Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2015, 05:47   #1

Ft Lauderdale Boat Show - Multihull Sailboats?

Ft Lauderdale Boat Show is early Nov 2015 and I'm curious, especially from those who've been multiple times, are most popular multihull sailboat manufactures typically in attendance at this obviously big show?
From the current list, it looks like 'not.' Leopard yes, but no Fountaine Pajot, Catana, Lagoon, etc.?

Sometimes the lists of manufacturers and those displaying at boat shows lags till the last minute, so maybe more is to be expected? I'd go if the show is greatly promising with sail borne cats, but it's not like I can hop across the country on a whim.

More generally, the question becomes where does a neophyte to cats quickly see as many examples as possible so as to in person, get up to speed with what's out there? ...as I expect just looking at photos on the web mostly just doesn't cut it.

If you're curious, I'm in San Diego, so as relates to cats, they're few and far between here.
Thanx.
lcdemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 06:15   #2

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Re: Ft Lauderdale Boat Show - Multihull Sailboats?

Ft Lauderdale the area is a great place to look at used cats. For new cats at the boat show not so much, it's primarily a powerboat show. The Miami show in February has a good selection.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 07:06   #3

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdemack View Post
More generally, the question becomes where does a neophyte to cats quickly see as many examples as possible so as to in person, get up to speed with what's out there? ...as I expect just looking at photos on the web mostly just doesn't cut it.
Well, you're on the right track. For North American residents, the east coast boats shows - Annapolis and the Florida shows - have the most density. The problem, as you note, is that some boats are sometimes conspicuously absent. This is mostly because most boats present at shows are privately owned whose buyers get a benefit (usually in new sales price) if they agree to have their boat in the show. When that doesn't happen, no boat. North American reps of European or S. African builders do not keep inventory like a car dealer.

Otherwise, a strategy for you can be to ID some models you're interested in from other sources, then locate a similar used boat of the same builder on Yachtworld or other listing service and go look at it. Then there's always charters....

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 07:16   #4

Boat: 40' Leopard

I went to both shows and Miami was a good show Ft Lauderdale was a bust .
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 08:27   #5

At the Miami show, they have a special little Marina for the sailboats. Lagoon dealers are always there. Many others also. Around 4-6 multihull.

Ft. Lauderdale everything is scattered. Very few new for some reason, at least the last time I went years ago. Saw a few used, 10-20 as I recall. I really liked a Catana 581 bluewater edition at the time, just couldn't pull the trigger.
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 08:29   #6

Boat: WTB: Lagoon 400

Last year I was at the Annapolis Sail boat show. All big cat manufacturers were there, plenty of cats to walk on and to check out.
This year's show is coming up, October 8th to 12th.
United States Sailboat Show | Annapolis, Maryland

I'm also in the market for buying a cat (not new though) and will go again this year.

Dirk
Dirk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 09:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

I would recommend the Annapolis Boat Show 8 - 12 October. If you make it - drop by and see me at either the ASA booth or The Multihull Company booth.

Beam Winds,

Chris
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 10:18   #8

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

I live close to Ft Lauderdale and attend both Ft Lauderdale and Miami boat shows each year. And I own a Manta 40. Very few multihull sailboats at Ft Lauderdale (if any).

Miami will have new cats in multiple sizes from all the major cat designers - Lagoon, Leopard, Catana, FP, Gunboat, Nautitech, St Francis, Antares, Seawind, Outremer, Vogage, etc. The bigger companies bring as many as 6-7 different sizes (35ft-70ft+)

You'll also find many used cats showing there.

I'd also recommend the US Sailboat show in Annapolis in October. You can pair that with Cruiser's University and go take some test sails on the cats.

Good luck finding the right boat.

Jason
Breathe
Manta #49
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 10:18   #9

Community Sponsor

Absolute most complete Multihulls boatshow I have seen is in "La Grande Motte" - South of France, in April, here you can find most if not all of the World's multihulls shipyards exhibiting. If you come from San Diego it's not that much on the "next corner" though...
Just after that comes the Miami boatshow
Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 15:19   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher44 View Post
I went to both shows and Miami was a good show Ft Lauderdale was a bust .
I'm sure glad you went to the Miami Boat Show! How is the L40 treating you these days???
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 08:49   #11

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Another vote for Annapolis!!! I've never been to the Fort Lauderdale show, but I have been to Miami. Miami is a really nice show.. but, Annapolis beats it hands down for Catamarans. The show this year is in early October (I think it's starts the 8th). I HIGHL recommend going in early for the VIP day (which is Thursday). it's just a little more than the other show days.. but far fewer people... so, you can really crawl around them.

Since you are new at this.. that's the place to start.
My husband and I are still "shopping" but we are a neophyte like you. going to the shows is the BEST way to see tons of cats.. ask questions.. etc. At the shows you can see what each manufacturer's designs look like. We aren't going to buy new.. But, the boats we've seen at the shows, are the ones we are NOW looking to buy used. So.. it's VERY valuable.

Also, they have tons of good classes, etc to take advantage of. There is an experience called "couples take the wheel". My husband and I signed up for that. It's 4 hours or so of 'classroom'... and then you get to sail 2 boats. It also includes enterence to the show. And, if you talk to them, they let you apply the value of one day to the VIP day. You can contact me and I'll give you the lady's email that can set that up for you.

If you decided to go. drop me a note, and we can meet up. We've learned a TON in the 2 years of learning we've already had.. We'd love to get together for drinks and chat...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 13:08   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I'm not in the market for another boat. I've been to the Miami show, the St. Pete show, and Annapolis. No question the Annapolis show is our favorite. In fact we have reservations for this fall.

Everything is in one location, boats and vendors. Bought my liferaft there, great deal.

We will spend a couple of days at the show including the somewhat more expensive first day, fewer crowds. The main reason for going is that it gives us an excuse to visit. My wife and I really enjoy our stays there. Wonderful restaurants, a marine salvage store just a water taxi away, and for you that same water taxi lands at a place specializing in used cats. Last time we were there I believe there were about a dozen on display.

I also like it because it is very dog friendly. Several of the shops on the way to the show keep bowls of water and dog biscuits on the sidewalk. I'm a dog lover if you can't tell. Maybe that's why I don't own a cat. 😜😜😜

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 05:53   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

ft Lauderdale show is powerboats. But Sunsail has a facility in Dania Beach to liquidate used charter cats. Also on Las Olas Blvd you can talk to Caroline Laviolett of the Catamaran Company. Both places let you take a close look at major brands, albeit used. Annapolis October is the premier show for cats. Strictly Sail Miami is second best.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat show, hull, multihull, sail, sailboat