Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2010, 07:58   #1
Registered User
 
shipofools's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Liveaboard Marathon FL
Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Posts: 279
Images: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to shipofools
Galley Up - Galley Down

Looking to get some feedback, on the Galley Up - Galley Down angle on a cat. Shopping ATM, and and wondering what people prefer, and why?

Cheers
__________________

__________________
Ship O' Fools
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. - HST
shipofools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 08:14   #2
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,084
Down - more bench space more kitchen space, more cupboard space - I dont have the kitchen in the middle of the lounge room at home why would I on a boat.
__________________

__________________
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 08:24   #3
Registered User
 
Kaya 09's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On the boat
Boat: Cantana 401, 41' Kaya
Posts: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Kaya 09
Up - When the galley is 'down' you are basically out of touch when you have guests. It is very much like being in a cave with limited ventalation. So...when the stove/oven is on, it pretty much becomes a sauna. As we spend about 99% of our social time in the cockpit, have the galley 'up' allows the person that actually does the cooking to be a part of the social activities. Think of it this way...it is an open living home where the kitchen and the living area are only separated by the bar.
__________________
Life is a banquet and most people are starving to death!
Kaya 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 08:29   #4
Registered User
 
freetime's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 685
Images: 2
For me it can be both up or down. But also alote on the design of the boat. If you look at seawind 1160, i prefer kitchen down. And if it is a privilege 445/495 i prefer up. So for me i must see the design of hole boat first. And also, who will sail the boat, how many and where.

Shipofools- Tell us what boat you want, and if it is for a world cruiser, or a weekend or week cruiser. etc....
__________________
Joakim
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 09:48   #5
Registered User
 
shipofools's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Liveaboard Marathon FL
Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Posts: 279
Images: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to shipofools
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
Shipofools- Tell us what boat you want, and if it is for a world cruiser, or a weekend or week cruiser. etc....
So the challenge has been to find a multihull that meets our needs. Basically it has come down to us planning on going with a Farrier 44sc with an r rig for performance.

We have shopped all the cantanas, outremers, chris white boats, etc basically any multi with daggerboards, but they all have compromises that we can not overcome. I can address this in another thread if people are interested in our thinking.

The Farrier seems to address all the needs we have, especially when you factor in the variability of layouts & specification while having the boat built.

So as we plan the layout of the boat, we have the flexibility now to decide what works best, and are looking for feedback

As far as the intended use, world cruiser . . .

Cheers,
__________________
Ship O' Fools
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. - HST
shipofools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 12:01   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida Keys
Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Posts: 261
Charles,
Before I settled on tri's I considered cats. It came down to windage, bridgedeck clearance and the conflict between the two. With galley down could you have less than standing headroom in the salon, much like the old Hirrondelle's? Dave
__________________
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 12:51   #7
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
Up. As stated before, unless you have A/C if can become quite uncomfortable in the hotter climates. I'm lucky enough to have a wife that likes to do most of the cooking. I enjoy sitting in the salon area and talking with her while I'm relaxing. An up galley usually has a much better breeze coming through. When I single hand it's nice to have the galley right there when I want to grab a quick snack or drink. When I am alone there are things like stews that take awhile to cook. I like to keep a constant eye on any flame. It's alot easier and more comfortable in the salon area than hanging out down below.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 14:45   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
Looking to get some feedback, on the Galley Up - Galley Down angle on a cat. Shopping ATM, and and wondering what people prefer, and why?

Cheers

A lot here.

Galley up or Down

It seems to boil down to down if boat is small and up if bigger, but this is a size of boat answered by area constraints. I would have it up as I think, like at home, a lot of life surrounds the kitchen closely, intimately.
__________________
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 14:56   #9
Registered User
 
DevoDave's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Circumnavigating Australia, currently Melbourne
Boat: Seawind 1160
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
For me it can be both up or down. But also alote on the design of the boat. If you look at seawind 1160, i prefer kitchen down. And if it is a privilege 445/495 i prefer up.
I have a Seawind 1160, and down is definitely the go! The Sewind has an 'open plan' layout which means the galley is still part of the action. You really need to see one in the flesh to appreciate how good it is.
__________________
DevoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 07:26   #10
Registered User
 
shipofools's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Liveaboard Marathon FL
Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Posts: 279
Images: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to shipofools
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOnCudjoe View Post
Charles,
Before I settled on tri's I considered cats. It came down to windage, bridgedeck clearance and the conflict between the two. With galley down could you have less than standing headroom in the salon, much like the old Hirrondelle's? Dave
Since we are looking to have the boat built for us, and are honestly not really worried about resell value, we are going to build it for 5'10" headroom, with more headroom in the aft berths (we are short). I am looking to minimize windage, and have the highest possible bridgedeck that the design can have.

Some other key elements of what we are planning is offset (canted) saildrives to allow the boat to rest on its bottom, and move the engines more to the centerline for balance. Planning to do daggerboard rudders in order to facilitate further. Not many cats that are this size can claim a 22inch draft. A great pic of the offset saildrives can be seen here: exterior

With the goal of keeping the boat light, we have looked at the Andaman cat as inspiration in the planning phase, and will use a similar theme ie dropcloths for doors, no drawers, etc - pics here: Andaman Cabriolet by Composite Catamarans Co., Ltd.
On this we are debating enclosing the back of the bridgedeck or not at this point. Reason for - physical security of the boat, but feel that eisenglass as doors will work anytime we do not feel the need to lock the boat.

From a build perspective, Melvest marine is a no brainer, they have experience with Ian's designs, and I have seen their work which is top notch.

Another thing we are trying to figure out now, and I would love people's opinions on are tillers vs wheels. It is our opinion that tillers are simpler, and more reliable, and the feedback is more real ie. you can tell when you are loaded up or badly trimmed without even looking at the sails.

We are spending the time in the planning phase to ensure we have the boat that we want, and I realize that this boat will be a build that is suited to individuals that are into a high performance cat, with simple systems, and not ideal for everyone.

Cheers
__________________
Ship O' Fools
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. - HST
shipofools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 07:28   #11
Registered User
 
shipofools's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Liveaboard Marathon FL
Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Posts: 279
Images: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to shipofools
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Up. As stated before, unless you have A/C if can become quite uncomfortable in the hotter climates. I'm lucky enough to have a wife that likes to do most of the cooking. I enjoy sitting in the salon area and talking with her while I'm relaxing. An up galley usually has a much better breeze coming through. When I single hand it's nice to have the galley right there when I want to grab a quick snack or drink. When I am alone there are things like stews that take awhile to cook. I like to keep a constant eye on any flame. It's alot easier and more comfortable in the salon area than hanging out down below.
Tellie, I still owe you a beer for the solar panel you sent me a while ago. I am in Marathon now if you ever come down.

Great point about singlehanding. We are not planning on AC.

Cheers,
__________________
Ship O' Fools
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. - HST
shipofools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 07:29   #12
Registered User
 
shipofools's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Liveaboard Marathon FL
Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Posts: 279
Images: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to shipofools
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoDave View Post
I have a Seawind 1160, and down is definitely the go! The Sewind has an 'open plan' layout which means the galley is still part of the action. You really need to see one in the flesh to appreciate how good it is.
I know a lot of ex farrier owners go to the seawinds for cruising. I believe there are a few in stuart FL I can check out, thanks for the heads up.
__________________
Ship O' Fools
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. - HST
shipofools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 07:34   #13
Registered User
 
shipofools's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Liveaboard Marathon FL
Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Posts: 279
Images: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to shipofools
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
A lot here.

Galley up or Down

It seems to boil down to down if boat is small and up if bigger, but this is a size of boat answered by area constraints. I would have it up as I think, like at home, a lot of life surrounds the kitchen closely, intimately.
Yup, I checked that out before I posted, but with all the new members since that thread and many new cat owners, I thought that there would be additional feedback.

You got me thinking about the fact of where most of the life on the boat occurs, and maybe it really is the cockpit, so the closer the galley is to the cockpit, the more "homey" the boat is.

Cheers,
__________________
Ship O' Fools
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. - HST
shipofools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 07:37   #14
Registered User
 
shipofools's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Liveaboard Marathon FL
Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Posts: 279
Images: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to shipofools
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaya 09 View Post
Up - When the galley is 'down' you are basically out of touch when you have guests. It is very much like being in a cave with limited ventalation. So...when the stove/oven is on, it pretty much becomes a sauna. As we spend about 99% of our social time in the cockpit, have the galley 'up' allows the person that actually does the cooking to be a part of the social activities. Think of it this way...it is an open living home where the kitchen and the living area are only separated by the bar.
Reading the posts backwards, so missed this. Agree re cockpit, and that and singlehanding are starting to drive us in a certain direction.
__________________
Ship O' Fools
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. - HST
shipofools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 07:47   #15
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Galley down for me

Like Factor I also dont have my kitchen in my loungeroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaya 09 View Post
Up - When the galley is 'down' you are basically out of touch when you have guests. It is very much like being in a cave with limited ventalation.
Never had a problem before, even in the galley in my last cat that was 32 ft

The one I am doing now has a galley 3.3m long x 2.2 metres wide at bench height with 2 500x500 hatches, side portholes and plenty of visibility to interact with guests. This galley is in the hull.

But in reality, 90% of the cooking will be done in the cockpit on the BBQ
__________________

__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
galley

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Up or Down Galley Tom and Maje Multihull Sailboats 56 16-01-2015 16:33
Galley up or down? tolly Multihull Sailboats 47 21-10-2008 01:16
spirit galley Ural_RUS Provisioning: Food & Drink 2 19-07-2008 06:53
Galley up or Down Whimsical Multihull Sailboats 45 10-09-2007 11:30
Stainless in the galley Brent Swain Provisioning: Food & Drink 0 24-03-2004 15:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.