Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2017, 07:46   #1

Boat: Nautitech Open 46
Freydis Hurricane damage

My Freydis 49 Cat. Fell off the blocks in Nanny Cay boatyard in Irma. Insurance co is asking us to remove one keel to check for hull damage.
Anyone know if the keels come off. I was under the impression they were sacrificial. Definitely no bolts in the hull. Emailed Tournier but no reply.
Anyone have an idea how they are attached. just epoxy?
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 08:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Freydis Hurricane damage

Just out of curiosity, are the hulls a light green, and did the boat spend a good bit of time in Village Cay? I am in Nanny Cay, myself. As for the keels, can the surveyor not find out if they are sacrificial, or might some other surveyor know? If your surveyor is from off island, he might not know cats, but Geoff Williams and Bill Bailey know lots of cats. Chuck Kanter wrote a book on cruising cats, with drawings and personal comments from his years of surveying. If I remember correctly, there was an entry for the Freydis. He might know. Best of luck.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 08:19   #3

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

when my Nordhavn 46 fell off the jacks and drove the port stabilizer into the owner's stateroom, I didn't even fly down to look at the damage. The yard ape though he could take a jack out before putting in a new jack, to paint under the pads. Bad plan.
Old 15-10-2017, 08:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel sails View Post
My Freydis 49 Cat. Fell off the blocks in Nanny Cay boatyard in Irma. Insurance co is asking us to remove one keel to check for hull damage.
Anyone know if the keels come off. I was under the impression they were sacrificial. Definitely no bolts in the hull. Emailed Tournier but no reply.
Regards
Paul
How far did it fall?
Old 15-10-2017, 08:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel sails View Post
Regards
Paul
Your insurance company asked, 'hull damage'? OF COURSE there will be hull damage.

Best advice? Call the builder about BOTH keels.
I believe there will be stress and spider cracks under the paint so you will have to strip each hull and house looking for cracks. The integrity of the tanks will be in question too. Pressure test them to specs provided by the factory. The electrical connections may give you trouble too.

The damage will follow the boat's documentation forever.

Take lots of pictures before they move it.... and try not to let them move it before you employ maybe 2 unrelated surveyors to evaluate the hull, at the expense of the insurance company.

Best guess, 'construction loss.' Take the money and run. You will never get all the money you put into it. When the yard give you static, remember the phrase, "But you broke my boat."
Old 15-10-2017, 08:50   #6

Bill Bailey is the surveyor who asked us to remove the Keel
Yes she was kept at Nanny Cay. Sea foam green hulls.

Just off the blocks maybe a few feet.

Regards
Paul
Old 15-10-2017, 13:39   #7
Marine Service Provider

I doubt it will be totalled, unless there is lots of other damage, but I will take another look. Quite a few cats did what yours did. Whether she fell off the blocks or floated off is a good question. Yes, the surge did get higher than one might expect, Most of the boats that came off their blocks (which were only a foot or so high) broke one or more keels. Some are being fixed already.
Old 15-10-2017, 13:43   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Your insurance company asked, 'hull damage'? OF COURSE there will be hull damage.

Take lots of pictures before they move it.... and try not to let them move it before you employ maybe 2 unrelated surveyors to evaluate the hull, at the expense of the insurance company.

Best guess, 'construction loss.' Take the money and run. You will never get all the money you put into it. When the yard give you static, remember the phrase, "But you broke my boat."
Not to quibble, but if you hire " 2 unrelated surveyors", never a bad idea although probably overkill in this case, YOU are the one that pays. The insurance company pays for their surveyor, in this case Bill, which is why they are not obligated to share the survey.

Nanny Cay is doing a good job in a truly chaotic situation, and they didn't "break your boat". The storm did, which is why you have hurricane insurance, or should.
Old 15-10-2017, 19:22   #9

She is fully insured. We lost the mast and rig. Plus the hard top and solar.
Not sure about anything else.
Walter at Maritime marine services is the boat manager. He and Bill Bailey will figure it out I was just trying to find out if anyone had removed a keel from a Freydis.i think the builder is just about retired I've sent numerous emails over the years but no reply. A couple of the French speaking owners who are members on this site have occasional contact with the yard. Maybe they know / can find the answer.
Nanny cay, vessel manager and insurance co have been prompt answering any questions.I believe they will share the survey. So at this point just trying to help them with questions they are asking me.

Regards
Paul
Old 16-10-2017, 04:27   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Have you tried contacting Eric LeRouge the designer? He may have some good input.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 13:31   #11

We are in the BVI sadly saying goodbye to Cheorae our Freydis 49. Insurance has declared her a CTL and sold her to a couple who intend to make the repairs themselves. It was too much of an undertaking for us to repair her in the BVI.
On a happier note we spent some of the insurance money and chartered a FP lipari and made a vacation out of it.
This is how we shall remember her.

Not sure what our plans going forward will be. Considering a charter boat the upkeep in the BVI was substantial and we didn’t use her as much when the grandchildren came along

Regards Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	302CA549-C01D-4A27-A550-44A2C445209A.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	165707  
Old 08-03-2018, 13:58   #12
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Sorry to hear that, absolutely beautiful boat.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 16:13   #13
Marine Service Provider

I have gotten to know the folks who bought her.....seem pretty nice. No idea of how much expertise they have, but they will probably have a lot by the time they launch. We shall see.

Sorry for your loss.

cheers,
Tim
Old 08-03-2018, 17:11   #14

I’ve given Peter and Regina a crash course in Rotating mast,, spectra water makers and lithium batteries, hydraulic steering, fail safe relays, self tacking jibs, 135 Genoa’s, screecher vs code zero, running back stays I didn’t even start on the electronics B and G 5000 series. They seem keen to learn and I wish them the best of luck with her. I do worry that she is a complicated Boat for a 1 st time cat owner though.
But I stressed they have to be conservative with her, nearly 2000 ft of upwind sails area
Regards
Paul
Old 13-03-2018, 18:08   #15

Hi, working our butts off with fibreglass repairs to both keels (structure inside amas, too) and the port rudder...we do plan a conservative approach to sailing Cheorae. As Paul mentioned it is our first cat, although we have sailed for 25+ years. Launch date is still a way off...ten days to two weeks, maybe longer...
Peter
Ontario32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane