Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2009, 23:54   #31

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Hi Peter

The Maverick cockpit does seat quite a few people, cruisersforum.com has taken a video of all the new cats from the Cape Town boat show which includes the Maverick so you will be able to get an idea. It is so important to see the boats in the flesh to really compare quality of fittings, joinery, quality of veneer used, floorboards, stainless steel etc. For me that is where the lagoon falls down. If one can get over the boxy look, there are some clever features, but badly let down in the quality department. You do not want a boat that looks worn out in two years because of bad joinery and fittings.
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 02:13   #32

Thanks. Has the video been posted yet? As we are finding these forums hard to get around as a newcomer. Could you tell us how to get into that video as it will be very helpful. I agree that seeing is the best, but short of flying huge distances from one show to another, theres no way for us to see them all in one place (from NZ).
peter windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 07:42   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Hi Peter there will be a Lipari 41 on show at the Mandurah boat show just to the south of Perth 9th-11th Oct. or contact multihullsolutions.com.au and if you ever decide to step up to something a little larger come over to Sydney and look us up for a day out on the Orana we own.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 02:11   #34

Boat: Beneteau 393
The Lagoon 400 is not only cheap-looking, but bland. The choice of colours for the uphostery is incredibly limited. Compare that to the range of colours offered on the Lipari.

The alpi veneer is better than the old-fashioned gloss mahogany finish. But is is so dull and cold compared to a cherry wood finish, in our personal opinion. But, it's not possible to change this wood finish.

Our suggestion is to re-upholster in much brighter colours, change the curtains for coloured ones, and perhaps consider some bright cushions. The finish around the edges of the chart-table instrument panels leaves a lot to be desired, so new panels with a different finish would be included in our plan.

Despite our serious concerns about the poor finish, we feel that the ergonomics of the 400 are better than the Lipari, and the personalisation will make it a better boat to live in.

For the price we can afford, we are happy with the 400. We would have bought a boat by now, but sadly we are unable to source a berth in Jersey as there is a 3 - 4 year waiting list.

If there are any of you in Europe thinking of buying a 400, please pm me and I can point you in the direction of an excellent dealer offering discount. Ditto anyone interested in a boat-share!
nikki-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 23:20   #35

Thanks,unfortunately no lagoon 400 at Perth. nikki -m i think you are on the same track.This is the conclusion we are arriving at.We have all but ruled out the lipari.We have started looking at the Maverick also,but this also looks a bit dated on the inside.These boat builders/designers need to spend some $$ on interior design.If you want to see a good galley/saloon check out the Fusion 40 on the net(the one in NZ )Boats are still mostly being furnished like something from the dark(wood ) ages! Maybe this is because it seems a male dominated industry? I guess as long as there is "piss" in the chilli ,meat for the barbie and somewhere for the "sheila' to boil the jug all's sweet mate ! How come the interior has to look like hell the minute a sail is added? Look at some of the launches are we so different ?Is it because they drink gin on the back and we are expected to drink boxed wine (The rocking spills anything half decent ) Come on Cat and sail builders give us something modern ,2009 looking even!
peter windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 16:46   #36

Boat: lagoon 57 cat 'merlin'
interesting comments, mostly spot on from my experience, regards sinking, I have heard of smaller Lagoons and some S.African cats going down, and know of 4 Privilege 482's that did not sink, 2 with broken thru hulls due to stuff rolling around in the bilge in heavy seas, filled one hull and after being abandoned by the crew motored in circles for 24 hours and were later recovered and put back into service, and 2 that were driven over reefs in hurricanes and after the hulls were ripped completely open below the waterline set down on the bridgdeck, would not sink any further. One was rebuilt, and is still working.
H2OHOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 11:30   #37

Boat: FP Athena 38 Catamaran
I also had my FP Athena 38 in 40 knot steady winds while sailing from Galveston Texas to Naples Florida 3 weeks ago. Hit 17 knot boat speed, felt totally safe. I researched cats for 6 years before deciding upon my Athena. On a beam reach with offshore wind of 15-20 knots with no waves coming down the west coast of Florida, we cruised at 9 knots steady only on the mainsail (had broken our jib halyard the day before). The Privilege I am sure is a great boat, the Lagoon is a comfortable slow boat, and the Athena is quick strong, and comfortable enough for me Mine was never in charter, has genset, A/C, and custom bimini. So far, so good!
Blind Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 09:54   #38

