Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2012, 05:38   #1
Cap

Boat: 1984 Witness 35 Catamaran
Fuel Polishing System

I know there are many threads about fuel polishing systems, but I haven't run across answers to the following questions.

Considering I have a 1984 35ft. Witness cat, with a 17ft. beam and I'm putting the polishing system in the port rear berth:

1. Will I have issues with the starboard engine starving for fuel? The engines are 13hp Nannie diesels. Would a typical fuel pump be able to handle the extra distance, or would that be straining it?

2. Would I need check valves in the system?

3. Should I include an in-line fuel pump to ensure the starboard engine will get plenty of fuel, or would that cause problems?

The polishing system I built brings the two tanks together to go through the polishing filter and pump, but each tank can be isolated in order to polish the fuel and return it to its proper tank; or I can move fuel from one tank to the other, or bypass the polishing system all together.

My concern is the extra distance I'm creating for the starboard engine. I'm also moving all filters to the polishing panel to ease maintenance; except the filters on the engines, of course.

Would running the fuel through the polishing system while under way cause any issue? This would basically mix the fuel from both tanks, and then split it out to both engines, but the polishing pump would certainly alleviate any issues about the whether or not the starboard engine fuel pump could handle the increased distance...

Have I missed anything???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jeff
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel