Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2013, 09:01   #16

Boat: Lagoon 37
Re: galley down

Lagoon 37
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 10:15   #17

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
why is everyone so attached to the galley up?
1) Ask your wife if she likes cooking in the basement with a view out the basement window? If she does, then it’s a go.

2) Then ask your wife if she would like a panoramic view and cook while sailing and still talk with you at the helm.

They sell so many galley up catamarans, because most wife’s prefer option #2
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 11:34   #18

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
1) Ask your wife if she likes cooking in the basement with a view out the basement window? If she does, then it’s a go.

2) Then ask your wife if she would like a panoramic view and cook while sailing and still talk with you at the helm.

They sell so many galley up, because most wife’s prefer option #2

Yes these reasons. I liked my home this way too - open kitchen/living/dining area with lots of light and in the middle of all the action. But we also plan on using our guest bedrooms so to me it seems weird to have the kitchen down in a hull.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 11:49   #19

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

No room for a galley in the float-plane. You can make coffee and such, and you can warm up semi-frozen food. There's a small fridge, though. The food is catered in as per passengers requests, prior to departing. Life is simpler this way.

Mauritz
Old 28-12-2013, 14:00   #20
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
We've owned both galley up and galley down. My wife prefers galley down but it's really a case by case basis. Me, I don't care as long as I have a hot meal put in front of me every night:-). I think it really depends a lot on boat size. To me you can't get a decent size galley up in a boat under 40'. That may be a sweeping statement as I'm sure there are exceptions, but it's hard to find a smaller cat that has a galley up with a decent sized salon as well. Case in point would be comparing the old Lagoon 37 to the newer 38' Lagoon. The Lagoon 38 has a galley up which in my opinion is so small and has such a lack of preparation space it's hard to consider it a galley. Whereas the smaller Lagoon 37 with galley down is palatial.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 14:26   #21

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Cotemar... I am the WIFE!!

SMJ.. this is a huge part of it. if we were just going to be weekend cruisers... a tiny galley up would be fine.. but we are going to be full live-aboard cruisers... and the lack of prep space in most galley ups.. well.. there's just not enough room....
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 17:38   #22

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Galley Down really makes since on a large >50 catamaran where you have a cook.
Your cook has plenty of room and is out of everyone’s way. The food just keeps coming out and your guest never sees the mess.

Galley Down is more like the setup on a mono where someone is always handing
Food, plates and drinks up the stairs to the cockpit. Someone always gets left downstairs until the last minute when you are sure all the food stuff is in the cockpit. Oh dam, I forgot the salt and pepper.

It’s just a sucky setup. Who wants to go up and down stairs for a meal or drink or snack or fork or napkin?

The social area for your guest is the saloon. Why not cook and hang out with your guest at the same time.

Galley Up works so well for a couple double handing, because you can cook and keep watch at the same time while under way and also talk to the captain at the helm and hand him or her some food and drink.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 19:25   #23
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Your cook has plenty of room and is out of everyone’s way. The food just keeps coming out and your guest never sees the mess.

Food, plates and drinks up the stairs to the cockpit. Someone always gets left downstairs until the last minute when you are sure all the food stuff is in the cockpit. Oh dam, I forgot the salt and pepper.

It’s just a sucky setup. Who wants to go up and down stairs for a meal or drink or snack or fork or napkin?

The social area for your guest is the saloon. Why not cook and hang out with your guest at the same time.

Galley Up works so well for a couple double handing, because you can cook and keep watch at the same time while under way and also talk to the captain at the helm and hand him food or drink.
I take it your a big fan of galley up?:-)
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 20:36   #24

Boat: Prout 46

Quote:
Oh, that Prout is a beautiful boat!! I found a used one (1999) for $390,000... not bad considering the size, and the beautiful details.....
Thanks that's my boat.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 03:54   #25

Boat: Lagoon 37

Quote:
Cotemar... I am the WIFE!!

SMJ.. this is a huge part of it. if we were just going to be weekend cruisers... a tiny galley up would be fine.. but we are going to be full live-aboard cruisers... and the lack of prep space in most galley ups.. well.. there's just not enough room....
There you go a wife has spoken, and my wife agrees, so there
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 06:10   #26

Boat: Privilege 482

Privilege 482. Huge galley down, but "open air" above so connects to the main salon. Some boats do a galley up configuration that is ok, but most just have the mess of cooking and food prep spill out into the salon area. Galley up is great if you're just making appetizers and mixing drinks, but for serious cooking I prefer the galley down dedicated area. Just my view though....
Old 29-12-2013, 06:14   #27

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Privilege 482. Huge galley down, but "open air" above so connects to the main salon. Some boats do a galley up configuration that is ok, but most just have the mess of cooking and food prep spill out into the salon area. Galley up is great if you're just making appetizers and mixing drinks, but for serious cooking I prefer the galley down dedicated area. Just my view though....
Ditto.
My ex and I spent about 10 years on a Chris White Designs Voyager 45 and we were both in favor of the galley down layout.
Old 29-12-2013, 07:27   #28
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:

Galley Up works so well for a couple double handing, because you can cook and keep watch at the same time while under way and also talk to the captain at the helm and hand him or her some food and drink.
I agree with this assessment. Ours is down and we like it but if I refit the boat might move it to the bridge deck level just to add a huge shower to the boat.
If your the wife and making a decision on the boat based on galley location, you might as well add a full separate shower area, laundry machines, and power flushing toilets to your demands.
Old 29-12-2013, 07:41   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I agree with this assessment. Ours is down and we like it but if I refit the boat might move it to the bridge deck level just to add a huge shower to the boat.
If your the wife and making a decision on the boat based on galley location, you might as well add a full separate shower area, laundry machines, and power flushing toilets to your demands.
AGREED!!!
Old 29-12-2013, 07:41   #30

a few more great suggestions.. I like the priviledge 482... beautiful boat as well...

Tags
galley