making / daysailing / weekenders - Galley up. Social people. Social layout.

Crew of 2+ passage making - Galley down. Full crew watches. Assigned jobs. Cooking under way - more stable.

There is no right answer.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 17:08   #20

Bearing in mind that some of this is design dependent and will vary from one make/model to another, I think Dan pretty much nailed it.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 19:42   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Defer to whatever your wife wants on this one. I'm generalizing here, but men view the galley up/down issue with cold logic taking in quantitative measures and weighing options. In the end, they don't really care one way or another - they are just trying to make the best decision. Women view the galley decision on some emotional/personal level that men just won't (and will never) understand and it tends to be very meaningful to them. Even if you are the one who does the cooking. THEY ARE CORRECT ON THIS. Stand your ground on tool space, ground tackle etc, but defer to them on galley decisions (and whether to have one or two heads, but that is another thread).

BTW, I prefer galley down, but have a galley up (guess why). One positive aspect is on ours, the sink is immediatly inside the companionway, and this makes it very convenient to quickly toss something that needs to immediatly get out of the way and stay put without diverting your attention.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 21:09   #22
DtM

Mark descends like Moses with the tablets and reveals the TRUTH.

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 02:12   #23

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj
Defer to whatever your wife wants on this one.
Don't have one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj
whether to have one or two heads
She did have 2 heads thats why I got rid of her.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 02:45   #24

Boat: SWITCH 51 CATAMARAN - ZIA
Galley up works for our family

Our Switch 51 has a galley up. It works well for the family since it frees up the hulls for the cabins. It is nice on a long watch to whip up some food while keeping a sharp eye out. Also the social aspects of cooking allow family and friends to keep the cook company.

joe
zialater.com
Old 22-08-2007, 02:46   #25

Boat: SWITCH 51 CATAMARAN - ZIA
Galley up works for our family

Our Switch 51 has a galley up. It works well for the family since it frees up the hulls for the cabins. It is nice on a long watch to whip up some food while keeping a sharp eye out. Also the social aspects of cooking allow family and friends to keep the cook company.

joe
zialater.com
Old 24-08-2007, 19:19   #26

Hi Mike,

For what it's worth....

Had a galley up before. It was great when it's just you and yours aboard and ya don't need much room. It was rather annoying when chartering or if you had heaps of people over....the 'chef can socialize' thing sounded good at first, but if you truly have to cook for lots of people it's hard to focus and be effecient while doing that. Galley down you can sort of hide off to the side, but still hear what's going on.

Galley down kills a head if you want one mid-hull (ie: two heads, one in each mid-hull area) as opposed to heads in each cabin (more expensive, more poo'ey toilets to play with).

Galley up kills salon space, obviously.

Galley down hotter to work in, but galley up I found I'd have to limit the wind flow often through the front salon hatches because it'd mess with the stove.

Our next cat we're doing galley down....mainly 'cause we'll charter part of the year. Also, even noting the above reasons, when we're on our own we want the most 'lie-about' space....a daybed, no clutter, open feeling, etc up top.

One cat we had was galley down, btw, it wasn't a big deal losing viz for a bit...just gotta keep on top of things and not let yourself get lulled into what ever you're doing letting time slip away.

One last thought....I think the size of your cockpit (and the boat design) related to the salon and cockpit could play a big part. Some cats are open and have sliding windows and/or a 'bar' that's inside/outside. Some are walled off by the bulkhead...some compromise salon for cockpit space and visa versa.

Trade-offs!

best - Jay
jaydh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 22:00   #27

The main thing I like about the down galley arangement is that it allows the cabin top to be lower. That way I can see over it without climbing up to a platform. The helmsmans seat is also lower, allowing me to dock or moor singlehanded, because I don't have to climb down from the high seat. The galley up allows for more openess, but galley down makes for easier boat handling IMHO.
Marc PDQ 36
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 03:23   #28

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydh
Hi Mike,

For what it's worth....

Had a galley up before. It was great when it's just you and yours aboard and ya don't need much room. It was rather annoying when chartering or if you had heaps of people over....the 'chef can socialize' thing sounded good at first, but if you truly have to cook for lots of people it's hard to focus and be effecient while doing that. Galley down you can sort of hide off to the side, but still hear what's going on.
My thoughts exactly

Galley down kills a head if you want one mid-hull (ie: two heads, one in each mid-hull area) as opposed to heads in each cabin (more expensive, more poo'ey toilets to play with).
Don't have

Galley up kills salon space, obviously.

Galley down hotter to work in, but galley up I found I'd have to limit the wind flow often through the front salon hatches because it'd mess with the stove.

Our next cat we're doing galley down....mainly 'cause we'll charter part of the year. Also, even noting the above reasons, when we're on our own we want the most 'lie-about' space....a daybed, no clutter, open feeling, etc up top.
Again my thoughts

One cat we had was galley down, btw, it wasn't a big deal losing viz for a bit...just gotta keep on top of things and not let yourself get lulled into what ever you're doing letting time slip away.

One last thought....I think the size of your cockpit (and the boat design) related to the salon and cockpit could play a big part. Some cats are open and have sliding windows and/or a 'bar' that's inside/outside. Some are walled off by the bulkhead...some compromise salon for cockpit space and visa versa.

Trade-offs!

best - Jay
Current thinking is to cut off the sink return of the galley to make the comp/nav/helm station. Extend the settee 600 mm to where the return was. The head and basin moves rearward to behind the shower, no walkthrough transoms. Galley gets built in the port hull.

Alternatively
Leave the galley up and modify the bench just in front of the helm to make a small desk for the computer facing to port. This would also enable a pc monitor to swivel to be seen from the helm. Radios could be overhead so they are available in the saloon.

I don't want to spend a large part of my life in the hull without a view so I imagine the cook would be thinking the same. This may be the best compromise.

Mike

Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 02:52   #29

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
The advantage of all the extra room and storage with the galley down version is more appeasing to us. Having a larger living room to sprawl out in or just plain entertain is a major plus. It's all good but I prefer the galley down.
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 10:41   #30

Boat: privilege 37
we have a galley down and it is still open to the salon so cook is still part of the social group still gives us a lot more room in the salon and more locker space in the galley also the oven and fridge and freezer are all at chest hight no bending down. we have no problem passing stuff down to the galley.
there seem to be a size to galley up down conection.
below 40ft galley down
40-50ft galley up
over 50ft galley dont know thats crew stuff!!
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley