Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 10:37   #16

Boat: privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
I cruise in luxury with a dishwasher so no problem there

Greetings

me to oven, hob, dish washer, 2 fridges, 9 lockes 2 draws and a bin utencil rack all within reach can still pass food to the people at the table without leaving the gally. and i dont have to get on my hands and nees to see in the oven or fridge
but with your sort of action that may be the plan !!!!
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:40   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
It seems you also like your comfort , you also must have incredible long arms !!!
I am glad there is choice for everybody up down or even both like the St Francis 50
it is all possible.

Good Journey
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:53   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
My galley up has allowed what would be galley down to be ALL PANTRY. Why not have that million dollar view while working the galley? Not to mention even in some weather. You will have ventilation from the hatches that surround your head on your shoulders. In some weather with galley down the hatches, and ports will be closed shutting down ventilation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGINE SALON KITCHEN.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	5445  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:54   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
My galley up has allowed what would be galley down to be ALL PANTRY. Why not have that million dollar view while working the galley? Not to mention even in some weather. You will have ventilation from the hatches that surround your head on your shoulders. In some weather with galley down the hatches, and ports will be closed shutting down ventilation.
Very Nice galley Imagine Good job

greetings
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:57   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Thank you Gideon,

The previous owner, and builder deserve all the credit. I just keep the wood nice, and shiny!!!!!!!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 13:39   #21

I'm with Gideon on this point. Food prep and clean up after requires a lot of time in a day. I'd much rather spend that time with views and in the center of activity.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 14:53   #22

I'd have galley up if my boat were a 50+ footer. IMHO to have the galley up in a smaller boat you have to sacrifice something - in our salon area there is a lounge, dinette, and nav. To fit the galley up one of those would have to go. Also with the galley down we have two benches which are 2.5 metres long. No way we'd have that space galley up in a 44 foot boat.

Communication is just fine too. And the long narrow galley does provide better security at sea.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 14:54   #23

Boat: Privilege 37
Rolf,

As you can see by all the opinions that galley up or down is an individual preference with strong opinions both ways. It really depends on your cruising life style and the size of your cat. Are you going to be entertaining aboard and talking while cooking?; will you be cooking big meals underway and need to stay close to the helm?; do you wash your dirty dishes while you are entertaining or would you rather hide them in your galley down and wash them when your guests leave?

I believe the size of the cat makes a big difference. Galley up on a large cat can work well because there is plenty of "real estate" to work with. Galley up on a smaller cat can take space away from a real nav station on the bridge deck and interfere with a comfortable layout for lounging on the settees.

I have a 37' Privilege like Philip with galley down and I compared it to a Privilege 395 (same size bridge deck) at the boat show with galley up. On our sized boat, I prefer the galley down because it gives me a full nav station on the bridge deck and large "L" shaped settees which are perfect for a "lounge lizard" like myself. We have a larger table that seats 6 comfortably and we like to hide the dirty dishes in the galley down until our guests leave. The "Admiral" & I also like the galley down because it has more counter space for preparing meals. We have lived aboard and cruised extensively for the last 3 years and we still like the layout. The down galley feels like part of the salon to us and the cook can still communicate easily with the bridge deck.

On the other hand, we visited friends on a Voyage 50 and really liked the galley up layout on that boat and would want the same layout if it were ours.

Good luck in finding your "dream boat."
Old 11-10-2008, 15:11   #24
Kai Nui

OK, brace yourselves, I am going to agree with Gideon
Speaking strictly from a logical, not an experience standpoint, as my multi is a tri, and this is not an issue. My wife's passion is cooking for people. Having the galley in the center of the social area, or as close as possible to it is a must. She does spend lots of time in the galley. If not cooking, then puttering around. A down galley would separate her from the social activities while she was in the galley, and would likely cause her to spend less time there. I like to spend time at the helm. Even when not underway, I set my helm area up to be a comfortable place to sit and read, or mess with Small projects. When we entertain, I generally am at the helm, so there needs to be room to accommodate guests in that area. If my boat were a cat, I would want an up galley so that my wife could spend her time in the galley where she is comfortable, and still be part of things. On our tri, the galley is positioned so that she can be in the galley, close to the helm, and comfortably interact with guests seated in the saloon, or the cockpit.
Old 11-10-2008, 22:23   #25

Boat: Privilege 39
When we were doing our boat search, my wife really wanted a galley up plan. It didn't take long (a few weeks) after living aboard our Privilege 39 with galley down before she agreed we made the right decision. Different strokes for different folks, but this is what works for us...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 23:31   #26

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
I started a thread on the same vien some time back and I am still vacillating.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 00:33   #27

Boat: privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical View Post
I started a thread on the same vien some time back and I am still vacillating.

Mike
i remember this and i think i made a coment about size and gally

below 40' gally down is the most popular for all resons stated
40-50' gally up as this is the charter market driven design
50' and over back to gally down as it becomes a crew job and one would not want to watch the staff at work.
one other thing to consider when reading through these posts is to sort out who is living on there boat full time and has a boat which matches your budjet and odds are thats the best answer for you.
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 00:36   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Galley Up !

On the Orana 44 we find galley up gets our vote. Have spent time working galley down on the Seawind 1160 and found the work space restrictive, with the Orana open plan galley you can engage others to help out although do agree there is more stowage on the galley down. From a social view point with the layout on our boat the galley up works very well.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 00:49   #29

Boat: Prout 50 Quasar 1980
Send a message via Skype™ to tolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
In a cat I've cruised galley-up in Lagoon 420 and galley-down in a Prout Snowgoose and, in my opinion, galley-up is one hundred times better. More room, more light, more sociable, better service to the cockpit dining area, easier access from all four corners of the boat, cook less suceptible to sea-sickness, nearer the centre of motion so cookware doesn't move around so much, cooking smells escape more easily, potential leaking gas or fumes from appliances less likely to collect in the cabins with fatal results, heat produced by fridge and freezer do not oppress the occupants of one of the cabins, the galley does not impede access to one of the cabins or mean you have to forgo a cabin entirely.

Chris
Octopus, Lagoon 420 Hybrid
Ardrossan Harbour, Scotland
I think this summons up the thoughts I have (had) about the galley position. I also have got some other views, from svcattales, Kai Nui and others of you out there. It seemes being a question of practical experience, logical reasoning but most of all personal taste. The replies I have got and the discussion it started is for me, and perhaps others, a perfect ground to stand on in our coming decision in what cat we should buy.
My wife and I both like to cook and spend time in the kitchen at home (on the solid ground), she have a tendency to get seasick a times, and with the friends we have, we together help with the dishes till everything is fixed, so for us, putting together the different replies, it would be galley up.
Problem as I can see it though is the space a galley needs, as some of you have stated. Our economy doesn't allow us to buy a +45 new cat, but perhaps an older big one. I have been looking at the Prout 50 Quasar, depending on its layout, which could be interesting. Or do anyone of you have another suggestion.

Rolf
tolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 00:57   #30

Boat: Prout 50 Quasar 1980
Send a message via Skype™ to tolly
live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip van praag View Post
i remember this and i think i made a coment about size and gally

below 40' gally down is the most popular for all resons stated
40-50' gally up as this is the charter market driven design
50' and over back to gally down as it becomes a crew job and one would not want to watch the staff at work.
one other thing to consider when reading through these posts is to sort out who is living on there boat full time and has a boat which matches your budjet and odds are thats the best answer for you.
You are right about the important question of who's living aboard and who's not, when making a reply. Of course their needs are different.
Our plan is to live aboard long time and slowly circumnavigate, with occasional visits from kids (4) and freinds.

Rolf
tolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley