Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 02:13   #1

Fusion 40

Hey has anyone heard about Fusion International being sold to new owners. I here they are getting everything going again and have a new focus on not just selling the kits but also complete boats?
egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 17:22   #2

Re: Fusion 40

Fusion Catamarans International is a private company that produce the Fusion 40 kit and sell it to agents and individuals around the world. The kit production is outsourced to CMI/Cobra who have a modern factory just outside Bangkok. The kit arrives in two 40 foot containers and an instruction book. Just like Ikea furniture. So, the set up is a group of Australans getting a New Zealand designed boat built in bits at a Thai factory to sell to anyone in the world. Don't ya love globalisation.

Fusion's Australian agency has recently changed hands, I believe, with Ian Smith from Fusion Mackay now having this role. Fusion Mackay have previously and still are assembling the kits and selling them at various stages of completion. I also believe that Fusion Mackay are negotiating to move premises further South, to Maryborough, Queensland. Perhaps there will be a boost to the brand in Australia.

The sales of Fusion kits and assembled kits both worldwide and in Australia have not stopped, but I am sure have slowed dramatically in recent years. This would be due to the competition with other brands who have reduced the price of new catamarans and the lower prices of secondhand cats. Besides these factors there is the fact that the design, whilst a good one, is starting to look a bit dated in comparison to the "new fashions".
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 20:12   #3

That is good to here, glad to know the Fusion 40 is alive and well as like you say the design is a few years old but I think they are still one of the best looking cats around. I spoke to Ian Smith at Fusion Mackay and he says that he is still building the Basic Cruise model for $ 470k AUD ex g.s.t. and that price has not changed for years. Of interest is they are also about to launch a Fusion XT which is 4' longer and has an extra 1 meter in mast height. He said it is not just an extension of the hulls as others do but actually the whole area in the cockpit is longer by 2'. He says this option will cost about $ 35k extra and when the next one is built there will be moulds made so this extention can be offered with the standard kit as an option. He also said the moulded interior furniture is very popular with owner builders and the next stage of development will see it become even easier to install.

Looking at the other boats around like Lagoon, Seawind etc. it looks to me that the price above is not bad.

Ian said that he does not own Fusion Int. and it is owned by two other people one of which has 2 Fusions in charter in NSW. He did say that the new owners are currently visiting people who are to become agents/builders worldwide as they want these people to not only to be able to sell the kits but either assist in building or have it built as does Fusion Mackay.

It all sounds promising and it is good to here someone is still having a go when everything worldwide is not going so well.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:26   #4

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Egret, do you by any chance work for or are connected to Fusion?
Mac
Old 12-10-2013, 02:14   #5

I don't, just like the Fusion concept and design. I like a boat that has room but does not sacrifice performance to much to have it. Most of the production boats I see these days have lots of room but have poor offshore ability when you speak the truth. The whole reason to have a catamaran is to have a boat with some room and a good turn of speed. most sacrifice one for the other, the Fusion/Lidgard design sits nicely in the middle so why not say a few good things. Also even though the kit is made overseas (for now) at least you can have it assembled in Australia.
Old 12-10-2013, 15:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by egret View Post
Hey has anyone heard about Fusion International being sold to new owners. I here they are getting everything going again and have a new focus on not just selling the kits but also complete boats?
It appears that you knew the answer to your question.

Before anyone jumps in and signs up to get a Fusion assembled "professionally", either in Australia or elsewhere (Thailand, etc.), I strongly recommend that they find an owner of such a vessel and discuss the assembly quality. Preferably find an owner who isn't trying to sell!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 18:25   #7

I had tried several times to contact Fusion Mackay when I heard of the sale but could not get through, when I did get through, yesterday, I got the facts about the sale of the moulds. I wanted to know as I am seriously thinking of buying a kit and having it assembled by Fusion Mackey and then finish it myself. Hope that clears up that question.
Because of the above I am keen to here any feedback that is constructive on the experience people have had when building this kit boat.
I know of 3 boats that were built in Thailand because the owners wanted to save money but it cost them in the end because the builder they used was to say the least a crook. They had to finish them themselves. I know Fusion Mackay have built 11 boats to various stages with their crew and there is no problems with quality and they service the boats that they can every year so they must have happy customers. I also know of some owner builders, not just Fusion builders but other kit boats who expect to get something for nothing and then complain when they don't get what they wanted. All I can say and this goes with everything not just boats, is that you get what you pay for so you should do your homework on who you get to build your boat or work on it and what backup they will give to the work they have done.
Sometimes a bit of extra money spent is worth it in the long run.
Do you have a Fusion or are building a boat as I would be interested in your comments?
From my research so far I know that some people have been dis-appointed with the backup they received from the previous owners of Fusion Int. but also I know some of them would not be happy no matter what was done for them. No-one has said a bad word about Fusion Mackay other than the builds have taken a bit longer than they expected but there has been reasons for this. Others I have spoken to have been extremely happy with the whole project. I want to be one of those so I want as much info as I can get before I go to the next step.