Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2013, 12:08   #1

Fusion Cat

Anyone build or sailed a Fusion Cat from Australia?
Carrierjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 18:30   #2
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Re: Fusion Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrierjason View Post
Anyone build or sailed a Fusion Cat from Australia?
this is a Fusion 40 for sale by owner. You can contact the owner through that website.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 07:17   #3

I tried to swap a condo in Florida for that cat about a year ago. Didn't make the deal but came close. Eventually I sold the condo for about the same as the asking price of the boat. I believe the owner of the boat builds boats and airplanes. The boat has been on the market for at least two years.
blighhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 07:22   #4

I just want to know how they sail, for live board crusing.
Old 27-01-2013, 00:07   #5

Fusion 40s are kit catamarans constructed from moulded foam/vinylester composite panels. So, from a distance they all look, pretty much the same. On closer inspection however, they are all different. The internal layout and fit out is very flexible. The volume of fuel and water tankage can be up to 400litres and 800 litres each, for example.
What this means is that there are quite fast Fusions, constructed lightly from composite panels for interior furniture, small tankage, optional dagger boards and rigged with performance sails. Alternatively, there are overweight examples with solid ply internals, big tanks, every conceivable and weighty extra and and very conservative sail plan. The sailing performance, therefore will be hugely different.
Likewise, some example (as shown on the Fusion Catamarans website) have been fitted out expertly will the most expensive of interior materials and therefore look smick. Other ones, however look definitely crumby, with the "stuck on marine carpet decor".
So, it's difficult to generalise about the characteristics of Fusion cats, as with all kit catamarans. The design is a good one in my opinion. It is safe and comfortable with good bridge deck clearance. It is designed to carry a cruising load without totally killing performance. But, as with all cats, weight does effect performance to some degree. If the boat has been well constructed (use a good surveyor) and the interior layout chosen suits your use then they make a great cruising alternative. Hope this is of help. Cheers
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 05:27   #6

Thanks this helps allot
Old 27-01-2013, 05:32   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

There was a thread about some issues with the kits. They mentioned things like the paint colors were off so they didn't match which may have been due to the wrong formula or supplier. I'll see if i can find it for you.