Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: A Multihull friendly marina
Yes 3 60.00%
No 2 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2008, 19:25   #1

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Exclamation Liveaboard ONLY marina

If someone was to build a marina with the main WANTED users are good, wellbehaved liveaboard cruisers (probably mainly Multihull sips) would you want to have such a place? how many people do you think would be happy to see one such maria? What would you consider a resonable slip fee? and what amenities would you like to see at such a marina?

This is not a joke depending on feedback and funds this cruisers dream may become a reality
Old 30-06-2008, 19:31   #2

Lightbulb Friendly Marinas

would anybody here be intersted in a marina built to where for once multihulls payed lower slip fees than a mono?
Old 30-06-2008, 19:34   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Little O -- Now, that is a business I would patronize!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 19:39   #4

Thanks for answering drifter, Mabye I could use income from a multi marina to buy a boat? Any tips on the type of stuff you would like to see at a marina like this you can post here or in the liveaboard section.
Old 30-06-2008, 19:45   #5

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I would be disappointed if they were too well behaved.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 19:49   #6

It would. But its nice to have good neighbors.
Old 30-06-2008, 20:03   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Otter View Post
If
users are good, wellbehaved liveaboard cruisers
Cruisers wouldn't be living there.

They would be cruising.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 20:08   #8
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
An all live aboard marina would have way more people around all the time. Noisier, more people back and forth at night, etc. The marinas I have seen that had lots of live aboards were trashier. I think because everyone wanted grills, storage, etc. on the docks, so they put up with more from others. More people working on boats. Just busier and noisier in general.

The above is definitely a generalization based on my limited experience, but I think it is probably correct on the average.

My marina has live aboards on a few docks (mine is one). The live aboard docks tend to be the trashier ones with older, less kept up boats (some engineless houseboats, etc.). My dock is the exception. Only about 25% live aboard and nicer kept boats.

I like having just enough people living there to where there is always someone around that is checking on my boat, but not so many that it's a crowd.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 20:18   #9

Okay well then how about a marina built specially for multihulls, where monos pay higher slipfees?
Old 30-06-2008, 20:25   #10

I think it depends a lot on the size of the marina and a little "pre-screening" where we are now it is mostly live aboards, although a good percentage go north in the summer, during the winter there's maybe one or two boats that aren't live aboard, right now they are all live aboard, but it's a small marina, they will hassle you if your boat looks like crap or you have a bunch of junk on deck so it stays pretty nice. There's also a lot of people who use this as their base but are only here 3 or 4 months a year.
Old 30-06-2008, 20:28   #11

Interesting, where do yall think people would like a marina for multis and live aboards?
Old 30-06-2008, 20:30   #12

I forgot this but it would be nice if we got the whole forum on this thread so spread the word if at all possible.
Old 30-06-2008, 20:43   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I'm not clear what a multi hull friendly marina would be? Why would a marina offer a discount based on the type of boat? Given the real estate nature of a marina how could they do that and survice? Length at a marina is usually less a factor than beam. It may work where draft is the issue but I would think you still don't have to offer a discount.

More to the question is would anyone think an unfriendly marina would be a good idea? I could be for friendly marinas pretty much without any conditions or boat types. We just need more of them almost any place there is water.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 20:47   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude9.5 View Post
I think it depends a lot on the size of the marina and a little "pre-screening" where we are now it is mostly live aboards, although a good percentage go north in the summer, during the winter there's maybe one or two boats that aren't live aboard, right now they are all live aboard, but it's a small marina, they will hassle you if your boat looks like crap or you have a bunch of junk on deck so it stays pretty nice. There's also a lot of people who use this as their base but are only here 3 or 4 months a year.
I spent a month on Nettles Island around Christmas '06, Lat9.5. For those who don't know the place, it's one square mile dredged out of the Indian River, with some very nice homes on it (as well as some crap "park model" trailer homes). It's guard-gated, so not a lot of riff-raff get in.

Are you in the little marina right on Nettles Island - on the left side after you drive over the bridge? It's small, but most of the vessels I saw there were well-kept. I liked the location a lot, but the place got slammed hard by two hurricanes (Frances and Jeanne) within three weeks in 2004. The place was devastated, and the land-owners all received significant assessments for common-property repairs.

Do you have a good place picked out to run to if another one bears down, Lat9.5?

TaoJones
Old 30-06-2008, 20:55   #15

Yea I am at nettles island, it's a pretty small place, but we like it. Nice people, nice and quiet during the summer. This place was ruined by the hurricanes and basically rebuilt by the people who live here (on their boats) the marina is totally separate from the housing development even though its within their gates.

I'll be pulling out across the river in the event of a hurricane I'm not going to keep her in the water. I've given a lot of thought as to what we would do and came to the conclusion that on the hard we may have some damage but she aint gonna sink.

Tags
marinas