Boat: Woods/Coplan Boats (SA) Ocean Spirit 34
After having owned 2 Prouts I looked at the FPs and Lagoons. From what little I have seen and heard an earlier FP would be my choice. We liked the Venezia and notice they have held their value well, this was replaced by the Belize 43 which we like as well and if I was to go bigger would definitely look for one. These models are tried and tested through both the charter and non-charter markets.
Dont know much about their newer models, they kinda look different and too early to tell.
In the meantime we have downsized and are very impressed with the qualities of our Woods/Coplan cat model Ocean Spirit. Its about 36 ft and 6.2m wide and galley up. Ex charter boat so we are fitting it out. From what I know it has evolved from the Woods Sagitta model and has very similar hull lines below waterline. Its amazing how the builder has managed to fit 4 double cabins and 2 heads without making it look like a caravan. This boat is ideal for our local NZ cruising and is very much offshore capable, but for that extra space for all the offshore gear I would definitely go for a FP Belize if I was to upgrade.
redtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 10:29   #39

From Jeff Cameron

SO many things to consider when choosing your vessel! After 6 years of boat shows and chartering a few cats, I finally realized that good performance was a necessity for me. For a while, I thought the most important thing was a big queen-sized berth, preferably walk-around. So I chartered a Lagoon 420 with electric propulsion. It was incredibly, wonderfully comfortable! But trying to reach a destination to windward, against a current by sundown, and making just 4 knots, was a frustrating experience. I think the windage on the hulls might have even slowed me down. I chartered an older Leopard 45 and found I did not enjoy raising that tall mainsail and maneuvering that large a boat. My two cents is, the Athena 38 is easy to handle, a great performer, and comfortable enough. We have gotten used to the size of the salon and cockpit and we think they are plenty big now. One last thing... Paying to have all the options you want on a slightly smaller boat is better than stretching to buy a bigger boat with fewer options.
Old 29-12-2009, 10:41   #40

Boat: Woods/Coplan Boats (SA) Ocean Spirit 34
Yes the Athena is another FP model that has proved itself and still looks nice.
redtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 03:15   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Faith View Post
SO many things to consider when choosing your vessel! . . . One last thing... Paying to have all the options you want on a slightly smaller boat is better than stretching to buy a bigger boat with fewer options.
Agree whole heartedly.
. . . However I am more interested in your thoughts on FP. I have read a number of threads that state that the writers have found the finish wanting and tend to age quicker then they believe they should. What have you found.
RubyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 06:33   #42

Boat: PDQ32
We chartered a FP Belize before deciding to buy our Orana. One of the things that helped up with our decision was experiencing the time on the Belize where we were quite impressed with the excellent condition of the boat even though it had been in charter for almost 6 years. We had also looked at older Bahias and a Venezia and found them to be standing up well. We are very happy with our choice.
Old 30-12-2009, 13:27   #43

FP hulls

My Athena is a 1998 and had some repair to the bows, so the white of the bows back about a foot is whiter, than the white of the hulls. At 12 years old they are not shiny like a mirror. So you might have something there about the hull finish not standing up, I don't know. I have to look into whether there is anything (short of painting) that can bring back some shine.
Old 31-12-2009, 00:33   #44

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
dull gelcoat

Hi all,
Dull gelcoat is not something that is not only a FP problem. Seen it on a lot of other boats. It's lack of maintenance! I have a frend that is maintaining his 3 year new Mahe 36 meticilously and she looks as good as when she came out of the mold, if not better!

So, cleaning the gelcoat thoroughly, polish even more, then to layers of hard waxing whith machine polish and you got that brand new look. A lot easier to keep clean as well.

Sounds like hard work, and it sertainly is, but invite some of your crewing friends and the task don't seem that dounting. A few beers and some good food and it will be a social gathering as well.

Can only recommend the FP from experience, have had an Athena and now a Belize, very happy with both. Sailing is great with both and you will keep a very reasonable average speed on both.

The only problem with the Belize is that the cocpit door arrangement don't keep the water out of the saloon! The bottom rail sits inside of the main bulkhead and thus any water that finds it way onto the door ends up in the rail gutter. This gutter is provided with two slots that should drain the water into the cocpit step. Unfortunately this is not what is happening beause the water instead drain inside between the rail and the main bulkhead. Very annoing so best keep any water away from thge door. I have tried to get FP to provide a rectification advice but no luck there!

Happy lead free sailin
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 03:16   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by liqidone View Post
Hi

I am looking to buy my first cat as a livaboard and island/coastal cruiser.

My research has eventuated in 3 vessels of choice (no balsa) with my preference the FP as I cannot find any bad reports on them (outside of light construction) and I like the performance and the fact these 38' vessels cross the Atlantic under their own sail.

I am in Australia but looking to buy the vessel in the USA - Carribean area maybe stay a while

Liqidone
Can I ask why choose 3 French built Cats in the US - when in Australia there are some excellent designs as liveaboards and cruising catamarans.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege