Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2013, 08:41   #31
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: galley down

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
a few more great suggestions.. I like the priviledge 482... beautiful boat as well...
If your at the price point of a Priviledge 482, you might as well look at a St. Francis 48 or 50 also. They have everything a couple could want built into a fast and strong boat.
Old 29-12-2013, 09:01   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post

If your at the price point of a Priviledge 482, you might as well look at a St. Francis 48 or 50 also. They have everything a couple could want built into a fast and strong boat.
I'm curious about the galley ups the OP considers too small...which boats?

In the size range above, I sometimes run a Voyage 50 that is galley up and has more than adequate space...and this is in full service charter use with as many as 6 guests (certainly a use where galley down is a good fit).

Another option to consider is a bit of both (up and down). This is custom work of course, but I've seen it done well.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 10:00   #33

Boat: Privilege 482

Quote:

The St Francis will be at a considerably higher price point than the 482. The 482 is a ~20 year old boat (but still going strong- they are amazingly built). There are 482s available in the mid 200's and you can get a great one for mid 300s. I think the SF48/50 are all in the 400+ range. The SF44 would be at a comparable price.
Old 29-12-2013, 13:15   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I'm curious about the galley ups the OP considers too small...which boats?

In the size range above, I sometimes run a Voyage 50 that is galley up and has more than adequate space...and this is in full service charter use with as many as 6 guests (certainly a use where galley down is a good fit).

Another option to consider is a bit of both (up and down). This is custom work of course, but I've seen it done well.
I really like the Voyage 50. Everything seems well thought out. I just wish it had one piece of wood on it as it looks so plastic. It has my one big want which is a solid platform for the dingy.
Old 30-12-2013, 07:43   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:

I really like the Voyage 50. Everything seems well thought out. I just wish it had one piece of wood on it as it looks so plastic. It has my one big want which is a solid platform for the dingy.
Ha, that's something I like about V50...very practical interior with zero wood anywhere waiting to become a future maintenance issue. Most all recreational boats are built too much like....well, recreational boats....personally I would prefer them more like commercial boats....solid, practical, and tough.

Not so wild about the dinghy lift arrangement. I want to like it because it seems clever, but in practice find it to be a pain compared to davits.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 08:03   #36

What would make the dingy lift perfect is to use a deck crane instead of the boom extension.

I agree with the no maintenance part, I'd just like a little accent wood. Palarran creaks and groans non-stop when the weather gets rough due to the wood. I haven't had much maintenance issues with it yet though.
Old 30-12-2013, 08:37   #37
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Some interesting comments on the debate about galley location come from Ted Clements, the naval architect responsible for the Antares 44:
Galley | Catamaran Concepts
It should be understood that while Clements clearly favours the galley down, he has designed the Antares 44 so that it is available in either configuration.

I strongly disagree with the suggestion that a galley-down is equivalent to a kitchen in a basement - the majority of the hull is above water and most have portlights at head level. I also disagree with the suggestion that a galley-down must, of necessity, isolate the cook from those in the main saloon. Many cats, including my own, are open at head level (or in the case of my boat, shoulder level) to the saloon.

In cats of 40 feet or less, the galley-up takes away from space for seating and the nav station while providing a galley that typically has much less storage and counter space. It also places the heaviest part of the accomodation (and when including stores/pots/pans etc., by far the heaviest) up higher in the boat, raising the Cg of the vessel. My 39'6" cat has a 10 foot long galley with twin sinks, a 3 burner range with oven, a microwave oven, two refrigeration units ( a front load and a top load), 5 under counter storage comparments with shelves, three above counter storage compartments with shelves, three large drawers and approximately 12 feet of counter space including a built-in cutting board. It has a large fixed portlight at eye level, plus an opening portlight, an overhead hatch and a solar vent.

Utilizing this area for the galley has allowed the main saloon to have a full-size chart table/nav station by the companionway door as well as an additional settee (in addition to the U-shaped one that seats six comfortably at the table).

Compare that with most galley-up arrangements in cats of 40 feet or less - you will be lucky to have half the counter space and half the cupboard space. Most will have a small nav station - some without a seat. While this is hardly critical in the charter market, or for boats intended largely for weekends/short vacations aboard, for the liveaboard.........

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 09:10   #38

Yeah, many Down Galleys share the same overhead as the main cabin. You can hear any conversation going on in the salon and a couple side steps can makeface to face comments. Every boat is a compromise, but it seems a small one for sufficient galley space. Frankly, I never felt the need to look out a galley portlight on the side hull at all, step on the step and look out....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 14:15   #39

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Some interesting comments on the debate about galley location come from Ted Clements, the naval architect responsible for the Antares 44:
Galley | Catamaran Concepts
It should be understood that while Clements clearly favours the galley down, he has designed the Antares 44 so that it is available in either configuration.

I strongly disagree with the suggestion that a galley-down is equivalent to a kitchen in a basement - the majority of the hull is above water and most have portlights at head level. I also disagree with the suggestion that a galley-down must, of necessity, isolate the cook from those in the main saloon. Many cats, including my own, are open at head level (or in the case of my boat, shoulder level) to the saloon.

In cats of 40 feet or less, the galley-up takes away from space for seating and the nav station while providing a galley that typically has much less storage and counter space. It also places the heaviest part of the accomodation (and when including stores/pots/pans etc., by far the heaviest) up higher in the boat, raising the Cg of the vessel. My 39'6" cat has a 10 foot long galley with twin sinks, a 3 burner range with oven, a microwave oven, two refrigeration units ( a front load and a top load), 5 under counter storage comparments with shelves, three above counter storage compartments with shelves, three large drawers and approximately 12 feet of counter space including a built-in cutting board. It has a large fixed portlight at eye level, plus an opening portlight, an overhead hatch and a solar vent.

Utilizing this area for the galley has allowed the main saloon to have a full-size chart table/nav station by the companionway door as well as an additional settee (in addition to the U-shaped one that seats six comfortably at the table).

Compare that with most galley-up arrangements in cats of 40 feet or less - you will be lucky to have half the counter space and half the cupboard space. Most will have a small nav station - some without a seat. While this is hardly critical in the charter market, or for boats intended largely for weekends/short vacations aboard, for the liveaboard.........

Brad
The saloon of the Antares 44 is too small and galley up would be very compromised. Agreed, for the Antares galley down would be best.

By contrast the FF46 a vessel that has many similarities to the Antares in a much later design has a 6x4 meter saloon which gives room for very large galley/ dining area and full sized chart table - larger area that a St Francis 50. Designs - FreeFlow 46 I like the St Francis 50 saloon/galley up design and that layout concept in the FF46 would be great.

The Leopards 42 to 47 and the 46 as well as the FP Salina 48 also have room for descent galley- ups.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 15:28   #40

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

I have galley up on a FP Mahe 36 and have lots of space for cooking and have five large table top areas for use as counter tops. We have buffet dinners all the time at the saloon table and then everyone migrates just a step away out to the cockpit.

Production catamarans today have galley up for a reason. The Hulls are for Heads & Beds.

Why would anyone want a head next to food? You would not have a bathroom next to your kitchen at your home, why would you do it on a boat.

What cook wants to smell the head or listen to the noises from a head when someone is using it.
It is usually embarrassing for both individuals, with the head user trying to keep quiet and the cook pretending not to listen. Can you say awkward!!!

Having a galley down cook look out the side windows on a double handed boat just leaves the Captain single handing the boat if you’re under way.

Galley-Up would be my preference on a >50 foot cat with a hired cook.

Galley-Down on a < 50 foot cat is really loved by the few that have them, but the vast majority of cruisers wants and buys Galley-Up.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 17:12   #41
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I have galley up on a FP Mahe 36 and have lots of space for cooking and have five large table top areas for use as counter tops. We have buffet dinners all the time at the saloon table and then everyone migrates just a step away out to the cockpit.

Production catamarans today have galley up for a reason. The Hulls are for Heads & Beds.

Why would anyone want a head next to food? You would not have a bathroom next to your kitchen at your home, why would you do it on a boat.

What cook wants to smell the head or listen to the noises from a head when someone is using it.
It is usually embarrassing for both individuals, with the head user trying to keep quiet and the cook pretending not to listen. Can you say awkward!!!

Having a galley down cook look out the side windows on a double handed boat just leaves the Captain single handing the boat if you&rsquo;re under way.

Galley-Down on a < 50 foot cat is really loved by the few that have them, but the vast majority of cruisers wants and buys Galley-Up.
Sorry Cotemar I don't see it. I did an image search for the Mahe 36 and really nice boat but really small galley. I also did an image search for Lagoon 37. Once again a nice boat but really large galley. For full time live aboard and cruising my wife and I agree, the Lagoon galley was far superior. This discussion is kind of ridiculous as its based upon opinion. You like your galley up? Great! That's why you bought your boat. For us the galley down has had numerous benefits, but once again that's our opinion.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 17:19   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Why would the galley need to be in the same hull as the head? I think the motion thing is an argument for the galley up, but what about keeping the weight of the pots and pans, stove etc, lower down. When you look at these new double decker cats it seems safety has long been forgotten but keeping the weight lower is what was the final factor for me.
Old 30-12-2013, 20:09   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:

To True, as many heads and beds as you can fit in to make them pay better at charter. That is the only reason for Galley up, particularly in a boat under 13 metre.

Quote:
Yes that would be stupid, the head on my boat is port hull, the galley - starboard. On the bigger boats with two dunnies, the port side one is separated by a cabin, and two doors. Speaking of kitchens at home, is yours in the middle of your lounge room?

Quote:
Yes ARKWARD, and not a valid argument. See above.

Quote:
Having a galley down cook look out the side windows on a double handed boat just leaves the Captain single handing the boat if you’re under way.
No it doesnt. If I am at either helm (we have two - one each side cause its so much easier to steer from the windward side) I can talk to someone in the galley, no problem.

Quote:
Good, thats YOUR preference. Funnily enough we offer galley up or down on the 1250, and so far no one has chosen UP.

Quote:
No, the vast majority have no choice. The French boats that dominate the market in the USA don't offer a choice, consequently people aren't choosing galley up, they are choosing a boat and getting the galley they get.

I get it, you like your boat and think its the dux nutts, thats okay, but that doesn't mean other peoples choices are invalid.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 20:38   #44

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I get it, you like your boat and think its the dux nutts, thats okay, but that doesn't mean other peoples choices are invalid.
It has nothing to do with my boat. It was mentioned early on that galley up on a small cat meant a small galley. I am not seeing it.

If I owned a < 50 Catamaran with Galley down I would absolutely love it and tell everyone that would listen that it’s the best.

I love my one eyed no tail dog also and tell everyone my dog is the best pet ever.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 21:04   #45

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
It has nothing to do with my boat. It was mentioned early on that galley up on a small cat meant a small galley. I am not seeing it.

If I owned a < 50 Catamaran with Galley down I would absolutely love it and tell everyone that would listen that it’s the best.

I love my one eyed no tail dog also and tell everyone my dog is the best pet ever.
Just as long as we stay away from anchors.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley