Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 08:30   #1

Boat: Prout 50 Quasar 1980
Send a message via Skype™ to tolly
Galley up or down?

Planning to buy a cat suitable for long time live aboard and ocean crossing, I try to figure out the pros and cons with galley up or down. Spontaneously I feel that it must be nicer with galley up, being able to look around when sailing and easy communicate with the rest of the crew (family). Also it seemes easier to avoid seasickness that way, and also better ventilation when cooking.
Is it something I forget or don't see in this, or is it just a matter of taste?
What's your experience?

Rolf
tolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:42   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The majority of your time will be spent at anchor. A galley up layout is a much more sociable. The galley slave will not feel that he/she is relegated to the dungeon.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:45   #3

Get a galley down that you can still communicate with the saloon. BC god forbid you have to cook on passage. My wife cooked in 8 foot seas in the gulf of mexico that were like 6 to 7 second intervals and I got a warm cooked meal
Finditsurfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:51   #4

Boat: privilege 37
for all the pros and cons you have read about gally up or down.
think of this
for every 100 hours you live on a boat not even 1 hour will be spent at sea cooking a meal
and are you realy going to buy a cat so big that when someone is in a galley down they wont be able to comunicate with the rest of the crew
wow thats some big cat best call it a lion?
lived on our cat for 4 years now and would rather the space in the saloon for a living space where we spend most of our time awake.
look at my pics on my profile etc
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:56   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Keep in mind... the reason galley up designs were introduced had nothing to do with communicating with the crew. The charter companies buy the majority of 30 something FT (granted 38 FT+) and 40+ foot cats. They needed the galley out of the hulls to make room for more state rooms. Galley up designs have 1/2 the space that galley down designs do. And with galley down designs there's no bumping other folks when preparing a meal.

Trust me, with galley down designs you 'communicate' just fine with the rest of the crew as you are 2 ft from the saloon. How far from the cockpit helm do you think you are going to be???? 8 feet??
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:02   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Up is where all the action is , on long cruises I spend 2 to 3 hours a day in the kitchen and I enjoy being with the rest of the crew being able to talk and dish out food to the in or outside table , I would never want a galley down , been there done that no more.
A kitchen is part of the social area so why have it tucked away into spots where one gets seasick and having to carry foo up and down all the time.

I enjoy cooking and preparing a good meal on a long voyage is very much appreciated by the whole crew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finalpics 023.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	5442   Click image for larger version

Name:	B_149.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	5443  

Click image for larger version

Name:	B_109.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	5444  
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
Keep in mind... the reason galley up designs were introduced had nothing to do with communicating with the crew. The charter companies buy the majority of 30 something FT (granted 38 FT+) and 40+ foot cats. They needed the galley out of the hulls to make room for more state rooms. Galley up designs have 1/2 the space that galley down designs do. And with galley down designs there's no bumping other folks when preparing a meal.

Trust me, with galley down designs you 'communicate' just fine with the rest of the crew as you are 2 ft from the saloon. How far from the cockpit helm do you think you are going to be???? 8 feet??
i could not agree more
privalage ruind the 37 when they turned it into a 39 and moved the gally up.
also i haved sailed a bb 385 and found it almost imposible to poor a cup of tea as ther was nowere to brace myself also no locker space for provisions had to keep stuf in the hull lockers!!.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Up is where all the action is , on long cruises I spend 2 to 3 hours a day in the kitchen and I enjoy being with the rest of the crew being able to talk and dish out food to the in or outside table , I would never want a galley down , been there done that no more.
A kitchen is part of the social area so why have it tucked away into spots where one gets seasick and having to carry foo up and down all the time.

I enjoy cooking and preparing a good meal on a long voyage is very much appreciated by the whole crew

what the hell are you cooking that takes 2-3 hours one meal must run into the next you need some new recipes
and how many gas bottles to run the stove
we have two cooked meals a day and snaks and i make bread still wont add up to 2-3 hours.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:16   #9

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52
Galley up gets my vote

In a cat I've cruised galley-up in Lagoon 420 and galley-down in a Prout Snowgoose and, in my opinion, galley-up is one hundred times better. More room, more light, more sociable, better service to the cockpit dining area, easier access from all four corners of the boat, cook less suceptible to sea-sickness, nearer the centre of motion so cookware doesn't move around so much, cooking smells escape more easily, potential leaking gas or fumes from appliances less likely to collect in the cabins with fatal results, heat produced by fridge and freezer do not oppress the occupants of one of the cabins, the galley does not impede access to one of the cabins or mean you have to forgo a cabin entirely.

Chris
Octopus, Lagoon 420 Hybrid
Ardrossan Harbour, Scotland
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:17   #10
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Up is where all the action is ,
Never mind what he's cooking. If he has all the action, I want to sail on his boat as there's considerably less 'action' on mine.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:20   #11

must be a 9 1/2 weeks thing going on glad i dont have to cleen up after !!!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:23   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip van praag View Post
what the hell are you cooking that takes 2-3 hours one meal must run into the next you need some new recipes
and how many gas bottles to run the stove
we have two cooked meals a day and snaks and i make bread still wont add up to 2-3 hours.
I cook 3 to 4 meals a day plus bread, cakes, pastry etc on long cruises and make more use of the kitchen than any other place in the saloon area.
I do enjoy cooking but by all means stay down in your kitchen with small portholes to look out of. fine with me I just have a different idea about a kitchen and where it should be positioned.

Happy sailing
Old 11-10-2008, 10:24   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip van praag View Post
must be a 9 1/2 weeks thing going on glad i dont have to cleen up after !!!
I cruise in luxury with a dishwasher so no problem there

Greetings
Old 11-10-2008, 10:25   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
Never mind what he's cooking. If he has all the action, I want to sail on his boat as there's considerably less 'action' on mine.
Hallo Rick you are welcome

greetings
Old 11-10-2008, 10:28   #15

I have a PDQ 36 with a galley down. The advantage for me is, the cabin top is lower. I don't have to climb up on a platform to see forward. Because of the lower profile, singlehanding is much easier. Everything on deck is much easier( less tiring)to reach.
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley