Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-02-2015, 20:50   #16

Boat: Wanted: Schionning Arrow 1360'ish
Re: Galley down and a large living area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe818 View Post
Ours about to start construction (Gforce 15 cruise) has both, a large galley up with great big work surfaces and just a small food prep sink and an adjoining galley down /scullery with a huge stainless cleaning / work area with twin sinks. Cabinets are accessed from both sides and there is a common drying rack / cabinet meaning no dirty dishes upstairs and no carrying them up or down stairs. Also, people washing up don't interfere with cooks. It's very clever.
The boat of my dreams ... If I may ask, where are you building it? Anywhere near Sydney? I'd love to take a look at some point as this is the boat I'd like to build myself one day ..

Oh and Hi, newbie lurker first time poster here

Old 02-02-2015, 05:54   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
The boat of my dreams ... If I may ask, where are you building it? Anywhere near Sydney? I'd love to take a look at some point as this is the boat I'd like to build myself one day ..

Oh and Hi, newbie lurker first time poster here
Being pro built in Cape Town by an aussie / kiwi mob who've recently set up there to build 15 and 18 cruise models. Foam core, shafts and CE.

Old 02-02-2015, 14:24   #18

Thank you both for answering my questions about the kitchen.

Kindest,

Sundae
Old 02-02-2015, 18:13   #19

Boat: Wanted: Schionning Arrow 1360'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe818 View Post
Being pro built in Cape Town by an aussie / kiwi mob who've recently set up there to build 15 and 18 cruise models. Foam core, shafts and CE.
Ahh, bugger! Nevermind.

You must be stoked though, great design .. It'd be great if you could share photos along the way. I'd subscribe, droolworthy stuff.

Best of luck with it all

/hijack oops
Old 02-02-2015, 22:28   #20

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
I so much appreciate the collective expertise of this board. Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can share.

What cats in the 38-45' range have a good-sized galley down and also have an well-lit open living area? Of course, my DH has an entirely different view of what is important in a cruising cat. I'm trying to identify a number of designs that fit my desire for cooking area and space. Hopefully, one of those models will fit his requirements also.

With the help of members of the board I've identified Maine Cat 41, Gunboat 55 (too big for us and only about 2 million over our budget lol), Antares 44i, and a Seawind 1160.

These designs all have a full-sized working kitchen below. This is a non-negotiable item for me. I'm a serious cook/baker/food preserver and I need a real work space, not the wide-open inefficient kitchen frequently found on charter cats. Hey, they are great for a week in the Carib, but would completely suck for making boeuf bourguignon with a nice crusty baguette.

What I like...

The MaineCat 41 has a really unique design that links the salon, helm, and cockpit into a big common area with 360' visibility. The galley is slightly isolated, though. But it seems like an excellent work area.

The Antares has a protected helm that is integrated into the cockpit. Nice. I hate the idea of him stuck out in the weather while I'm below baking. I wish that the cockpit felt more like an extension of the saloon than it does, however. I love how the galley is a separate work space without being isolated in a hull.

The Seawind has those nifty tri-fold doors that fold into the hardtop. Awesome. The galley is like that of the Antares. I wish that it had a little more space though. Thirty-eight feet is the bare minimum for us.

The Gunboat; well it's perfect. I'll buy one when I hit the lottery. Plus I'll hire a captain.

So what, what else out there might fit my needs?
Thanks again!
CG if the Seawind 1160 is too small the 1250 model as others have mentioned would fit the bill. Lightwave 38 and 45 models also provide light airy roomy galley downs.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:43   #21

TPI Lagoon 42!
I've been living aboard mine for 11 years 6 to 9 months per year. The galley is down and works well for serious cooking, even in a seaway. The salon offers comfortable seating for 6 and we have served a number of sit down dinners for 8 in the cockpit comfortably.

This is a great sailboat. She offers a comfortable ride, tacks easily and has the rare combination to make a sailor and a chef both happy.

My boat is Exit Strategy and I am getting ready to sell. We are currently in the northern Bahamas and plan on sailing to northern Florida in April. I plan on putting an ad up on this site right away, so you can take a look there.

Good luck with your search.

DorisT

Tags
galley

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: